Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Good Morning All
shelsangel posted:
Welcome to the new ones. Yahoo for me lost 3 lbs last week. Yesterday went swimming with hubby and grand daughter for 1 1/2 hours was good exercise. Today after work lots of errands. Tomorrow gonna start a stationery bike workout. Trying to be real careful not to reinjury the knees.
Everything happens for a reason. HUGGS

j9celeste responded:
Congratulations!!

Be careful with your knees honey and have a great day.

xoxo
Janine
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous 286-1/6/ 13-CW 264 GW 165

jis4judy responded:
Hello angel
sounds like you are doing fine planning your activities
allways start your exercise with caution in mind because getting injured can make it harder to continue ..
and you get stronger as you progress.
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

sittingbull594 replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi
I am in the same boat with joint problems. I have found some really great p.t. for them (when I do it right?) It's hard sometimes to be consistent with the exercise when you hurt.

Make sure you're icing your joints because that will help immensely with pain and inflammation. I ice 3x a day usually.

sb

totallywiggedout responded:
Congrats Angel on the 3 lb loss. Just take it slow with your knees. When you start on the bike, put it at the lowest resistance. You just want to warm up the joints and not put pressure on them which could cause injury or excess swelling.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

shelsangel responded:
Thank you everyone for all the advise and encouraging words. I know I have a long road ahead but I'm going to take it 10 lbs at a time, just so I don't get discouraged.

shelsangel replied to jis4judy's response:
Thank you Judy. I know it's gonna take time and I have to do it real slow. HUGGS Jean

shelsangel replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you for the tip on using the lowest resistance. Do you happen to know how long I should use the lowest or just go by how my knees feel? HUGGS Angel

totallywiggedout replied to shelsangel's response:
Morning Angel, my pt put me on the lowest resistance for two weeks , with thrice weekly sessions. Basicly the way it was explained to me was that it was always better to just add time on the machine than to add resistance. You'll know when to add some notches of resistance when you stop having to ice em so much.

hope this helps
huggs
k

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

abnersmom responded:
Congrats on the loss Angel!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

Yes it does. Thank you HUGGS Angel

totallywiggedout replied to shelsangel's response:
Angel,
When I first started my journey, Jan of 2012, I couldn't imagine doing much exercise at all. I didn't walk well without a cart or someone to help me. I weebled when I walked, which put major strain on my left hip, rt knee and lower back.
I'd walked with this rocking motion for over 7 years mainly because I couldn't be bothered to SLOW DOWN and walk like my physical therapists taught me to. Basically, I retrained myself over the years to walk wrong because I was in a rush all the time.
Best thing is to take it slow. Pay attention to your gait. HOW you walk is as or MORE IMPORTANT than how far or how fast you walk. Your joints take the strain if you are doing it wrong.

Same thing with riding a bike. Make sure you pay attention to the position of your knees when they come upward on the upstroke of the pedals. Don't let them rotate outward or inward because on the downstroke it'll torque them causing that nasty swelling.

If your knees or your inner thighs are weak, there is nothing wrong with supporting the outside of your knees with your hands as you bike to hold them in the correct position.

Just be careful. Really pay attention to your body.
Don't push too hard..... 30 min of biking that causes 3 days worth of pain , resulting in NO EXERCISE for that 3 days, is counterproductive.

huggs
k

sittingbull594 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
thanks for the advice on the stationary bike K. I never knew that and now I know why I could never bike successfully.
will try this!
SB: Starting weight 258 Goal weight 150-160

Shoot for the Stars.......

Thank you for all the helpful tips. I could only ride for 10 minutes last night, my knees and rt hip starting hurting really bad. Yes I did watch my knees and at what angle they were in when they came to the up position. So I decided to only bike twice a week for about 4 weeks then try to increase it. I will however swim more as that is low impact on my knees and doesn't hurt as much. My doctor said that swimming is great exercise and my knees won't hurt as much. HUGGS Angel

blondie454u replied to shelsangel's response:
Congrats Angel!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

Spotlight: Member Stories

My weight has crept up on me through many years of negligence - over eating and not eating the right foods. I love fresh fruits and vegetables but I a...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.