Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Don't sweat
beautifulbuffalo posted:
don't sweat. I exercise 45 minutes on either the treadmill, recumbent bike or swim and I don't sweat. If if I get hot in the summer my face gets red but I don't sweat. Could this be one reason why I have trouble losing weight. What should I do.
BB

foodadvenger responded:
hummmm,, sweating is good for you, but I think you could still get your heart rate up without sweating, it's possible. Exercise, and when you feel your heart is pounding you know your heart rate is up, you can really feel the difference, glad to see you back talking BB.

I have a thing I check my blood pressure with it has a heart rate thing on it too. If you have one of those at home. see what your heart rate is before you exercise, then see what it is soon as you finish exercising, that would give you a clue if you are getting your heart rate up when your exercising, so you a burning calories.

If I run for very long, I can tell my heart rate is up and I am out of breath! Steph

rohvannyn responded:
Steph is right, you don't have to sweat to lose weight. In fact, sweating only loses water weight so it's not really a factor at all. Sweat is just there to cool your body off. Heartrate is much more important, and if your heart is beating faster, that's good. I know they talk about target heart rates too, for aerobic exercise versus weight loss, but the main thing is to burn more calories than you take in. Avoiding foods that are easily stored as fat helps too.

I totally understand your frustration though.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

blondie454u responded:
BB,

I didn't sweat either. Now I do because I have been doing muscle strength training and I think it's because of the muscle I have built up. The other ladies are right you don't need to sweat to lose weight. Sweat release water and toxins from your body but you get the same result when you urinate. I tend have to go to the bathroom more since I don't sweat much. I went a lot more when I didn't sweat at all. It could be a sign of dehydration. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

justmejust replied to blondie454u's response:
When I recently began my higher intensity workout classes and yoga class I started sweating again like I did before I became obese. My current BMI is about 31, so I am getting close to just the overweight category. I know it sounds weird to me when I say it to myself, but I will be glad when I am in the overweight category!

Anyway, I sweat a lot at every workout now. My neck and shoulders and head drip sweat onto the floor if I don't get the hand towel. At least a couple times my arms and legs and everywhere started sweating. I love it! I have always loved working out, being active! Except when I became obese, tired, couch potato, and post hypothyroid.

However, when I first began getting active again through casual short walks, then a mile, then a little more I did not sweat, and I thought it was very strange. That beginning walking exercise period lasted about three years until this summer when I decided to join my neighborhood gym so I could get more physically motivated by aerobic and calisthenic classes, etc.

I also drink more water now that I sweat more.
Laura
Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been gaining and loosing weight most of my adult life. The diet of choice has always been weight watchers. I've lost and gained 90 lbs mo...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.