Skip to content
Sunday, September 29th
kalimiller posted:
So, it's early. Couldn't sleep due to sunburn. Ich.
Anyways, I wanted to share a little something with yall.
I'm LDS (aka Mormon), and I wanted to share something that I worked on today with yall.
Not trying to convert anyone or anything, but I feel like I need to explain a bit before I launch into this so it makes a little more sense.
In the LDS church, members of the congregation are asked to speak occasionally - we don't have paid pastors or anything like that. Everything is volunteer based. Each congregation (we call them wards) has leaders that are called to serve and they are the ones who call different members each week to see if they are willing to speak. (If you want to know more, I can go into it a little bit more...but I don't want to overwhelm! )
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 191
FirstPrevious12NextLast

kalimiller responded:
So, that being said, my husband and I were both asked to give talks at church today.
His topic that he was given was AVOID DEBT. Mine was BUILD A RESERVE. Usually each Sunday a different theme is given, or speakers are able to pick a topic of their choice based on what they feel is good to speak on.
Anyways, I hope that was a good enough introduction as to why I was working on this particular topic.
LDS people (in general) try to be financially responsible people. We are the ones that keep a years supply of food. Dunno if you've ever heard of us doing that.
Anyways, my topic that I was asked to speak on was the importance of building a financial reserve, and I was thinking about it tonight and it struck me as such an important thing. My husband and I don't have any sort of financial reserve. And we definitely don't have a years supply of food - or even close to that. But it's something that I want to build towards. I think that having that peace of mind - knowing that if something happens that you will be okay - is such an important thing. Especially with the things that have been happening in our lives recently - with my husband losing his job and us moving. With only me working for a while, then him only working for a while (thank goodness I start my new job on Monday), we were in a bind financially and have managed to pretty much max both of our credit cards. Not that we had a huge limit, but things came up that needed to be done and we had no savings to rely on. .
The main thing, I guess, that I'm trying to get across comes after I read through Genesis chapter 41 again. It's the story where Joseph interprets the dream and they build up a storage of food for Egypt after the 7 years of plenty. Then 7 years of famine come and they are able to feed to country because they had a reserve. They were prepared for the bad times that come.
And that's what I want. It doesn't necessarily have to be food, or money, or even anything physical. Those things would definitely be nice to have and are things that I hope to have in the future to rely on as a safety net. But I also want to have a reserve spiritually. I trust in God and know that He will always provide for me. For everyone.
I also want to have a reserve of love. Love from family that I am able to rely on. Love from friends that I am able to rely on. And I know that this is something that I already have. I have a great family that I have been able to rely on in this hard time. And I do have great friends that I have been able to rely on as well. And you are some of those friends. I'm not the greatest and keeping friends - I think that I only have two or three really good friends that I still keep in contact with and can rely on. But the encouragement that I get from yall here is priceless to me. I wanted to offer yall my heartfelt thanks. I appreciate everything that yal have said to me - your words have changed my life for the better.
"If you have a reserve, even though it be small, then should storms howl about your head, you will have...peace in your hearts." Gordon B. Hinckley
I do. I have peace in my heart and am so very thankful to yall for helping me stay sane. Especially in the past few months.Thank you.
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 191

jis4judy replied to kalimiller's response:
hi kali
what you are describing is very much like Susie Orman
advocates .. she is talking finances though. everyone should have 8 months emergency fund for times like you just went thru that avoids using up credit and getting deeper in the hole
to save that you should try to live on one income and save the other...just like cutting calories you cut out all that you can live without check all things and list them as wants or needs cut from the wants pay the needs

Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Kali, that is beautiful and touching. I am honored to be your friend
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

rachael2011 replied to kalimiller's response:
Kali- That was a beautiful and thought provoking post. Thank you for your wise words.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

totallywiggedout replied to kalimiller's response:
A very nice topic for a Sunday morning, Kali. It warms my heart to know that we have helped you and eachother not just in the daily grind of dieting , but also with other things going on in our lives.
It does seem strange, doesn't it? That no matter how far away we are from eachother, and that most of us have never actually met, we still know , without a shadow of a doubt, that we have eachother's backs. There is always a kind ear to listen and a soft shoulder to cry on.
We truly are blessed.

huggs
k
Kim SW 253 CW 176.6 GW 135

Adapt what is useful, Reject what is useless, and Add what is specifically your own.----Bruce Lee

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I love the idea of having a reserve.. food, money, skills. Whatever else I may feel, I admire that about the LDS church and think everyone should emulate it.

Regarding the emotional reserves, the leader of another forum on this site said that emotional support is like a spiderweb. The more friends and loved ones you have, the stronger your web is, and the more lines you have to hold you up if one is cut. I've found that to be true. It can be hard to exist with only one or two people supporting you, and I am glad you are all here as well.

Along with more tangible reserves, it is good to have skill reserves, as I might call them. Being able to change a tire, keep a campfire going, change a headlight, flip a breaker, use tools, tie a good knot, things like that. These skills can make the difference between hunger and plenty. I'm still working on a lot of those things, but when I was living in a tent for a couple months I was very glad that I knew how to cook over an open fire!

