Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Good thing I am left-handed
ladylavender posted:
So, Wed., after it had been raining, I was sweeping my back porch (screened in) and stupidly bent over on one of the steps to pick something up I noticed in with the leaves, when it happened. I fell head over heels, landing in dirty leaves & dirt and knew immediately I had broken my right wrist. Had surgery that same night. now in some sort of splint and sling.

Broke both the ulnar and radial bones (forearm) right before the wrist. one of those broken ends shattered to smithereens. Fortunately the wrist joint itself was intact. A 20 min surgery took over an hr, and he just couldn't perfectly align one of bones. he hopes I can get up to75% usage back, but he did tell me I would be able to type again. Whew, cause that's my job (medical transcription).

I'm on medical leave and short term disability will kick in after 30 days, which will put me at approximately 50% of my income then. I will have 1 more paycheck, depleting all PDO (paid days off), then who knows.

there r some positives too. I've been needing time off due to emotional stressors, and now I have it. Also, I googled surgeon when I got home cuz typically avoid closest hosp, but he was super nice and his info on line looked impressive! How he ended up in Cleveland, IDK. he even called me today to check on me. A competent surgeon was an answer to prayer.

Also, I have totally lost my appetite and my sweet tooth!! Sweet tooth was biggest downfall. Going to plan simple but hi nutrition to promote bone growth. I need those shattered pieces to fuse together.

I'm currently on Percocet for pain control and quickly learning how to get by 1 handed. I'm left handed, which is also a blessing. I have a wonderful neighbor who kept my dog overnight and also brought me home from hospital. My church fam is like a second family to me, and already someone dropped off some fruit. I got my hair cut shorter cuz I knew washing/styling would be hard, and hair dresser would not take a penny. She also waxed eyebrows and upper lip, LOL.

As for bills, that's so far beyond what I can figure out, that God will have to keep showing me the way. ive had a lot of good advice tho and will be making more phone calls on Monday.

That's the latest! Thanks for listening. Tired of pecking at keyboard now.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mog1026 responded:
Holy Guacamole! THE CURSE CONTINUES! Abby I'm soo sorry. What a drag. Maybe we can set up an infirmary subgroup for the board. We'll call it THE SICK ROOM. You, Sharon, Mardee, Debbie, Michael, my DH et al can gather every day and compare symptoms. I'm getting a gigantic roll of cotton wool and rolling myself up in it.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy responded:
wow Abby you have been through a lot and yes eating as healthy as you can will help you heal up ..make sure you get some calcium in and vitamin D Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

justmejust responded:
Hope your wrist bone heals quickly and nicely Abby! You have a good nutrition plan. Include all those nutritious vegetables, fruits, plus lean protein and low fat dairy too.
Laura -
Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

justmejust replied to mog1026's response:
Hi Kathy, I got a chuckle out of that. Hopefully you are able to breathe thru that big roll of protective body wool, tee hee!
Laura -
Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

totallywiggedout responded:
Abby, I'm so sorry to hear of your break. Terrible fall and extremely monetarily unfortunate. I wish for you only the best and swiftest recovery possible.
I don't suppose you carried AFLAC or any other back up insurance , did you? If so, hit them up for medical bill repayment. I had them when I had my big accident back in 2005 and they paid me , in a check directly to me, for everything I went through. Even though I didn't pay anything out of pocket, because of auto insurance and partial med insurance through my employer, they pay you for what your body goes through. I had a $5000 helicopter ride to a larger hospital that was completely paid for , but I got money for just because I had AFLAC and all the tests and images and crap, all that I got some payment for. It was a Godsend to get that money before my auto insurance started kicking in from work loss.
Michael picked it up here at his job a couple of years ago when it was offered, because I insisted. Now with these suspicious moles and his health situation, I think we are going to be glad he did get into it.

If not, check your homeowners insurance. It may help cover your fall and work loss. Or if you rent, check with the owner of the property as any fall on another's property would be covered by their insurance.

hope some of these ideas help.

hang tough, love
huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Stupid Is as Stupid Does---Forrest's Mom

totallywiggedout replied to mog1026's response:
I made a mistake a couple of weeks ago, Kathy... I purchased a name brand toilet paper with ridges (you may know the one I'm referring to) because it looked so big and fluffy..... it feels like sandpaper! It's awful... so awful in fact that everyone else also complained about it at different times, in whispered conversation because I do the purchasing and it's a "delicate" subject.... but, I digress.... what I'm getting at is , I have 11 rolls of this stuff that you could prewrap yourself in before the wool overlay that would keep the "itchy mitchies" from the wool off of your delicate skin.

Personally, I can't wear wool or angora or any other type of "hair" , it just bugs hell out of me and makes me itch like nothing else.

If you decide to wrap , let me know and I'll ship it ASAP , lol

huggs
k
Kim SW 252 CW 179 GW 135

If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution.---author anonymous

Stupid Is as Stupid Does---Forrest's Mom

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I'm a Scott girl myself so I have NO idea what you're talking about. Sniff. Besides, cotton wool is cozy. I'm going to like it in there. I'm not coming out until Oct. 26th.

Abby, I hope you're okay today. Day 3 is always the worst after surgery. Then it starts to feel better. Sending you a hug.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

totallywiggedout replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy, you cannot hope to cocoon yourself until Oct. 26th, lol
You'll get thirsty and you'll get bored and start to think about the leftover cake on the counter.....

it was Cottonelle... btw... ridges are only better on ruffles.

