Skip to content
Ack! Today is Cake Day
totallywiggedout posted:
Up early to make my list for Monica's Bday cake. She's 21 today. She and Alex are already out for her first real Prenatal visit. We'll see just how well she's doing and approx how far along they think she is. We are figuring 11 weeks or close to it.

Cake today will be Chocolate covered Strawberry, if it all comes together as planned. Icecream will be vanilla bean.
I'm still tossing around ideas about the cake itself. She wanted something like a Polka Dot cake, which will be time consuming as hell, but I could do it..... meh (probably)

I'll be taking pics and posting later tonight if it looks half way decent. If it falls over and we have to eat it with spoons.... prolly not. lol

Wish me luck , I think I may need it today to pull this off.

huggs
k
Kim SW 253 CW 176.6 GW 135

Adapt what is useful, Reject what is useless, and Add what is specifically your own.----Bruce Lee

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

FirstPrevious12NextLast

rachael2011 responded:
Good luck on the cake, Kim. Maybe you could squish strawberry slices in the place of the polka dots. I am excited to hear about the baby news too. So excited for you and your family.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

mog1026 responded:
Sigh. Wish I was there.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kim have fun making the cake I have no Idea what a poka dot cake is so looking forward to the photos //
tell Monica Happy Birthday for us Ok

Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

parakeet210 replied to jis4judy's response:
You can do it Kim. Looking forward to your picks
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

totallywiggedout responded:
Well, It wasn't polka dot... I tried "dropping" the chocolate and strawberry dough into the white cake, but it spread.... i was supposed to go out and buy a mini muffin tin, but I wouldn't use one enough to consider the expense of one.... so this is what it looked like.

All in all, not a bad cake. I was worried about it being heavy, but found that as it warmed to room temp , the crumb got better.

White cake, Real strawberry butter cream frosting, semi sweet chocolate ganache. Vanilla bean ice cream.

Honestly, the frosting was the bomb!

huggs
k

Adapt what is useful, Reject what is useless, and Add what is specifically your own.----Bruce Lee

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Better start putting "trigger" at the top of posts like THAT! I can't see images here but I imagine it looks really tasty. It always is when you start throwing words around like "buttercream" and "ganache."
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Looks good You have a flair for cakes
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh, can you not see images only on here or on FB too? cause I posted to fb first if you want to see them. Certainly, though , trigger would be a good opening for this cake. By far, the very best butter cream frosting I've ever made and the first time for ganache, which is so simple I can't believe I hadn't tried it before this.

huggs
k

rohvannyn replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Great that it came out so well! I'll check out the pictures when I get home. This is a work computer so they don't show most images on the few outside website I can get to. I work in the medical field so WebMd is a natural. I won't go on Facebook at all, gave that up entirely a couple years ago.

I'll have to look up ganache... people mention it periodically, and it sounds like an interesting word, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. It mostly seems to be associated with toppings on desserts. So time for fun research!

I had a major sugar craving the other day so I made a dessert that wasn't really that bad for me. I took some mixed nuts, freshly hulled and left over from last year...a few almonds, a couple walnuts, a couple brazil nuts, and a couple hazel nuts. I put a heaping tablespoon of dark brown sugar on them, a little salt, and a little water, and microwaved this for three minutes. Then I chopped up a banana and mixed it, ending up with a wonderful caramel and nut and banana dessert. I invented it yesterday. Not great for me but it had nutrients so wasn't a total loss.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Whoo Hoo Kim! That looks like a great cake and Super party! You all have a lot to celebrate . Hmmm strawberry buttercream. Yummmm!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh, until you got to the banana, your concoction sounded a lot like German candied almonds. Like at the fair? I LOVE those things.... the only thing you were missing at the carmalization stage was the cinnamon..... gads I miss those babies!

But with the banana, it's almost like Bananas foster with nuts, yes? You shoulda had a crepe too.....mmmmmmm

huggs
k

parakeet210 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
that's a great cake Kim!! thanks for showing u
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

rachael2011 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Your cake looks wonderful. Yum!!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

SharonNVirginia responded:
Did you go by a recipe for the strawberry buttercream? How did you know how much strawberry to put in? I'm really serious. My family always raves about how wonderful my cakes taste and laughs about how awful they look. Your cake looks absolutely beautiful. The chocolate icing provides the perfect backdrop for the tiara.

You have a gift!
Smoochies,
Sharon
CW 209 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

Spotlight: Member Stories

My story is I just woke up one day and decided I was tired of being fat. I got tired of wishing that I was skinny girl. Like when I would go to the st...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 79 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.