Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Costco has everything!
mog1026 posted:
All you need is water! And it's good for 25 years!

Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kathy I guess we had the same thoughts at the same time
I responded to your other post 2 times second one was basically the same thought you had only I didn't have Costco in mind LOl
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
There are so many choices here. It's amazing that these foods can be good for 25 years. Of course you would need water. So we would have to keep a generator running when we needed to get the well pump to work. I don't think I would bother with the regular grocery store because I'd go nuts trying to keep up with the expiration dates. I wonder if this is the route that LDS advocates. There must be a lot of people doing this if Costco has so many options and it comes on a shrink wrapped pallet. No sweets or junk so for sure we would lose weight

Milton, Paradise Lost

kalimiller replied to mog1026's response:
I would say that most LDS families can't afford this as most LDS families has many kids. I group up being the middle child of 5 - we would have needed two of these and didn't have 8k to throw on them at the time. I admit that it would be nice to be able to make that investment once every 25 years and not have to worry about it. My food storage has never been that extensive. Several months worth, but probably not a year. I just stock up on food that we normally use and just do FIFO (first in, first out). Food service can teach you so many useful things. My husband and I both do rotate food automatically as a result each of us working in food service for so many years.

I had no idea that Costco offered something like this, but I definitely like it. I'll have to save up for one. Now if only they had something similar that you could buy for dogs...hmm...
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 186

kalimiller replied to kalimiller's response:
Also, I was just looking over it more, and it struck me that the food is dehydrated. So you'd have to have all of your drinking water PLUS all the water to add to re hydrate the food. I can't even image the amount of water needed to re hydrate that.
-Kali

rohvannyn replied to kalimiller's response:
That's true, though it takes even more water to boil beans and such. It isn't really practical to store enough water for a whole year, it goes bad if nothing else. So it's better to store enough water for maybe a few weeks, figuring about a gallon per person per day. Then instead of storing water, store methods to get it. Water purification tablets, materials for a solar still, filters, what have you. It will depend on where you are and what your abilities are.

Sorry if I ramble, this is one of my favorite topics.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 replied to kalimiller's response:
But there is no way you could store enough water for even drinking. Would you assume that your well wouldn't work? If you check the site you don't have to buy a whole year. There are lots of options. I wish they would give free samples so we could see what it tastes like! Roh, have you stockpiled some food for yourself. I have a chest freezer so I have stuff there, but I have never thought of keeping more. I'm always finding expired things in my regular pantry shelves so. I haven't developed the skill of FIFO except in accounting practices

Milton, Paradise Lost

I enjoy talking and reading about this as well. I agree that there is no way to store enough water for a whole year without it going bad. Water purification is a great way to go. We got this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BBF2RY/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

a few years ago...we have very good 72 hours kits for emergencies and keep those well stocked and rotated always. We have the purifier as a back up - and it's pretty awesome. Expensive, but I think well worth the cost. We've tested it out on camping trips and it's pretty cool.

I haven't ever really used water purification tablets - not sure how that would affect the taste of the water (not that it would matter that much if it was water for surviving) - Roh, have you ever had the chance to use water purification tabs?
-Kali

My son goes to the remotest locations in the world and he has used water purification tablets. They work well and he rarely gets sick while traveling tho he called me to say yesterday that everyone was just sick for 24 hours, water or food, who knows.

Milton, Paradise Lost

rohvannyn replied to kalimiller's response:
I haven't tried purification tablets myself, just a portable filter. If you buy a filter, for heavens sake buy extra cartridges! I've learned that the hard way. There are also ways to make your own water filter with a large container (like a fifty gallon drum) and mesh, sand, and gravel, and some judicious alteration of the drum.

As for the other question, I have some food stockpiled, not as much as I once did, and not nearly as much as I want. Right now it's mostly in sardines (the huge kind packed in tomato sauce), black beans, some TVP, some matzoh, dried mushrooms, dried seaweed (only one bag currently) and some dried hibiscus flowers for the vitamin C. I want to get more TVP, more sardines, maybe some tuna too, some energy bars, and more black beans. I am aiming more for concentrated food value and portability at this time.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 replied to rohvannyn's response:
What is TVP? I checked out the portable water filter that Kali recommended on Amazon and that's exactly what the reviewers said, the cartridges are extra fragile so you should have an extra.

I'm not coming to your house for dinner Roh after the Apocalypse. I'm looking for someone with Mac n cheese and CAKE! LOL!

Milton, Paradise Lost

mog1026 replied to mog1026's response:
Check out www.newlifeonahomestead.com and you can see pictures of the opened thrive dehydrated food. It looks amazingly normal. We could put some on our Christmas list from Santa.

Milton, Paradise Lost

mog1026 replied to mog1026's response:
I just had the weirdest thought! If I bought this stuff it will probably outlast me! If a huge truck arrives at your door someday it means that I willed it to you! LOL!

Milton, Paradise Lost

I'll definitely look into that site some more - already bookmarked it for future reference.
-Kali

Oh Kali, my son called today from the middle of the Indian Ocean and he said the purification tablets are okay but everyone he works with uses the Lifestraw. It is $19.99 on Amazon. Works well for them. Super portable!

Milton, Paradise Lost

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've struggled with weight issues all of my adult life. At 37, looking back on all of those years of waisted time-I can never get back. I feel for...More

Helpful Tips

Working Out
OMG I had a very hard time getting out of the bed this morning to go to the gym. I'm not a morning person, but this morning it was awful. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.