Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I have no will power
jiggysmommy posted:
Please someone, give me advice on how to get this going??? I have zero energy and no will power. When I look in the mirror I just cry, how did I get this way?
How can I change my attitude and go foward. I need to lose 50-70 pounds to be healthy.
Does anyone have any advice for me?
Thanks,
Jiggys Mommy

mog1026 responded:
Jiggy, meet Pappy whose post is a little below yours. The same advice applies to both of you who seem to be in the same boat. Of course it's the Titanic and we're all passengers too, so start rowing!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

mog1026 replied to mog1026's response:
Sorry, I think that sounded flip and I didn't mean to. How to start to diet is the post that Pappy started. It would be helpful to read it and see that you're not alone. Basically start small and then you can come here and brag about what you've done. We'll give you lots of support. We ARE all in the same boat so we understand. Do one healthy thing tomorrow!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

rohvannyn responded:
Welcome, Jiggy's Mommy. It's good to have you here too. The one piece of advice I could offer, other than starting small and taking it one step at a time, and reading lots of old posts on here, is improve your self-talk.

I understand wanting to be truthful by admitting hard things like having no willpower. Nevertheless, there is an old saying: what you feed, grows. So watch what you are focusing on. It can be helpful to repeat positive phrases to yourself, until you believe them. Put another way, you can't get will power unless you practice. And practicing doing things the wrong way only digs you in deeper and ingrains the belief.

I wish you the best. You aren't alone on this! I too really need to work on being positive and improving my self talk.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Jiggysmommy. Welcome!
Is jiggy a HUMAN baby or a pet? It's a fair question in this group of pet lovers and owners, so I figure I'll ask and get it outta the way. Humor me

What do you crave? Do you have a GIANT all you can eat Sweet tooth or are you more of a "carry a salt lick in your pocket" kinda girl?? Maybe it's neither and you are strictly Fats and Fried foods...... OR
Do you crave ALL THREE.... sort of a "deep fat fried Snickers bar sorta person"?
am I getting warm here? Or is it gettin HOT in here?

Man! talkin about all these subversive foods is giving me hot flashes!

But I'll let you in on a little secret.... we've ALL been there and done that. If we had had will power our whole lives, do you think we'd be HERE?

Me? before I started my journey, and a few times since in all honesty.... I'd just as soon eat an entire 9x13 pan of gooey brownies or a dozen donuts as anything else.
THAT , my dear, is why I don't BUY them. I even went so far as to change my normal driving route so that the donut shop was no longer in sight every time I went out to shop because it was a HABIT to stop for a donut (or three) every time.

That's the first step. Determine what is the MAIN diet killer that is HABITUALLY purchased and consumed.
Not the dessert splurge when you go out . NOT the occasional birthday cake..... NOOOO

I'm talking about that Pepsi, or Mt Dew that you buy every day. ALL of them in fact.
OR
that "really good for you FUSE or 16-20 oz Fruit Juice
OR
That king sized MOCHACHINO with a muffin chaser every morning.......

Cut ONE of those every day for a week and you'll save anywhere from 900 to 3600 calories in that week. Cut the entire TYPE of snack from the whole day for a week ... like upwards of 3 pepsis a day.... and you could be talking several thousand calories saved.

Baby steps. Change one thing every few days to a week that you can live with. Then just keep going.

huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

mardee responded:
Hello Jiggy

Every single one of the ladies here are amazing! Make sure to listen to what they have to say.

I assure you that i was in this same boat not to long ago.
What worked for me and helped me get started that to find my motivation.

Look at the big picture and ask "why do i want to be health/lose weight?"

At first for me, it was just so i could look good in other clothes and not be worried about my "fat" showing.
That was a good start, but not enough to keep me going.
I had to look at the BIGGER picture. I do not want a million and ten health issues, i dont want to be on multiple medication just to keep on living. Thinking about diabetes really scares me. I happen to like having both of my feet

Either way, find the core of your motivation and build on it.

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME =D
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

abnersmom responded:
Welcome Jiggy's mommy! Everyone has given you great advice on how to start. I don't have good will power either, so like Kim says, I just don't bring foods that I cannot resist into my home.

Good luck and glad you have joined us.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

SharonNVirginia responded:
I'd like to add to what Roh said.

Have a picture of the person you want to be. Not your weight, but what you want to be able to do, what you want your health and mood to be, how you want to look in clothes etc. Now you'll have the desire to do that one thing today that will help you get there.

All my buddies here know that several times a day I count down from my current weight to my goal weight including landmarks: 218, 217,216,215 (50 pounds down),214, 213, 212,211,210, 209 (last time I was this weight was 10 years ago), 208 (should be able to wear a size 20)...It gives me the desire to bypass temptation because I want to weigh 215 NOW!!

Good luck!
Sharon
CW 219 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

Spotlight: Member Stories

I recently took the plunge into stay-at-home mom-hood. I have four children, ranging in age from 1.5 to 17; two are step-children and two are by pregn...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.