Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just Joined Community
thepearlturtle posted:
Hi, I just joined this community today, and I wanted to introduce myself. My first name is Brenda, and my beginning weight is 183 lbs; I would like to reach 130 lbs at some point over the next year or two. I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes two and one half years ago, and I am now taking four insulin injections daily - three fast-acting before meals, and one intermediate acting at bedtime with a bed snack. I have been on insulin for two months now, and prior to starting on insulin, I was losing weight on a regular basis since last fall. However, I gained five pounds back in June with three mealtime insulin doses added to my diabetes regimen, but I did manage to hold my weight steady in July. It is still discouraging to have lost the progress I was making, and I am discouraged to say the least, having learned that insulin is a growth hormone. I also have had my thyroid gland burned out as the result of Grave's disease, so I am on thyroid replacement medication.

In WebMD, I am tracking my meals and bed snack daily, as well as my exercise, which at this point, consists of one hour on a stationary bicycle each day, and the house work that I am doing. It is not much, and I have not been consistent, as chronic pain is also problematic, but I want to become more consistent, and I am hoping that being a member of this community will help me to do so.

Thank you all for your support.

Brenda

jis4judy responded:
Hi Brenda welcome aboard weekends are kinda slow here
But I am sure someone else will also welcome you
I am not sure about diabetes but healthy eating and living has to be good for it ...that's what we try to focus on here the healthy habits for life thing . we have a few members with diabetes so hopefully they will join in on your welcome
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

justmejust responded:
Hi Brenda, and welcome to our community. We offer a lot of support here. Thanks for sharing about yourself. I am happy that although you regained the weight you are committed to continue efforts to lose. It may be more difficult for you to lose weight with diabetes diagnosis, but maybe losing the weight will also help reduce the amount of insulin you need. When it is more difficult we just have to try harder, as a friend said to me. I take synthroid for hypothyroid. However, try to be grateful that thyroid issues are the least troublesome of health issues to have.

I also regained half the weight I had lost, and now am losing again. It feels so much better to keep going, keep trying to be healthy!

Keep posting please!
Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

sittingbull594 replied to justmejust's response:
hi Brenda

i'm new too. this is a great community. WELCOME!

sb

thepearlturtle replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks so much, Jis4Judy, for welcoming me; it is great to meet you!

thepearlturtle replied to justmejust's response:
Hi justmejust,

Thanks so much for your encouragement and support; I take Synthroid, too, and I am grateful for your warm welcome and positive attitude! I look forward to moving forward and working hard to lose the weight I gained back, as well as continuing to lose more, and also getting to know the wonderful people in this community.

thepearlturtle replied to sittingbull594's response:
Hi sittingbull594!

Thank you so much for your warm welcome; I look forward to getting to know you and others in this community and encouraging one another as we work toward our weight-loss and healthy living goals!

mardee responded:
Welcome!!
I am glad you found us! I do love this group, they help keep me motivated and I in return, so whatever i can to help them.
I hope we can help you on your journey!!
Mardee
SW 200 - GW 125 (and healthy!)
Be motivated!!

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard! The others have given you some advice. Also remember progress is progress no matter how slow it is. It was better than you did before you started losing weight. You're gonna slip because we are not perfect. The key is to make the next meal or snack a better choice after the slip. I hope you stick around. Good luck!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been battling my weight since I was 3 years old. I have been on many diets and with many agencies and doctors. I am looking for support and ide...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.