Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How to start a diet.
Pappy2013 posted:
How do you start a diet when you know it's not going to work.

mog1026 responded:
Awwwwwwwww. You dig really really deep and you tell yourself it will. And you keep telling yourself it will until you start to believe it. And when you doubt the fact that you are believing it, you come here and we will believe it for you. Start small. Do one little thing differently each day Eat a piece of fruit. Or skip a soda. Get a sense that you have taken a step forward and then you'll be ready to take another.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

rohvannyn responded:
Why would you start a diet when you _know_ it's not going to work? And how do you know it's not going to work? Is it because you've tried lots of diets before, and they didn't work? Or is it maybe, just maybe, because you want to be able to say "I tried, but it didn't work, so now I can go back to killing myself with food with a clear conscience because I'm the victim here?" I have done that before and I admit it.

How about this as an alternative. You want to lose weight and feel better, right? Give up the wish for instant results. They don't happen. But do a little research, accept the excellent support available in this community, and start making small changes.

Do not do it all at once. Make one change, ingrain it in yourself. Then make another. Start kicking the junk out of your life and welcome in that which is good and healthy for your body and mind. It's hard and it can be scary. With help, you can make it. Just don't sabotage yourself before you even begin.

Welcome to the group!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mardee responded:
I would have to agree with the ladies.
Dont start something KNOWING you are going to fail. Just DONT DO IT!!

Either have a better mind set going into it and making yourself BELIEVE you can do it. Or dont do it at all.

Find something that really works for you and dont give up!

I bet every single person in this community has tried many, many, many things that did not work for them. I know i did. Either it was not for me, or i did not care enough or have the motivation to do.

GOOD LUCK and WELCOME!!
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

jis4judy responded:
Find a better way Pappy we don't diet here we make changes to the way we eat and look at food the way to start changing your lifestyle is to look closely at your eating habits and make changes to what you choose to put in your mouth..
stay away from packaged foods eat more fruits and vegies steamed or baked whole grains are better than things made with white flour become an avid label reader choose lean cuts of meat in proper portions Journal every bite choose fat free dairy nuts in moderation .. get a food scale so you can weigh the foods and know what you are eating .. being informed to what you are eating is the best place to start...
make sure you eat on this plan starving will make you gain weight eventually /
welcome aboard Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Pappy, welcome.
Tell us a little about yourself. What you eat , be honest,
If/when/and how much your exercise right now and what you do for exercise if anything.... it's ok to say you sit on your butt most of the time and vegetate.... we all did that's how we ended up HERE .

I also want to say that giving yourself an "out" like KNOWING YOU ARE GOING TO FAIL.... that's like getting married with the full knowledge "banked" in the back of your mind that "hey, If it fails we can always get a divorce!"

Easy outs. Being able to blame others for our own stupid actions. Setting ourselves up to fail and giving ourselves PERMISSION to fail..... it's why we are FAT .

You cannot give in to your inner child. You don't get to give yourself permission to exit stage left if it gets too tough to handle....so STOP THAT CHILDISHNESS RIGHT NOW and PUT YOUR GROWNUP PANTS ON.

Put baby in the corner and meet our journey head on with a goal in mind and KEEP IT IN MIND.
Remember... you've been fat for YEARS , it's not just gonna FALL OFF in big chunks.... You're gonna have to WORK it off.

you are the only thing standing in your way, move and let it happen.

huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Pappy2013 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you for your advice. I never stop to think about it that way.
I used to eat all the wrong stuff and still do, but not as bad as I use to do. Since it is summer and fresh produce is around I try to keep some around the house.

I have not really started exercising yet, but planning on soon. I thought about making a schedule for what exercises , what time and for how long.

Thank you again.

totallywiggedout replied to Pappy2013's response:
Pappy, since you are new to the game, I'd like to point out our Community RESOURCES link.....

sign in ON THIS COMMUNITY Page and clik the RESOURCES at upper left .
(I say on this community page because every community has it's own member initiated links, these are ones that some of us have tried and approved because 1) the recipes are GOOD and fast and easy enough and 2) the exercises links are for every different body out there. Arthritis, super obese, LAZY, newbies anyone can do these exercises that are linked there without too many problems.

Scroll the resources page till you find our recipes and the one for Exercises with Utube videos.... all of these suggestions are FREE and the vids are downloadable right onto your computer in a REALPLAYER that is on your desktop so all you have to do is clik realplayer, and clik library and your vids will come up to use.

The recipes are simple. The regular ones are community member "donations" of good , healthy eats. Try some , I bet you'll like em .

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

3girlsmom replied to Pappy2013's response:
Pappy,
I would say stop trying to plan so far ahead. I used to do that and that is what would sabatoge me....my husband reminded me last week that even if i make it to the gym for 30 mins its more then i am doing, so its something! As i work out more i will stay longer.....you have to start somewhere. Just put on the clothes and jump!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story........I am a 40 year old wife and mother of 2 who is sick and tired of being morbidly obese. Last year I was denied the Gastric Banding surg...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 27 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.