Skip to content
Now's the time
abnersmom posted:
Hi all,

It's time to make your healthy eating plan for Thanksgiving. I'm sure we will all indulge a bit as we should, but we must have a plan to hold the damage to a minimum.

My sister and I are eating out so I won't have control over the ingredients, but I will still have control over my portion sizes. The good thing about eating out is that I can indulge but not be tempted with leftovers. I cooked for my ex-husband's family and my family for many years and I never thought I'd be one to eat out on Thanksgiving, but it's great. I'd usually eat more the day after when I wasn't being the hostess with the mostest.

Make your plans for turkey day and the leftovers gals. I want us all to come out on the other side of the holidays unscathed!!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

jis4judy responded:
hi deb my thanksgiving was always lower cals than most I make a bread based stuffing I use broth homemade to flavor it lots of celery onions I also add apple and chopped walnuts to it
. I use only half the amount of butter called for in the recipe

my gravy is thickened with corn starch

mashed potato get tiny bit of butter and I use sour cream fat free in place of milk
the real problem with this holiday is the desserts pies etc
that's where I get in trouble
hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

abnersmom replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks Judy. I thought it might help newbies to see how you have handled the holidays for your 10 years in maintenance. I know it helped me.

Amber, join in if you have the time. I'm thinking your splurge is pumpkin pie? Do I remember correctly?
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

blondie454u replied to abnersmom's response:
Yes I have do have my pumpkin pie! I don't do the cooking for Thanksgiving, my sister in law does. I don't have to worry about leftovers. I eat what I want keeping portions under control and not stuffing myself until I am miserable.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

foodadvenger replied to blondie454u's response:
yeah, you girls, holidays are a ISSUE! I love food, especially during the holidays! To bad the Allien mother ship want give us a lift away during those holidays...lol...then drop us back off after there over. Stephanie

ausgram responded:
Good post Debbie. Yep, I'm thinking about Thanksgiving meal and goodies too until this morning. Got an email from my dau and we won't be going to her house after all. They aren't going to eat till about 6 pm and we won't eat that late. So we are staying home. I will cook a turkey and the fixings, but it will be MY way of cooking which will be healthy.
I like this post you started Debbie cause it makes one think of how to do thanksgiving without all the fat and calories. Right?
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -185; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

abnersmom replied to ausgram's response:
Thanks Aussie! I hope you are not too disappointed about not going to your daughter's home for Thanksgiving. You're putting a positive spin on it knowing that the meal you prepare will be healthier.

As I'm coming up on my one year anniversary in maintenance, I'm very aware of all the good advice that I got when I first began this journey. Food and the holidays was a biggie for me!! Judy, Amber and some others who aren't around anymore were extremely helpful to me in navigating the pitfalls and also making me realize that all is not lost if you slip!!!! Just get going again - not the next day, but immediately after the slip.

parakeet210 replied to abnersmom's response:
we're having Mexican fare. It will be fun. But I am going to have each of us write what we are grateful for.
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

jis4judy replied to parakeet210's response:
hi tweety
your holiday sounds great I love Mexican foods
so spicy and yummy
I would go to your house for the holiday if I could
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

foodadvenger replied to parakeet210's response:
Keet is it like lots of mexican food? Steph

abnersmom replied to parakeet210's response:
Yum, Keet. That sounds fun. I love that you write what you are grateful for as well. Love Mexican food!!!

parakeet210 replied to abnersmom's response:
Well I can indulge. in a chicken piece of mexican pizza. it's not getting crazy. its very small what we're doin and no alcohol/

Hey Judy & Debbie come on over!! hee hee..... Be prepared for our non traditional holiday cooking. We'll see at xmas time what everyone gets into.

Even tho thanksgiving is the eating day.... I never looked at it that way cuz I was never big only on turkey some gravy and some spuds mashed. no desert . I got to eat the neck of the turkey and I loved it. My parents were all about the food but it was pretty healthy... lots of fruit, veggies huge and the main course which was usally meat, chicken, fish or pork.

we could make a pi?ata of mickey mouse and stuff him with girls stuff goodies and guys stuff goodies too!

I've been trying to make a good birthday basket for gf whom I forgot yesterday! ugh
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

Spotlight: Member Stories

So glad I found this support group. I am inclined 2 b a loner and now that I'm not working it's 2 ez 2 b a recluse (& eat). Hi school days...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.