Skip to content
DAY 20, C4, Thursday Sept 19 Back to Basics
totallywiggedout posted:

We suffer what is known as "Portion Distortion" . We think that what we are getting is a single serving. Because that's how it's sold.
Well, think again.

Our whole concept of serving sizes is based on what is readily available in the current market. I say current market, because the sizes of things that are sold now, in bakeries, or restaurants, is approx. 3x-4x what it was in the early to mid 1900s.

Case in point. Have you ever seen those cute little coke bottles that have just come back out?? They look like little kid's drinks in the old fashioned original bottles..... yeh. Those 6 oz bottles WERE the original size of bottled cokes when they first came out. Now , we get 24 oz'ers, Baby!

In our ever expanding demand of consumerism to "get our money's worth" we are completely overriding common sense when it comes to our health.

A Whopper isn't a single serving. It's almost 2.
Better bring friends to share that large fry..
and don't even think about that large shake.... it's 4 servings.

But , it doesn't look that way does it? It looks like the best deal. And , money wise, it probably is. But healthwise?..... not so much.

Now , this is what I'm talking about..... but , see that single serving side's nutrition data??
Now think about your personal food and fitness log.
Are you willing to give up breakfast, am snack and pm snack for that half a hamburger plate? Because that's the caloric intake right there. If you eat that little amount, you have just about 600 calories for dinner, if you are trying to lose weight.

You might make it, but you won't feel good doing it.
Your blood glucose will peak and fall continuously all day long because of uneven sugar loads. You will be tired and hungry and emotional.

I won't even discuss the sodium in that half burger plate. It's just too scary. Plan on reading labels for the next couple of days and not having anything with any sodium in it to stay within your week's requirements for sodium, ok?

Think before you eat.
If you want a burger, go to a place that has healthier choices or make your own so you can at least do them sodium free and lower the fat content by buyint better burger or mixing in some ground turkey and veggies. (yes this works and tastes great)

Remember that McDonalds, Bk, Wendys... all of them , test their burgers and their buns to make you want more. Their buns have more brain and sensory stimulating sodium and sugarsand fats than regular store bought ones. Make no mistake. It is a trap and you are meant to crave these things.

Eat smart and understand size does matter.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Stupid Is as Stupid Does---Forrest's Mom

jis4judy responded:
very nice topic for today Kim the portions are too big today

well I had one very busy day yesterday
did a lot of exercise and chores and todays weigh in
up 1/2 Pound 152
todays breakfast
2.9 oz orange
3.1 oz raspberries
1/2 C bran flakes
1/2 C ff milk
1/3 C heart to heart
1 C black coffee

the plan for today is
walking for exercise this morning
and dinner will be out gonna go out tonight
to some restaurant and have the best choice I can make
today there will be workers in the street working on new gas lines so I am uncertain as to when they will shut off the gas
so made plans to eat out //
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
The intro today Kim is just perfect! Good reminders for us all. Of course I actually remember those little Cokes! Just enough to wet your whistle which was plenty.

Judy if you smell rotten eggs RUN LIKE THE WIND!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
yes Kathy I was thinking the same thing
Hugs Judy:)
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

parakeet210 replied to jis4judy's response:
Kim,
Thank you for this fmost appropriate serving of How kim writes it to help us understand it! Man you are one smart lady to figure this stuff out via internet. I'm glad I have someone who works for me that is computer savvy cuz i'm not the best Only on bids and stuff that I need to do.

Weight day: 253.9 Yeah went down a bit

breakfast:
2 pc. protein toast and 1 T polaner
2 cuppa 2 2 tsp. creamera

I don't know what the rest of the day will be. I'm going to reread what you posted Kim! and thanks again!!
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

parakeet210 replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy,
Make sure if you do smell rotten eggs that you don't flip anything electrical or spark anything to light it. get out of the house and don't use the phone. take a cell phone with and call fromthere. You could always talk to the people fixing the line but they might be able to help without a service ticket. Depends on co.
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

totallywiggedout responded:
Sorry guys. If those pics are too small. just clik on them, say accept to leave this site and it should blow them up to readable size. I do , very much, want you to read them too.
It's important to visually see the suggested portion sizes of certain foods and I'd really like for you to see the fats and calories in those burger plates.

