Skip to content
HAIR!
mog1026 posted:
Has anyone else noticed that her hair is ****FALLING OUT!!! *****? In the last few weeks it's becoming an issue for me. This happened several months after my last two surgeries and I put it down to anesthesia, but there's no reason but maybe calorie restriction now. I'm sort of freaking out. I mean fat AND bald is not a good look for me. Any experience with this? Did it ever happen to the JAD CORP members as they worked their way down the scale?
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 202.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kathy no I didn;t lose hair at least if I did I didn't notice it
I was never depleted of nutrients I do believe the lack of certain nutrients can affect the hair, and many dieters cut back on some nutrients ...
I am pretty sure protein is part of the nutrition needed for health hair /
One of our early member called llave did have a problem with hair loss due to dieting ..But when I saw her photo she had a full head of healthy looking hair
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn responded:
Stress can sometimes cause hair loss... as I understand it, vitamin E is a biggie for hair, and I know protein is too just like Judy says. I know plenty of people lose weight without losing hair, so it could be your surgeries or it may be a side effect of any medicines you are taking. You might want to have a chat with your pharmacist if you are on anything.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 replied to rohvannyn's response:
No Roh, no recent surgeries and no new meds.

Milton, Paradise Lost

mog1026 replied to mog1026's response:
My DH thinks its hysterical but I don't. He keeps saying we should have kept his mother's wigs. Ha ha. There's too much in the drain and it's in my hand when I rinse it. And if I put my hand in my hair there's 6 or more strands. I know hair loss goes in cycles but this really feels like too much in my brush and in the sink after I brush.

Milton, Paradise Lost

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Kathy, I had a bit of a problem early on in my journey. My hair was a little longer then and I noticed that it was coming out in bunches, or so it seemed... Check the "fallen soldiers" very carefully. Even use a magnifying glass if you need to, but check the end that would be attached to your head.... if you don't have a folicle, it's not falling out, it's breaking.
That's ultimately what was happening with mine and I chalked it up to not having enough fats in my diet. That's when I started buying Extra Virgin Coconut Oil to use on my toast, in my oatmeal, in soups and stews and for some low heat frying. I also make sure to eat lots of nuts for the inherant oils too and start taking a vitamin E capsule every day or the fish oil stuff that Judy takes.

I bet you have breakage..

never fear whichever you find is the problem I think more dietary oils is the answer.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Stupid Is as Stupid Does---Forrest's Mom

totallywiggedout replied to mog1026's response:
Well, you could always kill him now and get it over with, lol

No, that would be stressful too. Ummmm. ok no wigs , they're tacky.... if you go bald make sure you get one of those painted on henna crowns that some cancer survivers are getting , they are just SO COOL.... you won't go bald, do the vitamin E and maybe some hot oil treatments for you hair and scalp.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

SharonNVirginia responded:
That happens to contestants on "Extreme Weight Loss" when they take their calories below 1000 per day. But that is patchy hair loss. Is yours just thinning all over? If so, I hate to tell you but that is aging. I am losing hair at an alarming rate, which is genetic in my family. My mom has been using CVS Women's hair regrowth treatment for years which reversed her hair loss. I just got a box and will start using it today.
Smoochies,
Sharon
CW 212 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

ladylavender responded:
If it is actual hair loss (vs. "breakage"), thyroid issues can definitely cause that, too...Sounds like some detective work is needed. Hope it's only temporary. ((hugs))
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

mog1026 replied to ladylavender's response:
I just checked and the hair all has follicles so its not breakage. It was better when I just washed it but I can see that it is thinning on top. It also is much much finer. I was so anxious to break 200 that I have had my calories in the 800's a lot the last few weeks. I went up the last two days because I wondered if that might be it, but I have had a lot of extra stress the last few weeks too so that might be contributing also. I started taking fish oil for the first time in June. I don't take vitamin E but somewhere in my mind I thought it wasn't good for me. I'll have to check that suggestion. My thyroid has been checked over the years but has always been okay. I always wanted thyroid issues because then there would be a fix for weight and infertility problems.

Sharon may be right. Bummer. I do have bald male cousins And it's easy to forget that I am getting O---R! I will have to check out that CVS product. I'm assuming its rogaine. I always wondered how you dealt with the oily hair after you apply it. If you wash it don't you lose the rogaine.

Kim THAT IS AN AWFUL SUGGESTION! You are a BRAT! LOL,

Milton, Paradise Lost

parakeet210 replied to mog1026's response:
i'm sorry to hear that Kathy! can you have your blood checked for any kind of deficiencies? someone did suggest some detective work. that;s my best guess.

(((((((((((kath)))))))))))))))
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

totallywiggedout replied to mog1026's response:
Who? ME??? O.O lol
yeh I figured you'd say that., but it WAS just a passing thought.... lol

I'm sorry your hair is literally and REALLY falling out. I'm googling some stuff tonight about it too, to see if I can find something that may help. Rogaine does work esp for just thinning.... But it's gotta be quick...

I do want to say, if you HAVE to before the wedding, don't be afraid to get to a good beautician and have just a few hair weaves done. just on top to make it thicker looking. But don't let them stay in too long after. They cause a lot of breakage over time.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

totallywiggedout replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kathy, read this about your hairloss and try to make some changes in your diet. It may help.

huggs
k

http://www.livestrong.com/article/182193-how-to-prevent-hair-loss-while-dieting/
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

and this one..

http://www.livestrong.com/article/236611-how-to-make-scalp-hair-grow-back-naturally/
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

and....

• Rogaine
  • Volumizing shampoo
  • Volumizing conditioner
  • B-complex vitamin supplement
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had a job that involved being at a computer..resulting in health related issues, the biggest one is my weight. I just retired (I think) ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.