Skip to content
Cheetos
SharonNVirginia posted:
Since Cheetos seem to be the favorite (most difficult to resist) munchie of this group, I was wondering, has anyone read the ingredient list? How bad are they? How do they compare to other snacks? My kryptonite is Tostitos Cantina Style. I can stop at 1 oz. usually. Sometimes I go to 2 oz.

Can we create resistance to these temptations through aversion therapy by repeated exposure to the bad ingredients?
CW 216 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13
FirstPrevious12NextLast

SharonNVirginia responded:
CW 216 SW 265 GW 130

mskelli76 replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
I don't know....but the only Cheetos in the house right now are the Flamin' Hot kid the kids like, I can't stand spicy things so I stay away from them. Bought me some Sweet potato corn tortilla chips today at the store and had as an afternoon snack...they were pretty good (but not as good as Cheetos!)

--Kelli

totallywiggedout responded:
LOL, Sharon..."Aversion therapy".....
Been studying up on your abnormal psychology? Pavlov's Dogs ring a bell?
You can probably do it through some type of therapy but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it'd be more like sadomasochism than the couch treatment.

Here's a bit of trivia for you....
did you know that Doritos would taste EXACTLY the same without their salty, powdered coating? It's really in the chips. But the manufacurers tested and discovered that licking the stuff off of your fingers adds so much to the "DORITOS EXPERIENCE" that they put it on the outsides of the chips too. Cheetos probably does the same.

I don't like Cheeots at all, but still eat them. It's a terrible cycle of eating things that I know are bad, that I REALLY do NOT LIKE, yet find my hands doing the same thing with the bags, over and over and over.

THAT'S insanity.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

SharonNVirginia responded:
Kim,
We all eat things because of some resonance in our memories. What else is comfort food?

How do we change our interaction with food?

Coca-cola and Snickers. My drug of choice. Tired? Coke and Snickers. Depressed? Coke and Snickers. Stressed? Coke and Snickers. I started in college. They go right to the pleasure center of my brain.

I still want them. I don't dare take a taste of either. Giving up sugar is a cinch except for Coke and Snickers.

Our memories are triggered more strongly by smell than by any other sense. How do we short circuit our memories and our emotions? I have an advantage in that I know now that indulging in sugar will give me a terrible headache and cause me to wake up miserable in the morning. Do Cheetos cause any immediate bad effects? Aches, pains, cramps? Orange teeth?

I am working on equating Coke with the horrible sensation I had upon awaking every morning which I describe as having tiny razor blades cutting me from the inside. I know that was diabetic pain. If I can really embed the idea that bad foods HURT, I may have a chance to change my habits for good.

Smoochies,

Sharon
CW 216 SW 265 GW 130

mog1026 replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
I want Cheetos about once a year but Im always sorry the next day because I kind of suck them and the roof of my mouth hurts like crazy later. I think I can live without them and Doritos and potato chips. I can live without coke and snickers. But CAKE, it's been such a looong time since I've had some CAKE.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

SharonNVirginia replied to mog1026's response:
Cake now makes me feel sick. I am going to have my brother's birthday here at the house next month. I will bake the cake, but I will try mightily to resist having even one bite. If I do have one bite, I will WILL stop with one.

Smoochies,

Sharon
CW 216 SW 265 GW 130

totallywiggedout replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
I like cake too, like Kathy. But , it never seems to live up to either the hype that I feel about it , or how good it LOOKS.
There are just a few cakes that still trip my trigger. One is a really great, fudgy dutch chocolate one that is so much like brownies that I don't even frost it.
And a super moist carrot cake (made with pineapple of course) w/ cream cheese frosting.
Those always seem to taste just like I expect them to. Everything else just seems bland anymore. Even the homemade ones. It always seems to be all about the frosting.. you know?

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Oh Kim I am right there with you I make an old fudge cake recipe that is to die for and a carrot cake with pineapple too
those are my 2 favorites in cake I have had the fudge cake during my journey but still avoiding the carrot cake ..
all the other cakes are sort of boring
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rachael2011 replied to jis4judy's response:
The frosting was the source of trouble for me too. I would buy a container of the sugar/ transfat concoction and go at it. It was never too rich OR too sweet. Back when I was married, I did make a mean carrot cake but back then grating all the carrots and the activity of making the cake from scratch was as destressing as actually eating the cake. Haven't baked in years and haven't indulged in my icing habit in a couple years either.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

mog1026 replied to rachael2011's response:
Okay guys, lets all agree that bad cake is waaayyy worse than no cake. And supermarket cake and most bakery cakes are bad cakes. Store bought icing from a tub is disgusting. When I say CAKE what I really mean to say is "GATEAU". I'm talking French bakery, or the slice you get from the dessert menu at a fine (read expensive) restaurant. If I was desperate I suppose I could go for a mix IF there was homemade buttercream frosting involved, but what I really want to do is go to the counter and say, "Bon jour, Madame, I'll have the hazelnut raspberry mousse fiilled chocolat gateau, s'il vous plait." (Sigh) Maybe for my birthday but probably not.

Milton, Paradise Lost

rohvannyn replied to mog1026's response:
I'm so lucky I don't frequent any French bakeries. As much as I try to avoid wheat, my resolve would be sorely tested as j'adore les, um, pastries de francais. I'm sure I got that wrong.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 replied to rohvannyn's response:
It sounds perfect to me Roh. LOL! I don't frequent them either! But look how we've raised the caliber of this thread...from Cheetos to French Patisserie!

Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy I would rather have something like a real treat to slip with believe me Cheetos would be the last thing on my list of things to slip with LOl
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn replied to mog1026's response:
Oui, Kathy!

Right now I am loving something called daifuku. It sounds pretty horrendous to the Western palate, but it is AWESOME to me at least. It's made of a sweet bean paste (basically red beans mashed with sugar) wrapped with a smooth, kind of sticky coating of mochi. Mochi is made of pounded sticky rice and is a little bit like stiff dough. Anyway, I already concocted a low sugar version of this and will do so as soon as I can get some rice flour and some potato starch. That way it's still carbs, but they are very small desserts and filled with nutrients.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

After struggling with PCOS for years I got pregnant at 300 lbs, my ultimate high after pregnancy was 317 lbs. After my daughter was born 3 years ago, ...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.