Skip to content
Help!
foodadvenger posted:
I was reading before bed, and found a great quote and then done some research on helping us girls and guys!

Pray as it depends on God and work like it all depends on you.

Luke 14:16-24 excuses:

I read this and this is what the Lord laid on my heart to type tonight. The story is Jesus telling about a man who invites several guest to come to dinner, it is ready and waiting on them. His slave went out and asked them all to come to dinner. They all had a different EXCUSE for why they could not come, The man got angry and sent the slave to get all the poor, lame, crippled, blind, and bring them to eat. He brought them and still had room, so he went out and got more. The man said those people that were invited will never eat my dinner.

Point I got from the story was if we all keep making excuses we are gonna miss out on what God has in store for us. It is up to us as individuals to make excuses or make the right decisions. we can let our sinful nature hold us back, our flesh, or we can walk in the spirit, have faith God will do his part, but if we don't do ours we will never succeed. We can pray and lay it all down at the Lords feet but if we don't strive to make good choices and do what we know is right, we are just spinning our wheels, we are never gonna to move forward, and in the end we will be left out, just like those quest who were invited. We have got to put forth a great effort and do our part to succeed, and God will do his part as well.

Anyway gone to bed! Huggs Steph

blondie454u responded:
Amen!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

rohvannyn responded:
It's a good point even for someone like me. I'm atheist, but I can completely agree that prayer (or even hoping) must be backed up by actions. Same with weight loss. Intention has to be backed up by a change in behavior.

It reminds me of the old story... the guy prays for rescue in a flood. He prays earnestly and sincerely. A rowboat comes, and a speed boat, and eventually a helicopter, and each time the fellow says "no, go on, the Lord will save me." Eventually he drowns and as he faces God he asks "Lord, why didn't you save me?" And God says "I sent you a rowboat, a speedboat, and a helicopter. What more do you want?"

When I was religious I believed that it was our job as humans to be the instruments through which good happened. As an atheist, I still believe this. Doing something, whether in weight loss or being kind to others, is so important.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

foodadvenger replied to rohvannyn's response:
Dear Roh, One day I will post how I got saved and came to know Christ.

I know several atheist! They are all very kind loving people. There is a difference in having religion and really knowing Christ. There are so many people who set in church and never know Christ. The problem comes in when people are raised in church or it just comes a routine for them. I know so many people who say I love Jesus, who look down on others because they have less or there unpopular, whatever the reason.

This is all because we all have a individual sin in our life, there's is they do not know Christ, they just thank they do, because Christ sat with sinners, not saints, he washed there feet, he never thought he was above no one. We all have sin, it is recognizing and wanting to change. I know Christians who don't go to church because they say church is full of Hippocrates. It is all the more reason for them to be there and hear the written word. Christ love's all! He wishes for them to know him, but he is like a hidden treasure, search and you can find him.

I have been to several denomantions in my life, confused to death, to the point it is scary. Studied with one group 2 years in my home. I finally read my Bible, studied it, and I got saved, and you know what? I was not in church when it happened! I will explain it all later to you. There is going to people a lot of people who sit on a pew in a church every time the door is open who will probably end up in hell.

Thanks Stephanie

foodadvenger replied to foodadvenger's response:
Dear Roh, You should know I am not the average person. I have came a long way over the years. I was on my piano playing Awesome God, and I came back to write you. I use to listen to AC/DC, metallica, iron maiden, etc. I have not listened to it since I got saved, unless it is on accident in a store or something.

You no in school how there are the kids that are com-formative, cheerleader, ball players, they strived to fit in.

and then there are the non com-formatives like me, who stand out in a crowd, like the black cloths, artistic, very quite,weird, everyone is scared of..lol..well that use to be me.

It's funny really my teen is like I use to be. She thinks I am like the mean ole teachers and all, but if a topic comes up, or a song, I tell her who it is by, she is in shock!! I said if I was your age now we would be best friends, but I know we will be in the future. I have to be a parent first.

She says know mom that she knows, knows things like I do, she said I am like a physic..lol..you can't get away with anything, she said my friends all have there parents fooled. I said they hung around the wrong crowd growing up....lol... I stayed out of trouble but I have not forgotten how to sie-ful gas and all that. I did a whole lot of watching and listening, during my quite years. (Observation I guess!)

We now are closer than ever before, because it is better to be honest with me, than me find out anything from another parent. I explained freedom, trust, and all that is earned, not something you just get around our house!

Steph

rohvannyn replied to foodadvenger's response:
Hi there... no need to share your testimonial with me. It's important to you, and that's what matters. You are doing what is right for you, and I am doing what is right for me. Anyway, this is a weight loss forum, and we can have that in common at least. I'm not going to go into the abuse I and my loved ones have experienced at the hands of religious folks, some of whom claimed that they were very close with Jesus, because this isn't the place for that either.
It's great you are so close with your teen. And it's also great that you practice your religion in a kind, uplifting way. I was once of very strong faith but it left me empty. At this point I take great joy in what I can see and touch, and I love helping where I can, especially with sharing information and dispelling myths. After all, isn't a search for truth something we all share?

Be well.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Dear Roh, I know the truth about my salvation now, I know longer search for the truth. I have found it. But I believe I understand where you are coming from and how you feel. After all the religious leaders are the ones who had Christ put on the Cross in the first place. So point taken! I can tell you are a wonderful and very intelligent person regardless of faith. I got to unbox lots of birthday toys now. I have lost 4 pounds so far Roh. I am happy. It will be 2 weeks this Monday. Thanks for being a friend! Long as people can simply disagree out of love, that is what matters. Stephanie

I got to get a photo of my cat up there so you can see him too!

rohvannyn replied to foodadvenger's response:
Congrats on your success! It sounds like you are putting in a lot of effort, so keep it up. I'm here to support others, and to get a little support now and again when I need it, and I love this community.

If more folks would get their religion out of the way when it interferes with them being good and decent people, this world would be a better place. The main problem is the differing definitions of what "good" is.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

Yes, we should all care about each regardless of faith and respect one another.

Minds are like parachutes, they only work when opened.

Steph

Spotlight: Member Stories

(Wow, could have sworn I saved my story already.) Here goes...I'll be 49 later this year (2013), and I've been overweight since about age 7 or...More

Helpful Tips

Easy Link to the WebMD Food and Fitness Planner
To let people know how to find it, go to WebMD home page it's listed on there, but here's the easy link for you ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.