Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
GRUMP!
rohvannyn posted:
I need to vent a little here. Feel free to join in.

It's absolely disgusting how hard it is to simply buy food that doesn't have all manner of CRAP in it. I wanted some ham, I couldn't find it without DEXTROSE added at the very least. Even the non honey glazed stuff. I understand the preservatives, that's kind of a given with ham, but dextrose? That was in the best ham. The worst ham also had corn syrup, corn syrup solids, modified this and that, and all kind of other pollutants.

I went to buy a jar of alfredo sauce (I know, I know, but it was a one time indulgence and I haven't had any in about four years) and didn't read the entire label, which was set up in columns that were widely separated, and so found more corn syrup solids, modified egg yolk enzyme, and all kinds of other undesirables. That was the store brand. The other brands had been WORSE. (Quick pro tip, often the name brand items have more junk than certain store brands such as Kroger select.)

That jar went to the food bank. So, I decided to make the stuff from scratch. At least that way I'd know what was going in my body. I had no idea how hard it would be to find real, actual cream that didn't have
carragheenan and other additives in it! The unadulterated stuff was all organic and sky high in price. The same is true across the board. The real, whole, simple ingredients are extremely expensive, and that's not just because of shelf life or other concerns like that. They make the prepared junk cheap and hide all kinds of nasty things in it.

Know what I do now? I go to the Asian supermarket, and the Hispanic supermarket. I can still find unpoisoned food there. I can find good meat, fresh sour cream that doesn't have a bunch of additives (just milk and cultures in their freshly made crema), good cheese made in house, chicken that actually looks edible, and all kinds of things that are all but forgotten in the mainstream supermarkets. What really infuriates me is that I shouldn't have to look so far afield just to get good, wholesome food. Basically, I don't want to eat anything that has more than two or three ingredients. That shouldn't be hard! Especially with something like milk or cream.

This also has a good weight loss lesson though. With a jarred sauce, it's easy to forget what all goes into it, and why it's fattening. If you make it yourself, you can not only measure what you put in, but you are seeing it as it happens. It's OBVIOUS why the food is good, or bad, for you. It's not disguised.

Anyway, thanks for reading, if you made it this far.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
It was fascinating Roh I never thought to look at the ingredients in milk and cream I certainly learned something new today thanks
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to jis4judy's response:
Ok Roh I looked at my milk and it didn't have anything in there I didn't expect I use lactaid milk extra calcium so it had the usual vitamins added to milk and the thing that takes out the lactose
So I am pleased with my milk will be shopping tomorrow and will check the cream I know Ham and any sauce in a bottle is not good Ham is a processed meat
Hugs Judy

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn replied to jis4judy's response:
See, I totally get that ham is a processed meat, so even if you made it yourself it would have nitrates/nitrites. But in a salt cured ham, there is no reason for corn syrup or dextrose! I'd understand if it was honey glazed. I'm glad your milk didn't have anything bad. The problem I had with the cream may have been because it specifically heavy whipping cream, but they didn't even have regular cream! It's not like I even have cream in the house more than once every few years anyway, but still.

Soy sauce can actually be really awesome, you can even get gluten free soy sauce that has about four ingredients and no preservatives, but it will never be good if you have to watch your salt and you have to either buy it online or at an asian store.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

parakeet210 replied to rohvannyn's response:
roh,
what part of the country do you live? its awful whats in food.
I made a casserole tonight for hubby for vets day.

didn't have any rice kim. I made a chich ekn 1/2 and 1/2 based cheese sauce all made from scratch. a few things were frozen but it wasn't heavily poisioned. I need to get to the store tomorrow! and get me some freshness. I have a lot of work to do however!!
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

rohvannyn replied to parakeet210's response:
I currently live in Arizona but back when I lived in the Pacific NorthWet I noticed the same thing. At least it's pomegranate season again... the ones up north were overly cloying, but these taste great.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout responded:
I made it to the end and wanted MORE! lol
I love a good rant.... and I gotta say , Roh, you are the Queen of Rants!
Everything you said hit home with me too. I spent a couple of hours trying to find the best real foods I could last week, because I am trying to get Michael to eat better without having to fight him on some of his favorite stuff. Like ham.... and you touched on this item too.
Basically, the only way to eat raw and fresh, "unpoisoned" foods is to graze in your own unsprayed backyard or kill the neighbor's pet mini pig.
I'm sorry you are having so many troubles .... I'm not as committed as you , so I don't feel it as often or as hard, but I know where you're coming from. I do like your idea of the Asian market though. I have a little one that has some items that I could use, not as good a selection as yours obviously has, but maybe it's time I check out the place again and see what I could use.