Right now I have some big cans of tomato packed sardines, some dried hibiscus, a few gallons of bottled water, lentils, beans, a little dried fruit, some dried mushrooms, some dried seaweed, and some boxes of matzoh. I want to have considerably more than that, packed in buckets to keep the ants away. Dried meat, dried fruit, textured vegetable protein, and some energy bars would be on my shopping list. We lived for a good couple of months when I lost my home, just on our reserves.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

blondie454u replied to kalimiller's response:
Kali,

I have a co-worker that is mormon and his family are the same way. They have a food reserve I know for sure. I am also pretty sure they have a financial one as well. They are super nice people so I am sure they have a reserve for love. I too want to have at least a financial reserve. We currently working on getting out of debt then taking that same amount and put it into savings.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

mog1026 replied to kalimiller's response:
I wonder, what does a year's worth of food look like? What kinds of things are included and how does one store it? It is a fascinating idea.

Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
Yes Kathy
most things are going to go bad in a year
I stock up on a few things but have to use them up to make room for fresh stuff ...
even canned goods and packaged things will go bad in a year ...You would have to continue buying and using the oldest stuff as you go along
Hugs Judy

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to jis4judy's response:
Kathy while I was walking I was thinking if I had to store food for a year I am guessing that freeze dried foods may have a longer shelf life than other things we normally buy and could potentially last more than a year you would also need a lot of bottled water to make it usable in case of a disaster
Hugs Judy

rohvannyn replied to jis4judy's response:
Some food storage tips:

Get plastic buckets. Lots of them, with lids. They will keep bugs out of your grain and other sundries. If you eat grain, remember that flour spoils but wheat still in the kernal stays good a long time. So buy your wheat by the fifty pound sack (at a co-op or natural foods store) and keep it sealed, or pour it off into the buckets. This can be done with rice, beans (black beans are great), and other items. If you buy oats you can keep them in the original containers and they keep pretty well. You can put the dry goods in the plastic buckets with a piece of dry ice, then seal them tightly, the dry ice will exclude the oxygen and reduce spoilage even further.

Buckets of TVP, or bags of it, that is Textured Vegetable Protein, sounds gross but is a good protein addition and it doesn't need to be cooked very much to be digestible. If you want to live for a year or even a month, you have to prioritize. In an emergency, your body will need protein, fat and vitamins. Vegetables are luxuries, fruits are more necessary but spoil more easily. If you don't have a freezer then invest in a lot of vitamin c tablets at the very least to prevent scurvy. You can freze cheese for quite a long time if it's well wrapped. Cases of energy bars can give a good reserve too. There was about a month where I had nothing but a bunch of South Beach bars, with black beans and rice to supplement as well as vitamins, and I was hungry but I survived and didn't get any major deficiencies. That wasn't a diet, it was an emergency situation.

There are ways to preserve eggs too, that don't need power. Or you can buy powdered eggs. Big containers of whey or soy protein are an absolute boon. Canned goods will stay fresh longer than they say, just keep them in a cool place. Keep any jarred items in the dark. A couple drops of normal bleach will keep drinking water clean but I just like keeping it in sealed containers if possible. Change that out periodically. A good water filter and water purification tablets are good too. Keep your location in mind. WIll rainwater be available? Are there temperature extremes to deal with?

Freeze dried foods can be really expensive but are nice. You can also get cases of MREs (meals ready to eat) and it pays to have about a weeks worth of those on hand because they are nutritious and portable. A lot of foods will still be good after a year, even if they aren't quite as fresh. These will include tightly sealed dried fruit, hard jerky, hard frozen meat, and nuts still in the shell. Matzoh crackers are good for this actually, if you want a little bread, because they are always on massive sales after Passover, and they are sealed well for long term storage.

Most of my methods assume you have no electricity. If you do, and have a chest freezer, then so much the better. Your options are huge in that case.

If anyone isn't bored, and wants to know more, I have some good resources available to me and you can email me at airheart(at)hotmail(dot)com . My folks weren't survivalists, not in the modern use of the term, but we did live in the woods for a couple of years without running water or power.

The way to start this is to buy a little extra food each week. Shop sales, look for bargains. Put a little by as you go. It WILL add up.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

justmejust replied to jis4judy's response:
Judy, all, I am not sure of the validity of this, but think I read somewhere (Dr. Oz? or?) recently that the expiration date put on canned goods today is way earlier than needed, and that because of this many consumers are unknowingly contributing to needless waste.
Laura -
Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

totallywiggedout replied to justmejust's response:
There have been 50s era bomb shelters opened that have stored canned goods in them that are still good. "C rations' (combat rations) are the perfect example of this.
The rule of thumb is that if the can is in good condition and doesn't look like something has exploded inside of it, or that the stuff inside hasn't leaked in any way, it's still probably good.
Certainly there will be a smell or a funky color if it's not alright when opened.

huggs
k
Kim SW 253 CW 176.6 GW 135

Adapt what is useful, Reject what is useless, and Add what is specifically your own.----Bruce Lee

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
It's the "probably" that gets me Kim. Old canned goods weird me out. And think of the space they take up. And what if the can opener BREAKS! If the dehydrated food tastes anything like the Space food ice cream, I'm going that way. Have you all had that with your kids? Awesome!

Milton, Paradise Lost

Spotlight: Member Stories

Here I am! Feeling the worst I ever have. 100 pounds to lose and very overwhelmed about it. 1 year away from 50 years old. Developed high blood pressu...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.