Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Heroin addiction versus food addiction
SharonNVirginia posted:
When a heroin addict is trying to kick the habit, he can have a friend stand by him for several days as he goes through withdrawal.

When a food addict is trying to kick the habit, he can't just quit eating. Really rich food addicts can check into a fat farm for a period, but sooner or later they'll still get out. Instead of swearing off food altogether, the food addict has to manage his addiction.

The heroin addict can cleanse his home of his drug supplies and paraphernalia.

The food addict cannot unless he lives alone and even then his healthful choices if eaten to excess will cause him to backslide.

The heroin addict can watch TV without worrying about encountering positive messages about heroin use.

The food addict can't watch TV for more than 10 minutes without encountering messages equating food with happiness, good times and friends.

The heroin addict can go to a restaurant and the waiter will not say "Will you be ordering heroin?"

The food addict can't go into a restaurant without the waiter saying "Will you be ordering dessert?"

The heroin addict can wear regular size clothes.

The food addict can't.

At social gatherings, people don't urge the heroin addict to just have one dose, because it's my own special recipe.

At social gatherings, people urge the food addict to just have a small piece because it's my own special recipe and then shake their heads scornfully saying all it takes is willpower to lose weight.

So-of course fat folks are jolly, because the joke's on us.

Smoochies,
Sharon
CW 216 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

jis4judy responded:
all of it is so true! the thing is though we can stop buying the trigger foods and keep them out of the house.. that works for me most of the time and I record shows so I don;t have to watch commercials .. just a few ways around a few of the situations. Hugs Judy:) a food addict especially chocolate and anything sweet
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mardee responded:
Wow, that is all so crazy to think about!
Thank you for posting this Sharron. And BTW, i love the new picture!!
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

SharonNVirginia responded:
Rachel, Sweetie,

This thread's for you. Forgive yourself! Look at your Pizza Hut record. You stopped at 2 pieces! I'll bet that's better than you used to do, cause I know I used to eat 4 and have regular soda to drink. Measure yourself against where you used to be. Keep working on getting where you want to be one baby step at a time. Remember the idea is to get there. Anything which discourages you along the way should be jettisoned, including perfectionism. Why don't you take your own snack for weekend nights? Air-popped popcorn, nuts, whole grain crackers, a yogurt or fruit. Just try to make the next most healthful choice.

Your breakfast choice is the one which has worked beautifully for me. You can add a little cinnamon for sweetness and flavor.

Remember girl, we are swimming against the tide. The tide of The Standard American Diet (SAD) is all around us. Rather than criticize ourselves because we aren't escaping it as fast as we want, we should praise ourselves for each SMALL victory and know that if we don't exhaust ourselves we will, like Judy and Debbie and Amber, outlast the tide and free ourselves.

Smoochies!
Sharon
CW 216 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

rachael2011 replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Thanks Sharon. I saved this. I have come a long way...you were right I used to do a whole lot more damage at Pizza Hut. I suppose I don't need to follow the Food Addict's Ann. website to a T to admit that I am a food addict and adjust accordingly. It's funny...I was so upset last night and today I looked back and honestly laugh at myself.

Hope you are feeling better.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 286.8 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

justmejust replied to rachael2011's response:
Atta girl Rachael! You are on your way. Mentally getting there is a big part of this journey to healthy food and lifestyle.

Hugs
Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

mog1026 replied to justmejust's response:
Rachael! Look at how far you have come! Add up those numbers and be proud, girlfriend! We KNOW how hard it is and you've done it.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

Spotlight: Member Stories

One day I awoke from an emotional coma and found I was 100 pounds overweight. Years of rejection and coping left me lonely and isolated...from myself....More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.