Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What does success look like to you?
rohvannyn posted:
I was thinking it would be nice to have a thread where we shared what kind of person we are working toward being. How will you know when you've gotten there? If you have already reached your goals, when did you know you had succeeded? What was that like? I'll post my response below so the thread isn't too hard to load.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y
FirstPrevious12NextLast

rohvannyn responded:
Here is the person I would like to be, someday. My mind keeps saying "be modest, don't say what you really want, you won't get there, you'll jinx it" but I'm moving past that.

She weighs 135-140 pounds and much of it is muscle. She is wearing tailored clothes in a somewhat severe cut because there's no need to disguise anything. She has a lot of strength and endurance. She looks everyone in the eye and she speaks calmly and thoughtfully, and has an active and flexible mind.

She is at an art gallery where her works are on display. She speaks knowledgeably and affably with all around her, remembering names and faces, being confidant in her abilities. A wealthy patron has just bought another work and she intends to spend part of it, taking her spouse out for a hundred dollar hamburger in the light aircraft she flies.

She still lives in relatively modest surroundings and is not fabulously wealthy, but makes a good living through her art and other jobs she does. Her healthy body gives her plenty of energy to get lots of things done, and her active mind, supported by good nutrition, lets her absorb new information quickly. She has her head up and doesn't need to hide.

(Looking back on that, I realize it would be a good exercise to replace "she" with "I," but you get the idea.)
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh you sound Like you know where your going I knew I was on the right track with my nutrition quest because my health improved at first it was little things like more energy then it was less pain .. It took 3 years on plan then the life long struggle I had with asthma went away I haven;t needed meds since 2006
it was more recent that I got the good news on my eyes some of that is because of new medicine that wasn;t available early on .. But to hear that the medicine injected into my eyes worked better in me than in anyone else getting the shots ..
that's when I knew my nutrition quest was doing what I intended it to do . I am a more active woman basically the same as I was before just healthier and more excited about living .
I am happy with myself the way I am defects and all
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn replied to jis4judy's response:
That's so wonderful about your eyes! I like how you are happy with the way you are. My ideal self has flaws... it's the way she deals with them that is the difference. I don't see myself as beautiful, for example, when I imagine myself as ideal, just really fit.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy replied to rohvannyn's response:
me too Roh I never considered myself beautiful although my hubby calls me that everyday . I grew up as the ugly duckling of my family all My older sisters even the younger one were way better looking than me I resemble my Dad they all looked more like my Mom . But I do like who I am today that wasn;t allways the truth but it is now .. Now I had a beautiful Mom and 5 beautiful sisters ...But I think I am smarter than they are LOl
Hugs Judy:)

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rachael2011 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh- I just wanted to thank you for posting this. It got me thinking and I answered this in my journal (and it is way too long and personal to post here). But the question got me kind of excited about the changes that I need to make about my job (which I love) and money (which I need more of!). Also there are things in my "successful woman" that I don't need to wait on..I could be doing right now like volunteering or taking tennis lessons. Finally, there are some things that I am happy with and don't intend to change (unless I have to) like the relationships w my family, my boyfriend or where I live. Thanks for getting me dreaming!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 286.8 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

rachael2011 replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, Your hubby calls you beautiful everyday bc you are! You are also a testament to healthy eating.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 286.8 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

blondie454u responded:
I am a much better than I was. I still have work. I don't have patience for my children. I actually am ashamed of it because it's deeper than that. I am trying to have a better relationship with God to help me with this issue. I also need to work on being more forgiving. I have improved my self esteem and confidence in myself but I need to work on that toward others. I don't know if I will truly succeed but I know I am headed in the right direction. Having self confidence and a better self esteem has done wonders for my life. I have gotten a better job and better people in my life because of it. I hope I answered your questions correctly.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

jis4judy replied to blondie454u's response:
Amber when people talk about the terrible 2s that's not the truth it is the teen age thing that rocks the boat ...
I worked and had teenagers at the same time it really isn't the easiest thing to do and can be very frustrating they do eventually grow up so hang in there and do the best you can you don;t have to be the best mother in the world just the best you can be to your children that varies with each of us ..
Hugs Judy:)..

abnersmom responded:
Hi Roh, Nice thread. I can say that reaching my weight goal and maintaining it has given me more self confidence and self esteem. Physically, I am a different person and if you'd told me last year that I would be running at least 3 miles 5 times a week, I wouldn't have believed it. Very empowering!

