Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
losing half of me
An_254082 posted:
I am 61 yrs old and weight 338 lbs. I would like to lose half of me. My down falls are breads and sweets. I have no will power when it comes to these items. I am trying to cut down, but it is very hard. I do good until I get home, then I binge all night long. any suggestions will be appreciated.

mardee responded:
First. WELCOME

And second, dont buy them and keep them in your house, there will be no temptation
Mardee
CW 191 - SW 200 - GW 125

Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.
- Japanese Proverb

totallywiggedout responded:
Hey,An082.
Welcome.
Try not to be negative in anything..even how you look at how much you want to lose.
You won't be losing half of yourself..you'll be discovering the real you underneath.
And you'll be better...by half !
Speaking from one sweet tooth to another...drink no more sodas,not even and especially not,diet ones. The false sugars trigger your brain to think that you are taking in something sweet..and your body thinks calories are coming. When they don't , your body goes into a sort of desperation that triggers the munchies.
Drink water... at least 64 oz a day. Teas and coffee are OK too but sweeten with natural sweeteners if necessary , like stevia,honey,agave...etc.
Find healthier alternatives. Have a piece of fruit..a tiny box of raisins..a small single cup of unsweetened applesauce....use cinnamon or other spices to excite your taste buds and reteach them to appreciate naturally sweet foods...
As for bread, buy low calorie heart healthy whole wheat or grain ...use low cal wraps and pitas...whole wheat English muffins....but only have ONE or one slice.....half a sandwich on whole grain stuffed to the max with veggies like at subway will fill u up for longer than a whole one filled with high fat high sodium meats and cheeses because of the fiber....

Keep blogging. It helps to have support.

Huggs
Kim
Kim SW 253 CW 176.6 GW 135

Adapt what is useful, Reject what is useless, and Add what is specifically your own.----Bruce Lee

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

ladylavender responded:
Welcome. U aren't alone. I need to "lose half of me," too. I like Kim's positive spin to it.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

foodadvenger responded:
yep, listen to Kim, and welcome. Negativity just makes things worse. Look at the glass half full not half empty, make small changes in your life, they will become great stepping stones for you as you move forward. I have the same problem, once you start getting the sugar and starches out of your system the cravings for them will not be as strong no more. I know! They are my biggest weakness as well. But I think of all the things I can replace with them, until I am healthier and down in my weight were I need to be. Welcome to the community. Steph

abnersmom responded:
Welcome! Kim amid Mardee have given you good advice. I can't keep my trigger foods in the house - for me it's chips and salty crunchy snacks. Log your food and see what you are truly eating; nutrition and calorie wise. Best of luck! You can do it if I did.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

jis4judy responded:
Hi anon

welcome aboard
Kim always gives great advice the thing I want to say is I started my journey to better health at 61 years of age
I am now 71 years young
please focus your food choices on a balanced nutrition and the weight will adjust itself as you go along thinking in terms of a bunch of weight loss is daunting so think more of the benefits of eating as healthy as possible less processed foods more natural foods that are mostly fruits and vegies whole grains ff dairy lean meats nuts in moderation
you really need to stop buying the "trigger foods" if they aren't there you can't indulge ...
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Welcome and Kim has give you some great advice!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

bluecloroxqueen responded:
thanks to all for your replies. Kim you gave some good advise that I am already trying to follow. My goals are really small. I am trying to lose 20 lbs by Christmas, then I will worry about the balance of what I want to lose. I know that I have to have realistic goals. I am trying to exercise, walking the dog, is the main goal now. 5 laps around the parking lot this morning. Not much I know but more than I have been. I have eliminated sugar from my grocery list, and diet drinks as well. I do not buy cookies or chips very often, binging when they are around. I bake my breads which is very seldom. Time to get ready for work, now love and good day to you all.

totallywiggedout replied to bluecloroxqueen's response:
Morning, Blue.
Every little bit helps. That's the motto for our journey.
Every single step you take today is further than you went yesterday toward your goal. Don't ever think that what you are doing now for exercise isn't enough if it's what you CAN do. Push a little more each week. Don't overdo it. Don't make yourself pressured in anything, exercise or food intake.... If you don't feel like you HAVE to, you won't quit. Remember, it was your decision to start this journey. It's your body. It's your life and this new way of healthier choices is completely up to you.... no pressures. You will get there when you get there and if you take your time, you will learn the valuable lessons along the way that will help you STAY there.
This is for the rest of your life. You have a long time to do this and make it stick.

huggs
k
Kim SW 253 CW 176.6 GW 135

Adapt what is useful, Reject what is useless, and Add what is specifically your own.----Bruce Lee

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

rachael2011 responded:
Hi Blue, I just wanted to add my "welcome".
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi I am Misty. I Live in Arkansas. I have two great kids and a awesome husband. I am 26 years old and finally getting to go to college. I am a Big Gir...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
62 of 77 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.