Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
DAY 21, C4, Sept 20 ....... CLEAN YOUR PLATE!
totallywiggedout posted:
I'm betting we all heard it as kids. "Clean your plate" or even
"You only get dessert, if you clean your plate". Gee, so let's add insult to injury, shall we?

It all started way back in 1917.

Clean Plate Club The Clean Plate Club was the beginning of a campaign first established in 1917 when the United States Congress passed the Food and Fuel Control Act or Lever Act. This gave the President the power to "regulate the distribution, export, import, purchase and storage of food." [1> President Woodrow Wilson released Executive order 2679-A [1> creating the U.S. Food Administration and appointed Herbert Hoover as the head, enforcing this act. This organization was given the task of making sure that the limited amount of food America had as a result of World War I didn't go to waste, and to avoid importation of food as much as possible. Hoover knew that many Americans were willing to volunteer and had a strong sense of patriotism during the war, so he used that to his advantage when he advertised the idea of the "Clean Plate" campaign. Hoover promoted this idea to children who attended school with a pledge that read, "At table I'll not leave a scrap of food upon my plate. And I'll not eat between meals, but for supper time I'll wait." [2> This targeted children too young to understand the value of food in the difficult economic time. Many necessities such as flour and sugar were in short supply, so Hoover used a sense of American nationalism to encourage families to take appropriate rations and save food. His goal was for people to eat less, use less essential ingredients, and to finish their entire meal. By doing this, young children developed the habit of eating everything given to them, thus "cleaning their plate."
Creating the club The U.S. Food Administration was terminated after the First World War, but in 1947 the "Clean Plate" proposal came back and was encouraged by President Harry S. Truman , who aided in officially forming the "Clean Plates Club" in elementary schools across the country. This club was officially created after the Great Depression and World War II , when food was once again scarce. In 1947, the U.S. created the Marshall Plan , in which President Truman encouraged Americans to consume less poultry, to conserve food for starving Europeans. As a reaction to his plan, the "Clean Plate Clubs" were formed, and elementary school students were again taught to clean their plates.

A lot of us grew up with this motto, and all that food , being shoved down our throats.
On top of the food shortages, "healthy" people always carried a bit more weight so that they could survive the lean times better.

Unfortunately, the idea stuck. Not only for the generation before ours, but the ones that came after.
We are making the same mistakes and it's starting to show, because our food has changed. It's genetically altered to have more proteins, fats and sugars to make it more "nutritious" to underdeveloped countries' peoples.
But we eat it too.
and more of it. Every day. And we still clean our plates.....

It's time to make your plates smaller. Use salad plates instead of dinner plates or even use the next smaller ones, saucers.
Measure out your food and put it on one of these smaller plates. It'll fool your brain and you will really get to clean your plate, guilt free.

A little at a time. Make changes you can live with. Get your portions under control and your weight will come off.

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Stupid Is as Stupid Does---Forrest's Mom

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kim I was a reluctant member of the clean plate club
when I was a kid ...I rebelled
todays weigh in 151
breakfast

1/2 C bran flakes
1/3 C heart to heart
1/2 C ff milk
3.1 Oz orange
2.8 oz strawberries
1 C black coffee

shopping this morning I might take a walk might not
Dinner plans are baked chicken breast not sure of the vegies most likely sweet potato or what looks good in the store ...produce area

Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
That idea was still a big deal when I was a kid too. I heard it many many times and I HATED it. I was a kid who thought almost any meal was torture. When my sister came along I would slip her my food under the table. It's no fun to be stuck at a table and told you can't leave until you eat it all. I vowed never to do that to my kids and as a result they like all kinds of food. This was the institutionalized child abuse program of the 20th century.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

shelsangel responded:
We weren't allowed to leave the table until our plates were clean and the sad part is we didn't even make our own plates

TGIFriday WAHOO! I made it.

weight 283

Breakfast
1 c great grains, 1 c ff Milk, 1 banana

Lunch
1 c lettuce, 2 c spinach, 2 tbs ff Catalina, 1 med peach, 1 light yogurt Lemon

Dinner no plans going shopping hopeing to find some salmon will post later.

cal 634

Normal work activities, walking around book store, shopping for fruit and veggies, gonna force hubby to go on walk with me later this evening before dark. We'll see might have to go by myself

Kim, do we measure today? Or tomorrow morning?
Everything happens for a reason. HUGGS, Jean
SW 301.2 CW 283.0 GW 165 could change after I reach it :-)

parakeet210 replied to shelsangel's response:
yup I can relate!! My dad would say when we ate chicken now kids clean up them bones! to this day you'd think something supernatural came and ate the chicken at my house. yup adore wings. that's what I fed on as a kid and my mom hadi the best bbq'd chicken for miles and miles and miles and miles.....

ummmmmy

breakfast
2 protein toast and polaner
2 cuppa w/2 creamer

see ya at lunch
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

rachael2011 responded:
I had no idea the "clean your plate" force started w this. Interesting! We were in that group too. You sat there until it was gone. And sat there. My kids too bc we lived w my parents when they were growing up. Can't blame em, though. They are frugal and that's a good thing right? My older son is the only one I know who would wait his grandfather out insisting that he was not hungry. But he had me and my Mom on his side (both w weight problems), talking my Dad into letting him get up. Hopefully, it'll stop w/ my kid's generation. Ahh, memories!

