Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Doctor's OK
beautifulbuffalo posted:
went to the Dr. yesterday and had the stitches and staples out. He said my knee was a mess but he cleaned it up the best he could. Had a tear in the meniscus and the ligament. a lot of scare tissue. He said I needed a full knee replacement but do to my age of 50 he wants to wait a bit until I can't take the pain anymore.

He gave me the ok to slowly go back to exercise I'm still having bleeding and drainage so I have to keep a bandage on it. I'm going to start using the treadmill on Monday at a slow pace and work my way up. I don't want to get into the pool until the drainage stops.

I've even lost a couple more pounds.
BB
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mog1026 responded:
Well gee that sounds good.....I guess. Sorry the news wasn't better about the future of your knee. But it sounds like you are doing a great job of handling the situation. And congratulations on losing the weight? That can only help and I am trying to do the same thing. Hang in there BB and keep moving forward!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

totallywiggedout responded:
Well, BB, on the bright side, your knee is now "cleaned up" and repaired as best as it can be atm. Even a little better will improve your abilities to stand the workouts easier. Did the dr say how long it will drain still? It's too bad you can't get back into the pool yet, but at least you'll be able to do something soon to help get back into the swing of things
A couple of lbs down is Great all things considered. You know? Used to be when we were down with an injury all we did was sit aroung moping and EATING and gaining.... not so much anymore, eh?

congrats on that

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Stupid Is as Stupid Does---Forrest's Mom

jis4judy responded:
congrats Jayne on the 2 pounds gone while recovering/do go slow in the beginning ...Gee wiz why do they want to wait if something is really needed this I don't understand .
Oh well do your best and sometimes building the muscles around the knee can give it some support
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

parakeet210 replied to jis4judy's response:
The thing is Judy (I'm in same boat as BB) they told me (orthopedists) that due to my age also they would not do a knee replacements yet. The knees replacements still only last 15 years max and if they have to take one out after 15 years and put a new one in it's risky and often the surgery and recovery are unsuccessful.

BB I really can relate. Take good care and the best thing you can do eventually is the knee sqeenches and leg lifts and all the stuff you've probably done successfully in the pool.

Good LUCK!
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

mog1026 replied to parakeet210's response:
Lets all keep thinking that when we lose enough weight these knees will feel so happy that we won't need replacements! Won't that be grand!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy replied to parakeet210's response:
Oh thanks tweety keet
I was wondering why I thought the replacement was for a good long time only 15 years . maybe they should work on getting one that lasts longer ...

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy that is possible for you so girly get on with it and get your knees all better you can do IT!
Hugs Judy

parakeet210 replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, Kathy and bb. I think it is gonna be great when the two n me loss weight. It will def help. Judy is a great example of how the journey n all is so worth it!! I applaud all of the people here and across the planet that in one way or another try to better themselves. Change is very difficult!!
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

jis4judy replied to parakeet210's response:
Ladies I was thinking today that wouldn;t it be wonderful if they could grow new knees with stem cells I know they have done it with finger tips and organs I think growing a new knee would be the best answer . also while I walk I ask my body to grow new maculas Not sure if I have my bodies attention though LOL
Hugs Judy

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy you are prophetic! They ARE attempting to grow new "knees" but really it is new cartilage that they are working on. And they better get cracking because there is a wave of boomers behind me who have bad knees in record numbers. I'm afraid I'm just a little ahead of the advances though, but you never know what will be around in 10 years or so. They are injecting stem cells in some experimental procedures now. Wouldn't it be grand!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 202.6 GW 165

Milton, Paradise Lost

You know if Bush hadn;t banned stem cell research when he was in we might have these things today . well our grandkids may have all these things by the time they are my age
better late than never
I am excited when new thing like that happen I get giddy
Hugs Judy

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Well he didn't totally ban it Judy. He just limited it to the current strains and wouldn't allow any new ones to be created. I think he was trying to sit on the fence which never pleases anyone. The Europeans jumped ahead in this research while he was in office but I'm thinking the incredible American scientists must be catching up by now. Go new knee cartilage!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 202.6 GW 165

Milton, Paradise Lost

thats true he just didn't fund it new strains would have required more funding
he did say he would like to ban it though I believe it had to do with those labs that store embryos instead of tossing the old ones that were unusable they were using them for stem cells and that didnlt sit well with some people ..

j9celeste responded:
Hello BB

I could be reading about myself here reading your story. It's so frustrating waiting to get the OK for a knee replacement.

I'm in PT now and using the bike and that's going well. I need to get off my butt and into the pool. I have a great new excuse in that I live an extra ten miles out of town and gas is so expensive. Boy can I come up with them! I realize that I will spend more money if I don't get healthy.

Congratulations on losing more weight!

xoxo
Janine
The most exciting, challenging, significant relationship you have is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone who loves the you that YOU love, that's fabulous 286-1/6/ 13-CW 260 GW 165

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've always been bigger than other girls. I was an 8 pound baby and my weight never stopped increasing. I think genetics are partially to blame bu...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.