Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Food for thought
abnersmom posted:
Good morning ladies. I'm up early and feeling almost back to normal. PMy sister is better and the rehab center she is in is wonderful - good food, caring folk. I feel such a relief knowing that she is getting 3 nutritious meals a day, PT, OT and the care she needs.

I don't think I posted that I asked my surgeon if there was anything to do to prevent this scar tissue from forming and this happening to me again. He said no and went on to explain that he operated on a man the same week as me and the man died. Scary, huh? He said the chances of me having this again would be extremely rare and that my going in to the ER so quickly helped me a lot. It is sobering to think that I was so close to death.

I've had a little breathing space to reflect on this and I wonder what the outcome of this surgery would have been 2 1/2 years ago when I was morbidly obese. No one can know for sure, but I believe that it would not have been as good. If I can give anyone motivation by posting that removing the weight could truly make a difference in life or death, I want to do so. Yes, it's hard. No, it doesn't get much easier. Is it worth the struggle, hell yes, people! Make a commitment, not to be perfect with food or exercise, but to get it right 80% of the time and just do it.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

jis4judy responded:
wow Deb you really did dodge the death bullet I was unaware of that happening from scar tissue so your experience is sure educational for me I am also happy to hear your sister is well cared for .It is true non of us are perfect in our eating habits just keeping that healthy eating as the very base of our eating plan I have occasional indulgences just try not to make it a daily habit ,,
I think I was like Rachael I had a love affair with food I had to break up with it ...I wasn;t eating because of hunger it used to be the food itself I was hooked on ..
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 responded:
Debbie,you are making lemonade out of this awful experience because I think you're helping every one of us who reads this post this morning. I have been lost here for a while, feeling miserable and fuzzy and you just brought things back into focus for me. Thank you so much. And thank God you are okay!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 201.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

abnersmom replied to mog1026's response:
Thanks Kathy! Sorry you are struggling. I have confidence that you will do what you need to do to get healthy. You are eating mostly healthy foods, just need to control the amount. Alas, I see you still have not dumped those larabars! Get rid of those suckers!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

mog1026 replied to abnersmom's response:
LARABARS,,,,...Aaarrrrgghhhh!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy please tell me what is on the ingredient list on those larabars I searched for it but all I learned was there are 9 ingredients or less in them but no info on what those 9 ingredients are ... they are energy bars to fuel long endurance walks or runs so they are loaded with some kind of energy inducer most likely sugar
Hugs Judy

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
No Judy, I am holding it in my hand (not eating!) and the ingredient list is this:

CASHEWS, DATES

That's it! At least in the kind that I get. Maybe they make some other energy bars or something with more ingredients. Sometimes this kind has some other fruit like cherries or lemons mixed in with the dates and nuts but my particular favorite is called Cashew cookie and it just has the two. These are the ones that the books on health and weight loss recommended.

Milton, Paradise Lost

how many calories in the whole bar ?
Hugs Judy

parakeet210 replied to jis4judy's response:
Wow it seems like everyone has a struggle that's on the line!! I too am glad ur ok Debbie.

Lara bars eh?? Kathy? Well all I can say is the 80% rule sounds good to me
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

abnersmom replied to parakeet210's response:
Thanks Keet!

blondie454u responded:
Sharing your story is great for those who need a good reminder that it can happen to you! I wish my mother in law and my daughter would realize this but all you can do is live by example.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

mog1026 replied to blondie454u's response:
200 calories in the bar Judy

Milton, Paradise Lost

that's likely from the cashews
the calories almost the same as a small candy bar less sweet though I would think //
Thanks Kathy I know I was fishing to find more info
Hugs Judy

SharonNVirginia replied to jis4judy's response:
There is something about dried fruit which is very bad for blood sugar not as bad as white sugar but much worse than fresh fruit. When I was diagnosed with diabetes I was warned to stay off my favorite holiday snack. dates with walnuts. As a child I would eat them til I was full. Maybe that's part of why I'm here now.
Smoochies,
Sharon
CW 207 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

rohvannyn replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
Dried fruit is sooooo tasty... unfortunately, you can eat a lot more of it than when it's fresh fruit equivalent. Just try eating a half cup of dried apple, versus the four or five apples it took to make that! I've got a dehydrator and I can burn through a LOT of dried fruit if I'm not careful. It's full of sugar, of course, even if it's unsweetened.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm from Malaysia and have just joined this group. I was a big baby (13.25lbs) and have never been small. But now that I'm in 54 with 5 pr...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
61 of 76 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.