Anyways, breakfast was 1 1/4C Kashi go lean cereal and 3/4C 1% milk.

Lunch will be a 6" double turkey Subway sandwich on wheat and an apple.

No idea about dinner yet.

AM weight was 278.8.

Everybody have a good day!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

ausgram responded:
Ohhh yes, I remember them days. Clean your plate or no dessert. Waaaa! ha ha ha!

Weight-In 188 I'm bummed!

Brkfst: 1 peach but I had to cut lots of spots out they are getting tooooo ripe.

Judy, how cool is that with your hubby a young old person. ha ha! That's great. You healthy eating must be affecting him. Ok, so your going to walk till you can't or till you can't breath. Ok. I suppose I should start and I see where Kim told someone that 10 mins walking is better then 10 sitting on your butt. I really really have a hard time with making myself get up to walk. Gosh. Why is it. I hate it. At the end of the day I'm thinking, "Why didn't I walk 2 or 3 times today." Grrrrrr. We have 360 day of sunshine a year, so I have no excuse. Come on kid get with it.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -188; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

ausgram replied to ausgram's response:
Opps, forgot-
Keet, I love broccoli too. I used to eat it raw but I nuke it a tad before I eat it now.
Kathy, quit talking about cake. I love it too and it makes me want some. ha ha. Just kidding, you can talk about cake all you want. I especially love the Pepperidge Farm Coconut 3 layer cake. I cut that is 4ths and have it for 4 days dessert. Ohhhh! I love it.

Kim, I have very little dairy products. 1/2 cup of milk once in a while if I have cereal, but that don't happen too often. I had dairy Wednesday on my pizza. Cheese. ha ha. I only had 2 pieces tho so that's good, right? Yesterday we had Chinese food and oh the sodium and that's why my weight went up this morning. I know it will go down tomorrow. For one, Im determined to walk today. 10 mins like you told Keet. I think it was Keet.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -188; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

abnersmom responded:
Hi all,

weigh in 153

Breakfast the usual: 1/2 C oatmeal, blueberries, walnuts, ff milk, black coffee
Lunch: roast beef on whole wheat sandwich thins, medium size apple
Dinner: chicken and a side salad, broccoli
Snack: not sure, but will have something as I'm having a hungry day!

Have been running every day this week - am taking today off.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

slimjazzy replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Abnersmon
Thanks you! to keep your breakfast from being the usual, use the same ingredients but use a waffle iron to cook. it's oatmeal on a plate instead of in a bowl. I found the recipe on pinterest. I tried it with a banana and the oatmeal
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
C. S. Lewis

justmejust replied to slimjazzy's response:
Oatmeal cooked in a waffle iron sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe slimjazzy!
Laura -
Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

justmejust responded:
Good morning everyone!

weigh in 182.8, another new low no. for me
calf, shoulder, and hip stretches, foot arch exercises, three of my physical therapy core exercises, the easy on the shoulder ones
walked slow with friend for 30 min. at the gym track about a mile maybe

breakfast
med. hard boiled egg
one grapefruit
16 oz coffee, 1/4 cup ff milk, tsp cinnamon

Have a good day!
Laura -
Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

jis4judy replied to ausgram's response:
Hi Ausie

I wanted to say that I enjoy walking that wasn't always true though It took some determination to begin the walking once I started if I was unable to go for a walk I missed it .. this is feel good stuff . It gives energy once you are into it ..
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mefirstforever responded:
Yup part of this generation.
But I was wise enough not to enforce this to my kids and the tree of them are slim and healthy. My son was never hungry and did not like that food would touch. But anyway,I would put one table spoon of protein 2 tbs of vegetable and 1 tbls of starch like potato or rice. He would have a hard time eating it all and he was 3 or 4. I was scare he did,nt get enough food or nutriment my Dr said no child will let himself starve when he will be hungry he will eat, best advise I ever got.
Also dessert was not a reward.

My weight this morning 207.6
Good breakfast
1 toast 110
1 laughing cow cheese instead of margarine 25 cal
2 slices of head cheese 50 calories
2 cofees 20

have a good one
Helene GW 140 CW 210.4 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

SharonNVirginia responded:
Hi all.

I may sabotage this challenge due to the arm problem.

I have been sleeping without the compression sleeve the past two nights and my weight is slightly up.

On the plus side, the wobbliness in my legs is waning. Pain levels continue to decline.
oats and blackberries
apple and almonds
tossed salad and chicken
apple and almonds
chicken breast peas quinoa

love to all,
Sharon
Smoochies,
Sharon
CW 212 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a senior citizen who is STILL looking to re-reach a goal set years ago. 50 lbs. would be wonderful! Because of a heart problem, a diagnosis ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
62 of 77 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.