Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cannot commit to be committed
An_254306 posted:
I am new to the community, my story is that I have been 100lbs over obese for 15 years, I am almost 52, and cannot get focused, disciplined, I want to be a size 14 at least or a 12 or even smaller…. but I am like a 20/22/24, need to lose 120 lbs or 110, but cannot even lose 1 lb without rewarding myself with a special treat, 5'4, female. I have so many tools, personal trainer, husband who works out and eats right, and is in excellent shape and health at 54. We are 2 opposites yet I have all the support in the world; but will eat ice cream, make brownies and yes, stick with a weight loss program all at the same time and exercise. I am on medicine for depression and anxiety, I think my sugar is so high (not yet a diabetic), that my eye sight was so affected I just had cataract surgery in both eyes! Yet, still cannot cannot get focused.

I want to live a long life, be healthy, look great; but do not have it in me to do what it takes. Admitting all of this is very difficult, and on the flip, I put everything into my job; all of my energy to be the best I can be everyday. My health is where I need to put my energy. And do I, no!

I share all this to see if there is anyone out there that can even relate at all with me.

I have always been overweight by about 10 lbs, but when I started meds for emotional issues and lots of them 20 years ago, I slept all the time and gained 60 lbs in no time, and it has just gotten worse.

I have a workout room up stairs. t.v. or music, a loving and supporting family and friends as well, but none of this is enough to get me focused, or in a position that I really care by acting like I care with my actions.

I have worked out off and on for over 30 years, have low blood pressure, but low vitamin D, which is a result of fat. I bet if I saw a picture of the inside of my body with the fat; maybe then knowing what I look like, the fat that surrounds my organs and my heart, I would finally care.

And then I go on the computer and can find 100's of before and after photos (people mostly younger, 20's 30's losing weight and looking great); I don't see this with people over 50.

I have never written something so brutally honest like I have here…if you are still with me reading this, I hope you will share with me your story; your struggles and what your turning point has been to say, no more of this, I want this and am I willing to do whatever it takes to get there..

jis4judy responded:

My most recent after picture above

my before photo below I started when I was 61 April 2003I am now 71 maintaining over a decade

you can read my story by clicking on my user name or photo

I hope these photos and my story help you
welcome Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Oh wow Judy, wow! Just show the pictures and you dont have to say a word. They tell the story.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

mefirstforever responded:
Welcome An,
Come an join us! and you will read amazing stories and on going discussions, incouragement. We all have the same goal to lead an healthy and happy live.
Judy cetainly has been a great mentor as well has Amber Momixali, Debbie, everyone on this board has a story.
For me there has not been a turning point just alot of inner work and it is work in progress. There is no magic. Just hard work. And you can do it.
helene
Helene GW 140 CW 202.4 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

jis4judy responded:
Hi anon I was thinking about your non commitment . maybe you are looking at this in a odd way ...
every time you eat something not good for you.. You are making a decision.. it is just a matter of making better decisions
you are committed to be unhealthy when you make unhealthy decisions ... so it isn't commitment that's the problem it is the goal of the commitment that has to change .. I know I had a hard time getting started I started and failed several times before I was totally in this for health reasons . there usually is a certain treat food that messes up the plan .. mine was ice cream so I made a plan to slip once a month but only if I stayed on plan the whole month then and only then I could allow 1 serving at an ice cream shop,,, Sometimes we have to make extra rules to include certain trigger foods we aren't willing to give up ..
look within to find out why you cannot commit to being healthy
Hugs Judy

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Judy's picture says it all! Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

abnersmom responded:
Hi Anon, Welcome. You've gotten good advice. I have found it easier (not easy mind you) to keep foods that I would overeat out of my house. I don't think I'd ever binge on a bag of apples, but a bag of chips would be calling to me until I ate the whole thing. Small changes at first, things you know you will be successful at.

I have a sister that has numerous serious health issues and about 5 years ago had to come live with me. To this day, she does not take care of herself like I wish she would, but that is her choice. I think seeing her poor health and how it limits her made me finally decide to be healthy. Then I came here and learned that I can do it!! You can too!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

malkab responded:
I too am new to this community and can relate to everything you say. I am 65 and my compulsive eating disorder began at the age of 17, but only after menopause did the pounds pile on and have not left since. I also find it difficult to commit, since food is my drug of choice. I began the WebMD food and fitness planner today and will try to succeed; it's important since I'll be going on pension soon. I want to be available for my terrific kids and grandkids. Regards to you all, Malka

mefirstforever replied to malkab's response:
Welcome Malka,

This is a great start. Keep on logging and participate in the blog. Especially if you are retiring you will have time to take care of number one Malka.
Helene
Helene GW 140 CW 202.4 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

malkab replied to jis4judy's response:
I've just read your story and was inspired to follow suit.
Thank you!
Malka

jis4judy replied to malkab's response:
You are welcome Please stick around we love newbies
we each learn something from each other
I post an eat a raibow post daily where we log our foods and hopefully eat a rainbow of fruits and vegies
Hugs Judy

parakeet210 replied to jis4judy's response:
Welcome!!
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

blondie454u replied to malkab's response:
Welcome!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

foodadvenger replied to jis4judy's response:
looking good Judy!!1 Steph

justmejust replied to malkab's response:
An_254306 and malkab, thanks for posting, and welcome. This group loves newbies here because we appreciate all different people and their stories from which we can all learn from too. Welcome! Please keep posting, if just to say "Hi!"

Huggs
Laura
Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi everyone, my name is Nidia, I am 31 years old, and I have been overweight my entire life, I have tried a lot of diets and exercise programs but I a...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
61 of 76 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.