Today, I have no plans. Nothing. I feel a bit untethered for some reason, so I think I'll just drift and see where it takes me.

Up early . Michael didn't tell me until about 230am that he had to be at work by 7. So , I read for a little while, lol, then went to sleep for about 5 min, lol

No walk today. It's already so muggy out there that it fogged up my glasses. Forget that!

1 cup of drk cocoa coffee
and am atm thinking about egg and greens w/ some mushrooms again, toast w/ cream cheese and jam ..... sounds good, so , yeh

No idea about lunch because I may sleep through it, but at some point I will work in a vanilla protein shake blended with a very ripe banana that everyone else is refusing to eat..... eyeroll....; and some chia seeds .

Probably will go to the gym today, but maybe not, lol
again, I'm floating ideas here, nothing is set in stone till I do it.

I'm not in a bad mood, just enjoying extreme ennui.

hope everyone has a really truly great day, however you choose to "do" it.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Stupid Is as Stupid Does---Forrest's Mom

mefirstforever replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi Kim,

Well you would not be human if you did not have your ups and downs. I wish I could curl up also some days.
Listen to your body it is quite smart, if he say rest maybe it's because you need it.

What could we do to bring this afternoon to a bright exiting day ??? Go pick wild flowers, or to the library, or makup and a new doo... Any suggestion from all the gals to cheer up our Kim.
p.s. no food sugg...

Huggs
Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 210.4 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

rachael2011 responded:
Good morning. And good topic!

AM weight- 279.8

Breakfast was
1 1/4C Kashi go lean cereal
1 C 1% milk
large apple

Lunch will be spinach, mini cucumber, tomato, cottage cheese and lite dressing. Also a pork chop.

Dinner will be out (my dad is getting married Saturday and it's his rehearsal dinner tonight). Will post what I ended up getting tonight.

Have a good day, everybody!

Will do my 40 on the treadmill.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

kalimiller responded:
Well, I ended up staying up late again last night. I was watching tv on my laptop and was a little bit hungry. Found a bag of smart pop white cheddar popcorn. Had a small bowl of it. And then another. And another. Poured myself another bowl and realized that the bag was empty. What! I put the last bowl back in the bag - I felt so stupid afterward. I really should never eat while watching tv. Have to be more careful about that from now on.

Morning weigh in was back to 188. Grr. Going to the fair today with my mom - she wants to see how the quilts she entered did. Will do quite a bit of walking probably.
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 191

mog1026 replied to kalimiller's response:
Morning weight - 201.6. When somebody says, "I've got YOUR number, they're talking about me and this one.

Breakfast - 2 c dry Barbara's original Puffins
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

rachael2011 responded:

rachael2011 replied to rachael2011's response:

ausgram responded:
Gooooood morning Friends!!

Racheal, you do that to Kim and Kathy, they were mean to you yesterday wanting to take your debit cards. ha ha ha!

Judy, I got a question for you cause you are my age so I always compare my life with yours. You walk a lot. Are you going to be walking still in 10 years? I don't like to do something I wont be able to do in 10 years.

Ok, weigh-in: 187

Kim that eat carrot in between the Cheetos? Didn't work. Course I didn't use carrots, I used a choclolate chip cookie and broke it up in little pieces. Don't use cookies. I'm not going to eat any more Cheetos. I blew it so bad last night. I'm swearing off Cheetos. Really. I am. Reallly and truly. No ore Cheetos.

As for the pancakes. I don't even like them, so no pancakes for me.

Breakfast: 1 orange, 1 cup of joe.

Kim, I can't eat a lot for breakfast. I'm doing good eating a piece of fruit. I never get the urge to eat till after 10:30 or 11. is that weird?
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -188; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

justmejust responded:
Good morning!
weight 183.8
exercise 20 minutes of stretches and core pt

breakfast
one grapefruit
one hb egg
toast with tsp jam, .3 tsp butter
Laura

Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been struggling with my weight for about 15 years. I was doing well after having three kids and was on my way to losing all my baby weight. The...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.