Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
weight 253lbs only 5'2", my weight goal is 160lbs do anybody have any tips or suggestions
mscutieface posted:
I workout but still having a hard time losing weight.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi cutie, welcome to our community.
First off , start a food and fitness planner either here on webmd, fitday.com, livestrong.com or wherever you wish. They are FREE tools that are excellant for finding out exactly how many calories you are taking in (you'll be surprised). You have to add in everything too. No cheatsies. If you cook with a tblsp of olive oil that has to be added. If you taste while cooking, every single taste must be added(I go with a standard 8 calories per tiny taste), Even seasonings have calories, did you know that?
It all has to be added up.

It's nice that you "workout" . But, you will never be able to workout more than you have the capacity to eat.

Here's an article for you on this.....

The Weight Loss Digest Natural weight loss at home with diet, nutrition, fitness, and training tips from theory to practice Burning calories: Amount of exercise required to burn 3500 caloriesIf you do not want to sacrifice food to lose weight, burning calories through exercise might be your best option. Learn how much exercise exactly you'd have to do to burn 3500 calories.
About cutting calories and burning caloriesIf you're trying to lose weight without cutting calories, so by not eating less, you can opt for burning calories by only exercising or by dieting wisely.
The saying goes: "You can always eat more than you can exercise".
So you'll have to exercise a lot for burning calories that is equivalent to cutting the same amount of calories through dieting.
To lose 1 pound of weight , you have to expend or burn approximately 3500 calories.
But how much exercise must you do to burn 3500 calories? Let's take a look at a few popular physical activities.
Amount of exercise required for burning calories — 3500 calThe amount of calories you burn when doing exercise depends on your body weight. To keep things simple, let's assume you currently weigh 157 lbs (71 kg).
To burn 3500 calories, you could:
  • Play squash for almost 4 hours
  • Run at a pace of 11 min per mile for 6 hours.
  • Backpack without a load for 7 hours.
  • Plan tennis for 7 hours and a half.
  • Cycle at a leisurely pace of 9.4 mph for 8 hours.
  • Play badminton for 8 hours and a half.
  • Train with free weights for 9 hours and a half.
  • Play golf for almost 10 hours.
  • Walk at a pace of 3.0 mph for 11 hours.
Contrast this for example with not eating a meal from McDonald's. If you have a Big Mac (540 calories) with large French fries (500 calories) and a large Coke (310 calories) twice a week, this would come to a total of 2700 calories.
If you cut out these two meals from your diet, you'd only have to burn 800 calories through exercise to reach a deficit of 3500 calories.
ConclusionWhile it is not impossible to lose 1 pound of weight — burn 3500 calories — by only exercising, you'll lose weight faster if you combine exercise with a good and healthy diet.
One final note: You're always burning calories just by being alive. This is called your basal metabolic rate or BMR for short. So you can add the calories from your BMR to the calories from exercise.

huggs
kim
Kim SW 252 CW 177 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

j9celeste responded:
Welcome ms cutie face

I LOVE your group name as it shows that you love yourself.

xoxo
Janine
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous 286-1/6/ 13-CW 256 GW 165

j9celeste replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim,

As always you put a smile on my face. Along with the fabulous information, I love your comment about how we have the capacity to eat more than we exercise. How true that is!

xoxo
Janine
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous 286-1/6/ 13-CW 256 GW 165

totallywiggedout replied to j9celeste's response:
I'd do anything to put a smile on your "purty" face Janine!
How's the PT coming along? Is it helping at all?

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

j9celeste replied to totallywiggedout's response:
The PT is coming along nicely and it is helping. My first couple of sessions left me unable to do anything the next day, but it's getting easier now. I'm actually able to do the exercises between sessions. Thanks

xoxo
Janine

totallywiggedout replied to j9celeste's response:
Glad to hear that Janine. It's nice to know that your knees may be able to support the energy you are going to have when you get down another 10 lbs or so. '
Pulling off those homework pt sessions are going to double the effect so you should be noticing some serious changes in your strength and walking in the next couple of weeks. Just keep it up. It'll work.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177 GW 135

jis4judy responded:
Hi MS cutie face
welcome aboard Kim is right exercise is good for our bodies but unless we make changes to what and how much we eat the weight will stay on ... Have you changed your eating habits at all yet? just make sure the changes you make can be life long changes because if you diet the weight off as soon as you return to old patterns of eating you regain the weight plus a few pounds ...
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Welcome!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

justmejust responded:
Hi mscutieface! Please tell us a little more details about what you are doing to lose weight. We love to help one another!

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had a job that involved being at a computer..resulting in health related issues, the biggest one is my weight. I just retired (I think) ...More

Helpful Tips

Working Out
OMG I had a very hard time getting out of the bed this morning to go to the gym. I'm not a morning person, but this morning it was awful. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.