Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
SMART goal setting
totallywiggedout posted:
Setting Realistic Personal Goals for Weight Loss

Personal goals are simple to make, but can have a tremendous influence on your outlook. By completing the incremental goals you set for yourself, you can closely follow the little improvements you're making on your way to your ultimate goal. Because the scale's reading is a relatively poor indicator of how your health is progressing each week, these smaller goals can help you see that, even when the scale is frustrating, weight loss surgery is doing you a world of good.
To start bolstering your success with personal goals, make them SMART:
  • Specific. The more details you plan out on how you'll accomplish a goal, the easier it will be to reach it. Think about the when, what, where and how. Do you need anything to get started? On what days and at what times will you be working towards your goal? For example, don't say you plan on working out more this week—say you plan on walking in your neighborhood for 30 minutes four times this week and make sure you have everything you need to do so.
  • Measurable. You won't know when you've reached your goal unless you have some way to measure your progress. Make sure you have quantifiable criteria and a way to record them each day, like a journal, spreadsheet or smartphone app. For example, you can measure how many times you go for a walk, how many miles you walk, how many minutes you walk and, if you really want to get detailed, the calories burned and heart rate reached on each walk.
  • Attainable. There's no point in striving to reach a goal you will never realistically achieve. Though it's important to challenge yourself, your goals should always be within the realm of possibility. If your goals aren't attainable, they will frustrate you (which defeats the purpose).
  • Relevant. Your goals should be related to your weight loss progress in some way, but remember that this doesn't mean they should be focused on the pounds you're losing. Instead, think of other aspects of your health and lifestyle and why you want to improve them. Do you want to cook more because you enjoy learning new ways to make healthy meals? Do you want to exercise more because you love the way it helps you relieve stress?
  • Time-bound. You'll need set start and end dates for your goals to keep you motivated to reach them. A week works well for many minor goals and you should make sure you don't give any one goal too much time. Remember that you can give yourself an extension if necessary.

I'm tired of being overweight. I've not been setting goals. I've just been floating along like a piece of flotsum in the current.

Yes, I've been upping my exercise and Yes, I've been upping my calories with good choices but I HAVE NOT been setting goals. I need to start so that I can hold myself accountable.

It's now Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2013 at 1 am Louisiana time

My name is Kim. I live in Northern Louisiana, but I'm a true Michigander at heart. I come from the Great Lake State, I not only wore mittens but LIVED in one.

I'm proud of who I am and look forward to what I aim to accomplish.

I weigh 178.4 lbs right now. and NOW is as good a time to start as any.

THIS is hereby the BEGINNING of the next part of my JOURNEY
Final Goal weight 135 lbs

First Mini Goals : 172 lbs by the morning of September 1
and to banish snacking "in bed"

With you as my witnesses, this is a pledge , a promise to me, FOR me. Because I'm worth the effort this is going to take.

huggs
k

Kim SW 252 CW 177.8 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

FirstPrevious12NextLast

abnersmom responded:
Kim, I teach these very principles of goal setting in my college success courses. The research out there about reaching goals indicates that people who have WRITTEN goals that meet the criteria you have listed re overwhelmingly the most successful.

There is an old study out there about Yale graduates that were asked about written goals when they graduated. Only about 10% of the graduating class had written goals. Interestingly, when the researchers followed up in twenty years. That small percentage that had written goals were wealthier than 90% of their fellow graduates. Of course, success shouldn't be measured in dollars, but still I always found that study interesting.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

mog1026 replied to abnersmom's response:
Holy ----! Kim, you're not kidding are you? (Unless this post was a form of Midnight Madness) I'm hearing a single word reverberate in my ears and that word is.......CHALLENGE! CHALLENGE! CHALLENGE! Now where did I put that old wool cheerleading outfit, it must be around here somewhere..... "Go Go Where Where, We want a Pound Down over there!"
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

rachael2011 responded:
I too have been floating along. I have been setting things I want to do like not eating after 8 or cook more, but none have been time specific or really measurable. This is just what the doctor ordered. I have been over emotional and over-needy lately and a good goal that I can work toward is a great thing to sink my teeth into. Thanks, Kim! Will let you guys know what I decide later.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

sittingbull594 replied to rachael2011's response:
Wowzers! This is so helpful as I've been starting to set goals for myself for my emoitons the last couple of weeks. I had the goal to watch the sugar for sure. I'm doing pretty good in that dept. but need to do more.

After watching part of the sugar video What a shocker!
Nixon too! amazing! hmpf!

