Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ginger ale- your way!
rohvannyn posted:
This is more of a process than an exact recipe, designed to be tailored to fit your needs. Best of all, you can make it low calorie!

You will need chopped fresh ginger, water, a little lemon juice is optional, ordinary baker's yeast, and sweetner such as sugar, honey, or sugar and stevia combination. You will also need one or more rinsed out plastic two liter soda bottles.

Start by brewing some ginger tea. Boil water (about a cup's worth) for 3 minutes in the microwave is fine) and drop some finely chopped fresh garlic, about a tablespoon per soda bottle, into it. Let that steep while you get the other items ready.

Heat a little water (about half a cup to a cup) to body temperature. Test it like you would a bottle, so it feels just a little warm on the inside of your wrist. Add about a teaspoon of yeast for every two liter soda bottle you will be using, maybe a little less. Add a couple spoonsfull of sugar or honey and mix well, then set the cup or bowl in a warm place for twenty minutes or so until the yeast starts foaming up nicely.

Pour the yeast mixture into your soda bottle/s. Then add water and sweetner to taste, maybe a cup of sugar per two liter bottle, or the equivalent in honey or stevia. It's important to have a little sugar in the mix because the yeast needs food to eat, but stevia or some other artificial sweetener can make up the balance. Mix it all up by the simple expedient of closing the bottle and shaking. Then strain the ginger tea and add that along with a little lemon if you like. Cap the bottle/s and shake them to mix it all thoroughly.

Only shake the bottle at the beginning, before the yeast has had a chance to work, otherwise you will have a mess on your hands.

Now set the bottle/s in a warmish place, room temperature at least. On top of the fridge works well for this. Leave it alone for one day, or untill the bottle feels hard when you squeeze it. At this point, the ginger ale can be safely stored in the fridge.

The yeast will leave a little bit of sediment in the bottom but if you don't slosh the bottles you can pour them without disturbing this layer. It won't hurt anything. I love this recipe because it's all natural and there are infinite variations. Sometimes I add mint or orange juice. If the bottle loses too much pressure, you can put it in a warm place again, and the yeast will start working again, and more carbon dioxide will be made. If your reaction is too slow you probably have too little sugar or the room is too cold.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout responded:
ROH!!! LOL
Read your brewing ginger tea paragraph.... lol , you told us to use GARLIC instead of Ginger..... I'm sure you meant ginger here.....

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Yep, I did. Garlic ale is only good for repelling vampires. If I repost it in the recipes section I'll fix it.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
But then again, garlic ginger ale could cure a tummy ache and keep the vampires at bay all at once. It's a two-fer!

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi It's me-Miamama2 i had trouble with my password and had to create a whole new name but anyway-here is my story-I'm so ashamed to admit but...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
62 of 77 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.