Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Oh I thought of a topic I have trouble with, Emotional Eatting!
foodadvenger posted:
If I get mad or upset or worried, I automatically am hungry and head for the kitchen, I am hoping visiting online with you guys will help me with that, so if something goes wrong, I will try to not let it ruin what I have worked so hard for. I have set down and ate a box of ice cream crying before bed, but that was the old me, this one is going to do better. No more passive aggressive emotional eating behavior, I get mad, I am gonna have to run, clean house, chew gum, open the door and scream, do something more productive, short of going to jail...lol...never been there and I am in no hurry either!!! I have tried being calm and taking deep breaths, I once thought I might need anger management when I get upset, I pray about more patience a lot. I try to say Lord Bless them they are making me crazy!! Does this happen to anyone else or is it just me? Steph

foodadvenger responded:
You know when I was young I could just punch other people in my school years, I felt better, and they new to leave me alone. But now that I am grown, and have been saved, and Love the Lord, help teach Sunday school and all that, it is no longer a option. Well it could be, but my Pastor would not be happy with me..LOL...When people that I love hurt my feelings it is hard for me to deal with it in a nice manner. I want to pay them back, and I know that is not Christ like, so I emotionally eat. I did not have that problem when I was young. Maybe I need to just pray a whole lot more, and remember there is nobody perfect, we all make mistakes, just a thought as well. Steph

jis4judy replied to foodadvenger's response:
Hi I had emotional eating too although it wasn;t anger mostly just worrying about things ..
I found that the serenity prayer helps a lot

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

this one really helps in many areas
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

SharonNVirginia replied to foodadvenger's response:
Dear Steph,

I have been thinking along these lines.

I can't be the best possible servant for the Lord unless I am healthy

To be healthy, I must remove my excess fat and gain strength.

Eating sweets and starches make me fat. \

Therefore, eating sweets and starches are preventing me from being the servant of the Lord I want to be.

Ergo, eating temptation comes from Satan. He is trying to take me out.

I refuse, Satan, I refuse to let you take me out. I will do everything I can to serve my Lord. After all, my body does not belong to me it was bought by Christ's sacrifice on the cross to take on my sins. If my body belongs to Jesus, how dare I abuse it?
Smoochies,
Sharon
CW 207 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

foodadvenger replied to SharonNVirginia's response:
AMEN!!! I feel the same way! We need to both take it the Lord in prayer and be strong prayer warriors in this area of our life. Satan can't destroy what belongs to God already, but he can sure try, just read what all happen to Job. I am sure you know the story. We will preserver. but that don't mean it want be easy, but as long as Christian women like us stick together we will be a lot harder to tear down. I love that song The Lord is my High Tower, My Refuge and Strength. I love the piano. I have been playing Oh Lord You are So Beautiful to me lately, the words go like this: Oh Lord your so beautiful to me your face is all I seek, for when your eyes are on this child, Your grace abounds in me, Oh Lord please light the fire that once burned bright and clear. replace the lamp of my first love that burns with holy fear. I want to take your word and shine it all around but first help me just to live it Lord. And when I'm doing well, help me to never seek a crown, for my reward is giving glory to you. Sometimes I cry when I play that lately. I will pray for all of us to have strength within ourselves to make good choices. Thanks Steph

rohvannyn replied to foodadvenger's response:
One thing that has helped me with my temper is simply paying attention to myself. If you watch what is happening to you, and think about why things make you angry or upset or hurt, you can start to change yourself a little so they don't hurt as much. When someone makes you angry, stop and think "why am I angry?" Maybe there is a really good reason for it, and you can do something about it. Maybe there is no good reason for it, and you can laugh and think "how silly, why should I be angry about that?" Or maybe there is something else behind it, and if you can identify it, you can give yourself what you truly need.

By paying attention to your own emotional landscape, you can better tend to your own mental and emotional needs, and thereby do a better job of tending to others. At least, that's what I think. When I remember to do this it works quite well. When I don't, I end up doing dumb things and saying dumb things.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

parakeet210 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Ya know I had this exact thing happen to me today that I knew another professional hurt me n good!! I also found out I have an infection in breast. On antibiotics n heat packs. I guess as w anyone wen someone does something personally hurt and medical things upset me. O well sigh I did realize and was aware Roh but still ate improper and poison as someone said on here. I'm feeling jammed up!!
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

blondie454u responded:
Yes it does happen to me. I workout a lot and pray a lot! I pray even while working out. I do let things get to me way too much. I'm getting better with it but you can't change overnight.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

rohvannyn replied to foodadvenger's response:
Something else that made me think. When people that I love hurt my feelings, I can ask them to stop. And, or, I can change how I react to it. If they don't stop, maybe it's time for that punch in the nose. Either way it's no excuse for me to HARM myself by eating.

Thank you for bringing up this topic. If I get to the roots of my eating, it will be easier not to indulge in emotional eating. I think it comes down to finding other ways to feel in control of my life or feel better, rather than stuffing my face. So getting to the real root of the problem and fixing that is the answer.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

SharonNVirginia replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh, this is solid gold!
Smoochies,
Sharon
CW 207 SW 265 GW 130
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.-Philippians 4:13

foodadvenger replied to rohvannyn's response:
yes, great advice!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi all! My stories simple, I'm here to lose weight and to find like minded people to connect with. I lost my motivation, and hoping and praying th...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
61 of 76 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.