Excersize Idea that are easy on joints?
asj0013301 posted:
Hey, I'll start off with a little bit about me. My name is Amber I'm 24 years old and the mother of 1 beautiful 2 year old boy. I never had much trouble with weight. In high school I was in great shape, ate all I wanted whenever I wanted and was never more than 130lbs. I was very, very happy with my body, How it looked, and how it performed. I climbed trees, played what we called ninja tag ,etc.

That all changed about 3 years ago when I met a wonderful man to start a family with.

My pregnancy was bad. So bad. I didn't have "morning sickness" I had "all day sickness"... intensely. I had to quit both of my jobs (at subway and as a waitress) because I could not stop throwing up long enough to work a four hour shift. Being new to the area I didn't really have friends or any thing to do during the day. So I slept. I played video games. I ate any thing I could keep down. I always felt awful physically and emotionally. And I gained weight. About 60 lbs.

After my son was born I breast fed and I was absolutely ravenous at all times. So I said to myself "Just wait until you're done breast feeding, then you can worry about losing the extra weight" But that time never came. When caring for a baby there's little time or energy for caring for yourself. And to do so just seemed selfish.

Now it's 2 years later and I haven't lost a lb since giving birth. At 5' 0" tall and 170lbs I am obese.

I realized that I need to some drastic changes. I started tracking everything I eat. Turns out I only consume about 1200- 1300 calories a day.

Meaning I should be losing weight right? So to turn my metabolism back up I've been trying to exercise, but failing. It's not that I'm not motivated. I'm just in a lot of pain. It seems that everything I do hurts my joints and bones. Even toe touch stretches make my knees feel like they"re breaking.

So my question is, does anyone have any Ideas or experience with workouts that are easy on the joints?

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard! It might be a good idea to see a doctor and ask questions about your joints. Let them help you with the movements you can perform. Being so young you shouldn't really have any joint problems but I am not doctor. I know stretching helps my husband with his joints. Also you still may not be eating enough. The starvation mode is typically under 1200 calories but everyone is different. Try increasing the calorie intake. Make sure every calorie that you eat is something that is going to benefit your body. Stay away from process foods. Eat whole natural foods. Sugar is really bad for your joints and a lot of prepackaged food has a lot of hidden sugars in it. I am sure others will have more info to help you. Good Luck!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

mardee responded:
HELLO and WELCOME

Here is a link that i found helpful

http://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/patient-support-12/slideshow-ra-exercises

But like amber said, talk to your doctor. And also, if you do not know your limits, do over do yourself and also, dont do any thing that hurts.

Good Luck
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

sittingbull594 replied to mardee's response:
pool exercise is the easiest and if you walk in the pool and do 10 leg extensions side, front, and back... There are stretches too that you can do in the water. Very productive the water.
You can always take baby with you. I go in the warm water pool. Probably not good idea for baby.

walk 5 mins. do extensions walk 5 mins. I don't know unless the link above has stretches what are easy ones you can do in the water.

Have you thought about getting a referral to a physical therapist? you'd be surprised how well they can help you!
Of course then its up to you to follow thru what might be a lifetime of p.t. by yourself. It can be done tho. Just really hard. But of course i'm only talking from my experience and I've had major surgery on both knees when I was a kid.

Nip it in the bud before it takes off onyou. THe important thing too for knees are good stable shoes! Even in the house.
Flip flops are the worst thing you can wear on your feet.