Thanks
huggs
k
Kim SW 253 CW 176.6 GW 135

Adapt what is useful, Reject what is useless, and Add what is specifically your own.----Bruce Lee

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

totallywiggedout replied to parakeet210's response:
That casserole is gonna be the death of me. I wanted to make it this evening, had finally gotten out of bed long enough to make it to the store... bought everything EXCEPT rice..... no rice,Mother Hubbard's cupboard has NO RICE!!! lol
So... conseqently.... it was a quick stir fry which I coaxed Michael to eat some of .

Yes, I was back on here a little after my "nap attack" because I couldn't sleep yet. I swear some of those drugs have speed in them so that they break down faster in your system to control pain, but they don't let you relax enough to truly escape it with sleep, they just dull your senses.

grrrr.
But , I did finally nap and I awoke some 20 years later needing to seriously consider shaving my legs..clear to my armpits... or the other way around

huggs
k
Kim SW 253 CW 176.6 GW 135

Adapt what is useful, Reject what is useless, and Add what is specifically your own.----Bruce Lee

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

abnersmom responded:
Roh, I never thought about checking my milk and I usually read all labels!! Thanks for this post. I do buy the occasional ham to take on sandwich thins to work. I just like it and so I do. I would love to make everything from scratch and mostly do, but somethings I still buy in cans and jars to save me time. Maybe someday I can retire and do all the healthy things that I want to do...sigh.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
Hi Deb I still buy baked beans in tomato sauce in cans
I tried to make them from dried beans but that's a skill I do not have ... they taste awfull when I try to make them myself
I add in hot pepper flakes and tobacco sauce for some extra heat
Hugs Judy

ladylavender responded:
Love the rants! Thanks, ROH. I had discovered similar problems with simple things like canned beans. I learned the same thing - store brands are generally simpler and the brand Goya I like. Why on earth do we need corn syrup in a can of beans? I still toss them in a strainer and rinse them before using them.

"Northwet" - Too funny. I know u did that on purpose, ROFL
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

rohvannyn replied to ladylavender's response:
Wow... I don't really know if I want to be the queen of rants. It's just that some things are important and need to be thought about more.

Yep, Abby, I did that on purpose. I lived up there for thirty years and have not found a more apt name!
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh you're the deep thinker here and we need you! Revel in your moniker . It never occurred to me to read labels on milk and cream but I will pay attention in the future. I still eat junk, but I like to do so MINDFULLY. . LOL!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

rohvannyn replied to mog1026's response:
The way I see it, if I try to eat clean, and then I do indulge but eat something that has only a few ingredients and is made of good food, I will get the caloric hit but at least I won't be starting the same kind of nasty cycle again. It's been shown that high fructose corn syrup sets up more of a craving cycle than even normal sugar does. That is partly why HFCS is added to nearly everything Mcdonalds sells, and is added to all kinds of other foods that don't need it. It's a cheaper form of sugar but it also makes people want to eat more of it again. You will find it in processed meats, breads, canned food, sauces, juices, and many other items... for those not used to reading labels, it's a shocking thing.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

foodadvenger responded:
yeah I hate to say it, but short of raising your own cattle, and keeping a green house, it is hard to find fresh anything. We do have a seasonal flea market you can buy fresh butter, eggs, and produce, but not meats. A lot of folks here kill there on beef and hogs and have them processed, but you got to have big freezers. I have a close friend she processes a lot of deer. I use to as well. Wild game is really great for you as well.

I get frustrated also when I see this and that and it is suppose to be good for you and all you got to do is flip it over and read the label, and it is WOW>>WOW>>>and WOW! No wonder we are all dying early.

I like junk like Kathy but want just limited amounts. Food should be fuel for our body for sure. Stephanie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had a job that involved being at a computer..resulting in health related issues, the biggest one is my weight. I just retired (I think) ...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.