I continue to work on my spiritual goals which include a more intimate relationship with God. I want to improve my meditation practice as well. Meditating has helped me with stress, but I can do more.

Long term, I'd like to do more with my church and do some volunteer work. I just can't fit it all in with my work schedule and what little social life I have.

I am better about falling into gossip traps, but I still participate sometimes and that is something that I strive to NEVER do.

I like myself better than I ever have and don't do as much negative self-talk as I used to, but I still catch myself. Definitely will continue to work on that one.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

rohvannyn replied to rachael2011's response:
Awesome! So glad to hear that, Rachael! It's really neat to recoqnize what we like, as well as what we want to change. Hopefully the list of things we like will grow as we go along. Thinking about what we want to see ourselves as is so important, and I don't do it enough. We can do it.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

rohvannyn replied to blondie454u's response:
Amber, it isn't about answering my questions correctly. Your answers are correct for you. I personally was focusing on what achieving my goal would be like, what it would feel like, and what my goal was in the first place. It's one thing to come up with a list of goals, it's another to imagine what it would be like to actually achieve them. I feel that some people, such as myself, need to prepare themselves for success because it can be as difficult to deal with as failure. More so, actually. Your goals are definitely good ones, though!
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

sittingbull594 replied to rohvannyn's response:
this is a great thread! I think for me I want to be better looking as this weight has just badoogled me. I want to like myself so that I can also feel better about myself inside.
I think taking action to loose weight which I have this week helps empower me. I would like to feel God with me all through the day... and have his awesomeness shine through me to help others ON a daily basis.
With all the things I deal with on an emotional level I would like to see myself handle these things easier and easier and like the serenity prayers says wisdom to know the difference.
I want to grow my hair long and have the courage to let it become its natural grey and brown color.
When I leave this earth (not of my will but Gods) I want people to say yup she was a great person and I admire her.

I will know that I've reached these goals the day someone not on my deathbed or after my death tells me geniunly that I'm a great person and they admire me. Ha ha and that I feel that for myself.

asj0013301 responded:
I always imagine my future self being much more zen. More patient, more accepting, more wise. I imagine having all kinds of great habits, making the best possible choices, and setting a good example for my son.

I want things to come easy to me again. There was a time not so long ago that I could turn over a garden by hand in an afternoon. I often forget that I'm not capable these day and when I make these attempts I'm exhausted in minutes.

I want to feel like the best possible me again. I used to know no jealousy, no envy. I was proud of who i was and if any one thought i wasn't good enough that was their own problem.

I don't think I'll ever feel like I've "gotten there" I just appreciate who I am while recognizing that I always have room to improve.

blondie454u replied to jis4judy's response:
Yes the teens are the hardest part so far. I am trying to do all kinds of things to help myself and them so we can understand each other. I am working on accepting the fact that's all I can do. I can't make them listen to me. I have to remember they are teenagers and this too shall pass. It's not my fault that my step daughter was raised by an awful person that has taught her to be the way she is and I can only help her with it only if she accepts my help. My son is going to be in for a real treat if he doesn't change his attitude but he has to figure that out himself. It's so hard for me to accept all these things. They scare me and I have to find an outlet so it doesn't bother me so much. When they don't listen to me or accept that Billy and I are going to be together forever we just want to lock ourselves up away from them cause we can only take so much of them. We don't of course but I know I will be glad when this is over. I probably sound awful for saying this stuff but I talk about so I can get tips and advice to help me. Thanks for listening
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 32 I have 4 children ages 8,9,12,and 14. I dont think I over eat! I just dont eat the right stuff :( at least thats what i make myself believe. I...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.