It's so amazing to come here and find all of the helpful information and the kudos you get for being healthy WOwZers!
nuff said
SB: Starting weight 258 Goal weight 150-160

Shoot for the Stars.......

SharonNVirginia responded:
I plan to start entering my weight, blood glucose and exercize attainments in a diary tomorrow. Beginning now, I will always have homemade meals in the freezer so as not to be tempted by less healthy choices. How the scale behaves is not in my immediate control, but journaling is in my control.
CW 216 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kim sounds like a good plan I never had the eating in bed thing going but late night tv and I used to munch all night long
that is why I made my cut off time no food at all after 8 pm
I can have water or a cup of tea but no food ..
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to abnersmom's response:
Debbie, that Yale study is VERY interesting indeed. I have never been a "list maker" ... I always just seemed too constraining and boxed in.... I'm more of a "fly by the seat of my pants" sort of person. I love spontenaity , but I see with my journey. I just CAN'T be that way. I need the rigidity of making myself conform and fit IN the box, instead of always thinking outside of it.

I can't be one of those people that eat the same thing every meal. That, I just cannot do. But I have found that as long as I vary my dinner and sometimes my PM snack, I'm feeling like I have some control over the way my body is adjusting to this new portion of my journey.

Something is clicking (I think, and hope) because during the day, I don't get ravenous and I don't think as much about food. I think I was just overthinking the food part of my journey when my energy would've been better spent DOING SOMETHING with my energy.
Thus the gym.
I kill myself every day and I feel like a pheonix rising from the ashes after my workouts.

But , for all of you who don't have gym memberships , do the free video searches for different exercises on UTUBE.
Tai Chi
exercises for arthritis
exercises for seniors
Seated exercises
Belly Dancing for beginners
Zumba
The Pussycat Dolls 4 min workout....

google any of them with UTUBE at the end and you will find a plethora of different things to do, right in your own living room, that are FREE to download .

Don't let yourself stagnate. ANY movement is going to burn calories better than sitting on your butt.
EVERY type of motion counts toward your daily exercise goals.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

rachael2011 replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
I love the goal of always having homemade meals in the freezer. Good idea!

rachael2011 responded:
Here is my goal: My Dad's wedding is coming up on 9/21. I am currently on the low end of a size 26-28. Today, I bought a dress that is a size 22-24. It's got stretchy fabric and a little wiggle room. I am going to look good in that dress. I will do this by staying at the low end of my calorie range at least 5 days a week and continuing to do my treadmill time(usually) or other walking for at least 40 minutes at least 4 days a week. And of course the no eating after 8P thing. I think it's a doable goal.

totallywiggedout replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy, nuh ungh....when the next challenge happens.. I expect you right there next to me so I can keep an eye on you. lol
In other words. You don't get to be a cheerleader till pass muster in boot camp and NONE of us really have.
Well, maybe Laura, but she doesn't count cause she's a pod person do to an Alien taking over her body, lol

Laura, just kidding. If you aren't too busy with your job and all those exercise classes, we'll be expecting to see your pretty face front and center for the next challenge.

Don't ask when though, as I really have no idea. I need to get more comfortable with my workout routine and my HUGE intake of food right now to compensate.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177 GW 135

MendeeK responded:
Thanks for this and your u tube post. I'm new to this web site and need all the tips and inspiration.

totallywiggedout replied to MendeeK's response:
FOLKS! WE HAVE A LURKER!!!!
PLEASE WELCOME MendeeK!!
Thought you could slip in under the wire and just make a comment huh? No! I'm pulling you into the light of day so that you can GROW and become a full fledged member of this wonderful group!
TA DAAAAAA! POOF! you are now a member of the community.

Mendee, since you like pointers to help you on your way..
have you seen our community's RESOURCES link ? It's up at the left of the page. Just click it and you will find our personal recipes and favorite recipe links..... and another link for exercises that have passed muster with members. These arent just pulled from the web or advertisers, these are things we have either developed ourselves or have used and found "shareable". In other words, they are easier, delicious , fun, and attainable for everyone's abilities.

Glad to have you aboard.

huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 177 GW 135

jis4judy replied to MendeeK's response:
Hi MendeeK

welcome aboard share with us what your goals are
many minds make this an interesting site we are all the same but different as well ... Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn replied to MendeeK's response:
Welcome, MendeeK!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've always been "chubby." And I have spent majority of my adolescence trying to be skinny and failing. The lowest Ive been is 157. I no...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.