I use Charmin extra strong, myself. I don't like the little fuzzies others leave, lol

huggs
k
Kim SW 253 CW 176.6 GW 135

Adapt what is useful, Reject what is useless, and Add what is specifically your own.----Bruce Lee

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

rachael2011 responded:
Oh Abby. I am just catching up on posts. I am sorry to hear about your fall/ injury. It sounds like you have supportive folks around which is a blessing. Will send more prayers your way.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

ladylavender replied to mog1026's response:
Thanks, everyone. I'm quickly learning how to do things 1 handed or with help of my teeth, but don't want to break a tooth in the process. I have Percocet right now and already using a little less. was a miracle I didn't break my glasses or anything else! I have a couple of butt bruises showing now, which might have had to do with the side of wooden steps or the cement goose I knocked over that was on the ground next to steps. not sure if I landed on goose or what. I may literally have been goosed, ha!

took a shower yesterday, which felt great. used a plastic bag and rubber band, which was easier than I thot it would be and kept splint/cast dry. really cant style hair much, so, however it dries, oh, well.

headed to store today I think. a friend dropped off some fruit Fri. maybe I mentioned that already. that was much appreciated. picking up soy milk and lentils, spinach, veggies for soup and salads. I boiled some eggs and going to make egg salad. oh, and I have a can of almonds already. friend also brought a bag of prunes cuz Im on a narcotic. Proud to say plumbing is working, ha. Going to get some blueberries today for antioxidant and will have tomato base for soup.

if anyone wants to suggest any other super food I should get to promote healing, feel free. keeping it mostly vegetarian. Soy, tofu, lentils and other beans will cover protein and the eggs...also taking a multivitamin and am getting some mag citrate too. that will not only be good for bones but will help keep me regular, too.

Tired of typing. everyone be good!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

ladylavender replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thanks for your suggestions, Kim. No, don't have AFLAC. Guess I should look into it for future. Am still making phone calls, and mortgage company is on my list tomorrow.

Have a lot to do, and simple things are now energy-zapping tasks. I was near tears today after just doing a few things. That, and I had forgotten to eat today, which never happens! Guess I'm just focused on how to do nearly everything and it is draining.

I was buying ingredients today for a veggie soup, and I wanted specific things but had to keep stopping and wondering how will I peel that or open this, and I let it get to me. That's when I realized I will have to ask for help in preparing it unless I buy the expensive pre-cut stuff. Sigh. When I talked about it with my neighbor, she was insisting on making me some soup for me and bringing it over. I tried to tell her that I wanted to use specific ingredients, like lentils, spinach, diced tomatoes, etc. She finally relented and said she just uses canned corn, potatoes, celery and the like. So she said she would be happy to help with my soup.

She wants to be helpful, and I was so grateful when she kept Jack, my dog, for me when I went to the hospital, but this exchange is very typical. She always has a different idea, and its difficult not to end up offending her when I don't want to use her idea. She is super sensitive. I have never once had her simply listen to what I wanted to do and accept it, wish me luck or whatever. I end up thinking I must not have one intelligent thought in my head. I think this time is a win-win, tho. She wants to help and can, and I will get my soup, ha.

And Wal-Mart always makes me sweat, so now my arm itches like crazy under the splint. Doc said to keep splint clean and dry, but what about when I sweat? I sure don't want that incision under there to get infected.

I think I'm going to start making lists of the things I need and want to do to take advantage of this "vacation" I suddenly have. Today I was floundering a bit because it felt weird not clocking in today.

Thanks for listening.

-Abby

totallywiggedout replied to ladylavender's response:
Abby,
At this point, you have a neighbor who wants to help. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, lol. Bite your tongue about her "suggestions" if she has any and make good use of her hands.
If you don't want her breathing down your back when you put your soup together, can you sack up everything you need and take it to her place? Have her peel and chop a whole bag of onions, one of carrots, potatoes, etc. , and open all the cans of stuff you'll be needing for awhile (don't forget to par cook your potatoes before freezing so they don't turn black). Put everything into into zipper seal freezer bags and bring em home. throw what you don't use now into the fridge or freezer for quick and easy throw together meals.
Offer a couple of bowls of your soup in return (or something). This way you can get enough done for at least a week or two and you won't constantly have to deal with her.

huggs
k
Kim SW 253 CW 176.6 GW 135

Adapt what is useful, Reject what is useless, and Add what is specifically your own.----Bruce Lee

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

parakeet210 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Abby,
WOW you're really a trooper! I think Kim has excellent advice.
Hope You heal quick and less painful. You could take a blow dryer on cool and blow down the cast to dry you out.
also sometimes they put a roll of cotton at the top to elleviate things getting wet.

We've done this with me when I had a cast from a surgery to hand and had to keep it dry.

Best to you
keet
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

blondie454u responded:
I am sorry to hear about your troubles but it sounds like your taking and putting it in God's hand! That's so awesome! He is so grand in taking our worries away. When you have God you are truly blessed! I pray for you.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well lets see, i am 38 years old and at my heaaviest i was 284. I have struggles with weight since i was 6. well i didnt try to lose weight then but i...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.