Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Update on my sister
abnersmom posted:
Some of you will remember that my sister had a kidney transplant in June, so I thought I'd update you on her progress. It has been a rough time, but she is finally turning the corner. The kidney is functioning well, but she has had issues with fluid retention which is a fairly common issue. The doctor put a drain in her abdomen a couple of weeks ago and it has been successful in getting rid of a lot of the fluid. She has felt so much better since she has lost this fluid. She is a fan of horror movies and has asked to go see The Conjuring today, This a major event! She's hardly been out of her house in 2 months! So we will go to the movies this afternoon and hopefully, many more in the future.

In many ways I have her to thank for my journey to better health. I have helped take care of her for 4 years now and her health problems were a wake-up call for me to take control of my health. Sadly, she still doesn't eat properly nor does she exercise, but I only have control over my behavior and I am going to be the best role model I can be.

Never lose sight of the fact that our journeys are not just about removing weight, but making our bodies healthier for a better quality of the life that God has given us.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Oh Deb I am so glad your sister is doing well too bad she doesn;t follow your example.. My older sister is doing great at 81 she mows her own lawn and has a garden paints her own deck .she is a wonder to me she is also diabetic... but managing it well
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

justmejust responded:
Debbie, so happy for you and your sister. Have fun at the movie! I agree, I remember every day that removing weight is about making my body healthier for a better quality of life.

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

justmejust replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, that's fantastic your sister can do those things at 81 and manage diabetes well. If I mow my lawn again and tend my garden and sweep my porch at 81, 91, 101 I will be a happy woman!
Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks Judy and Laura. Your sister and you are amazing Judy! My other (the oldest, I am the baby) sister is 66 and in great shape. She just got back from a mission trip to Ethiopia for 10 days. She is constantly on the go and is in fantastic shape.

Got to get ready for the movie now. Have made a batch of chicken barley chili and put it in individual containers in the freezer and baked 2 loaves of whole wheat bread in addition to running this morning. I hope I don't fall asleep in the movie.

Have a great Sunday everyone.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

ausgram replied to abnersmom's response:
Have fun at the movies. I hope some how your sister will see she needs to eat right. Maybe your exempt and your 66 yr old sis will be a great influence on her. Lets hope, huh? Well, I'm happy she is doing so good. Thanks for the update.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -188; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

blondie454u responded:
That's great news Debbie! You can only live by example. Maybe since she is getting around more she can see what you do and she will pick up on it. Who knows! Our bodies and life are a true gift from God. We should honor that gift by taking care of it. I hope you ladies had a good time at the movies.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

abnersmom replied to blondie454u's response:
Thanks Amber. She is the real horror movie fan, but I just love going to the movies so I enjoyed it too. I'm hoping to get her out to do something this weekend - it would be nice to have her go to church with me, but that hasn't happened.

rohvannyn replied to abnersmom's response:
As a kidney patient, does she have odd eating requirements, like not eating too much fiber, or too much of certain nutrients, or eating white flour rather than whole wheat? Or is that just for dialysis patients?
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

abnersmom replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hi Roh,

Her diet was much more restrictive when she was on dialysis, but she still has to have white flour and rice. They monitor her potassium and phosphorus levels as well, so she has to stay away from potatoes, bananas and some other foods. She's also on Warfarin (sp?) so she cannot eat dark green veggies or drink green tea. Since she doesn't cook, she mostly eats frozen prepared meals anyway. Sad, but true.

ladylavender replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi, Debbie. FYI - For warfarin (Coumadin), the updated school of thought is that dark green leafy veggies are too important to leave out, and the rule of thumb for making it work is to eat the same portions consistently (e.g., 1 cup of spinach on Tuesdays), and let the doctors orchestrate the warfarin around the diet. Warfarin is very adjustable.

It would be important for the person on warfarin to be consistent about their dark green leafy veggie intake in order for that to work.

Food for thought.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

abnersmom replied to ladylavender's response:
Thanks, Abby. If only my sister would be consistent about healthy foods in any form I would be so happy. She won't even eat a salad with baby spinach. LOL! It's iceberg lettuce only for her which is pretty much like drinking water.

justmejust replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie, well I am thinking of two thoughts about your sister's unhealthy eating. First, ice berg lettuce may not have much nutrition per serving, but the water and fiber content are still helpful along with the lack of calories from other foods she could be eating. It is a much better choice than all the calorie fat laden processed foods. So it is a start. Have her throw cherry tomatoes, green and red pepper and a few sunflower seeds on top.

Also, you remember how poorly we all were eating before our journeys? No one else chose for us, we knew the right things, but chose the wrong foods anyway for so long until we chose differently. It is a choice as you well know for each of us.

I am 100% behind your sister and your support of her and role modeling and encouraging! I hope it will be a road with a happy path!

Laura
Laura

abnersmom replied to justmejust's response:
Thanks Laura. We don't discuss food anymore. It is a losing battle and we've actually had an argument over her hiding cookies, etc. that she shouldn't be eating. Have let trying to change her go, just still wish she would do better.

Totally agree about how I used to eat and I still slip so, I keep my mouth shut.

She is a type 1 diabetic and has been on insulin since she was about 16 years old. It is quite a different disease than the type 2 that most folks have. I often wonder if I would stay on a strict diet if had walked in her shoes.

justmejust replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Debbie, I have a friend who takes blood thinner. She likes leafy greens and has the same amount each day and gets regular blood checks that are good. She does not have diabetes though.

Was your sister thin before she was diagnosed with diabetes as a teenager?

Laura
Laura

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a mom of three great kids, and the wife of an incredible husband. In all I'd like to lose about 90 pounds....but I am planning to break it do...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.