Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just looking for advice
rachael2011 posted:
Does anyone recommend any books, etc on binge eating? You guys who know me know I do pretty well with food choices (albeit w big portions) and then screw up royally. It varies with frequency so I don't think I have Binge Eating Disorder. But this has been going on for a long time. I see my psychiatrist in a week or so and we have never talked about my eating. I am a little nervous to approach the subject w him as other than the food I am doing OK. Or would you go with counseling for food addiction? It seems so expensive though. I could just keep trying to do what I am doing, but the weight loss is so slow at this point. And the loss of control when I do binge is maddening. Any advice would be appreciated.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

SharonNVirginia responded:
Rachel, I applaud you for being willing to talk about it.

I would vote yes on discussing it with your psychiatrist. Some medications can help with this. Even more important, he can help you discover the emotional roots of your behavior. I always think of depression and eating as composed of 2 things: Brain chemistry and emotions.

Pre-children, I used to eat sensibly all workweek long and then while DH worked Saturday and Sunday I would read escapist literature and eat non-stop. When I finally faced it, I realized it was a pity party. Poor me, did everything right. I was a CPA working in a Forbes 500 company making great money. My husband had his own successful architecture practice. But he would rather work than be with me. I realized FINALLY that burying myself wouldn't change him. 30 years later, we are still married. He would still rather work than be with me. But I know that is his problem. I make a life for myself without him. I have more fun without him.

Smoochies,
Sharon
CW 216 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

mog1026 responded:
I don't know any books off hand Rachael, but are you sure that what happens is actually binging? I think all of us struggling here got to this place because we would just mindlessly eat too much of a good thing. Often at night. Even tho our brains said STOP. Especially when you are trying so hard to restrict the foods that are not healthy but that you still want, you are likely to have a night when you fall off the rails. I think that's human nature. Only you know whether the amount of food you consume is scaring you but I haven't seen that when you are posting. By all means talk to your MD. That's why you're paying him But I also want you to focus on how well you have done in a relatively short time. Rome wasn't built in a day and this is a long process. Motivation will come and go and you have to be patient with yourself but steadfast in your desire to be a better weight.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

abnersmom responded:
I agree with Sharon and Kathy. You definitely should talk with your doc about this. For me, doing the work with my psychological issues with food has and is the hardest part of this journey. Finding how to replace the food with other things for comfort and celebration is not easy. Unless I stay very conscious of "what I'm hungry for," I easily slip back into my old pattern.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

justmejust responded:
I agree with the other comments. In the meantime while you are deciding wether to do this, have you tried making sure that some days you eat more calories than other days so that you don't get extra hungry as much. Just choose healthy calories for 75% or more of your calories whenever possible.

My binges have gone away more and more over the three years I have been on this journey. If they come back, I sure hope I am ready. I am not going to give up without a fight!

Best wishes for continued progress on your journey Rachael!

Laura
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

jis4judy responded:
Hi Rachael
what I have learned about emotional eating is that you have to identify the emotion first then deal with it without turning to food . it usually is an emotion that you push away and bury it with food . sometimes it is a habit that we learn along lifes path .
the celebration part is more habit I think
It is a good idea since you are currently seeing a doc for your issues do share this issue with the doc it could be the thing that helps to uncover whatever is making the emotional eating happen
good luck hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rachael2011 replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely talk to MD about it during my appt.

totallywiggedout responded:
Rachael, have you ever considered a one time hypnotist visit? Some do food aversion therapy that is supposed to actually work. IDK how much it would cost, but it's got to be cheaper than psych sessions.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 177 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

If you are going through Hell,keep going.-- Winston Churchill

j9celeste replied to rachael2011's response:
Hi Rachael!

I am a binge eater. I'm not a therapist, but I do know that for myself binge eating is not defined by how often it happens, it has to do with what happens when I start. It's like my alcoholism...I can go for a long time without drinking, but once I take that first drink my addiction takes over and I'm out of control. Sometimes I wish that I could just quit eating but that's not practical like quitting drinking is.

My binges aren't just overeating. For me, it starts out with simply overeating, but when the addiction takes over, I will eat anything and everything until I almost throw up. I will eat entire boxes of cereal or an entire thing of ice cream. I have stopped at the store and bought boxes of baked goods and eaten them all sitting in my car. It's disgusting when I think about it, but I realize that I have to love myself anyway...no matter what.

I have talked to my therapist about it, but never my MD. I honestly didn't ever think about talking to my MD. I know that binge eating disorders are very often co-occuring with other addictions and certain other personality disorders like my bi-polar. That doesn't mean that I can't do anything about it, but I haven't found anything yet that has taken that obsession from me.

Kim, I hadn't heard of food aversion therapy or a hypnotist for my binge eating. I'm going to look into that when I get out to California in November since I doubt if I could find anybody that would do something like that here in my small town in northern Minnesota. Thank you for that information.

We will keep at it Rachael until we get healthy! It's nice to be able to talk to somebody that understands. Have a great day everybody!

xoxo
Janine
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous 286-1/6/ 13-CW 260 GW 165

rachael2011 replied to j9celeste's response:
Janine- Thanks for your honesty and understanding. I have had a bad couple days with this. I was really angry w myself but reread your post especially the part about loving yourself anyway. I have 3 modes of eating: healthy mode, overeating mode and binge mode. Usually I don't post the specifics of binge mode bc I don't want to bring others down, but maybe I should bc it may help someone else. If you don't mind, I may facebook message the specifics of what the doctor says next Wednesday. I will post the general gist of it here to help others as well. Thanks again.

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice. I know of one book you can look into it's not about binge eating but it's called "Eat This Not That" Another thing that helped is watching things like Food Inc., Hungry for Change, and Vegucated. Now I can't eat a lot of the things that I binged without thinking "that's going to kill me". It may not work for everyone but it did me.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

mog1026 replied to blondie454u's response:
This thread is the best possible use of this weight loss board, both for the posters and anyone else who reads it. This is why we are all here. Thank you.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

Spotlight: Member Stories

ive been married for 22 years I love to garden,walk,fish,spend time outside,I enjoy cooking and baking I,m looking to learn a better lifestyle of eati...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.