Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Eat more nuts!!
abnersmom posted:
http://www.wsmv.com/story/24026069/study-ties-nuts-to-lower-cancer-heart-death-risk
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

parakeet210 responded:
Thanks for the article Debbie. I have been using more nuts in the last few months. My parents were big nut eaters. Sometimes nuts bug me cuz they stick in my teeth. I am intolerant to raw walnuts that aren't cooked.

If you have a great way to get the remnants of nuts outta your teeth would you share?
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 254.2 GW 170

jis4judy responded:
I saw a report on TV news yesterday that nuts are very healthy I already figured that one out pistachios are probably the least calories . But I have all kinds of nuts throughout the year
Pistachios are one of the foods recommended for my eyes
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
Wow! Wow! That is astonishing. So I guess the standard amount is a fistful?
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy if you have a food scale weigh them 2 ounce in shell pistachios is = to 1 ounce out of shell I am not sure of the other nuts I think walnut shells are heavier that the nut itself

Hugs Judy

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rachael2011 responded:
Thanks for the article, Debbie.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

bigred53 replied to jis4judy's response:
You can get shelled nuts in any grocery store, roasted or unroasted. I prefer unroasted. The nutritional/calorie facts will usually say one ounce or for example an ounce of almonds is 28 of them. Most bags will say something to that affect. I love pecans but the price is getting pretty high. You can also get shelled pistachios. I like the unshelled ones because it takes me longer to eat my little pile. Nuts are very good for you but you have to be careful and not get carried away. I still have a problem doing that sometimes. Like Debbie I try not to keep chips around. Chips and dip - yum - if they're around I can't resist. Cookies - one or two will keep me for a while. As we all know Kathy has a cake fetish...lol. Now if it was Texas sheet cake I would too.

I will get a bag of chips and keep it in my car and only have a few a day. If I brought the bag into the house or work they would be down my gullett in a flash and land on my gut. And, if you don't buy it you can't eat it. Or keep it in the car or some other inconvenient place where you can't see it all the time.

Michelle

blondie454u responded:
I eat nuts everyday!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

mog1026 replied to bigred53's response:
My DH and I are going to be sure to eat our nuts. I've already had my unroasted, unsalted cashews tonight

CHIPS Michelle...in the car, Michelle?....Debbie and I would be tromping through the snow drifts at midnight to get them! LOL!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

bigred53 replied to mog1026's response:
LOL Kathy! Once I get home and take my bra off I don't go back outside so keeping chips in the car works for me. Unless there's an emergency of course.

Michelle

bigred53 replied to bigred53's response:
Me again. Just an FYI for everyone cashews and macadamias have the highest fat content of all nuts (except for some of us nuts) and pistachios have the least amount of fat though the fat it all nuts is the good kind of fat.

Michelle

P.S. I hope you all aren't getting sick of me.

jis4judy replied to bigred53's response:
Hi Michelle the real key to eating nuts is to cut other fats in your plan to make room for the healthy fats in nuts most of my fat source is nuts and avocados I use fat free dairy and limit other fats like butter... and remove skin from chicken that kind of thing .. without the nuts and avocado I would be very low on my fats intake ...
Hugs Judy

Judy, I watch my fats too most of the time. I've been 'dieting' a good part of my life and I do a lot of research. The last time I had butter was at my aunt's funeral repast (and I LOVE butter) - a couple of pats on a roll. I rarely eat bread and when I do it's usually whole grain/wheat. I rarely have milk but I do love my Lite and Fit FF Greek peach yogurt - 80 calories. Believe me I do know how to eat right but there are times I choose not to. When I cook I use EVOO or no oil at all. I have had family in town so I have eaten things I wouldn't normally have. They are back home now so things will get back to normal. There are many days that I do not eat dinner - last night was one of them. I am just not hungry. All of my most recent labs are within normal ranges with the exception of my cholesterol which is more hereditary than because of what I eat. And because I cannot take statins it is difficult to get that down. We all have struggles and roadblocks in our lives and thankfully my issues with food and overeating are getting better.

I haven't just started on this journey even though I just started posting here. I've been on this road a long time.

Michelle

jis4judy replied to bigred53's response:
Me too been doing what I call my nutrition quest it will be 11 years in april 2014
a decade of maintaining It does take a long time to get it right . if I count all the failed attempts it would be a lot longer
I like my yogurt too I buy the quart size plain fat free greek yogurt and measure it out and add fresh berries and a tad bit of honey some whole grain cereal sometimes I add chia seeds It makes a yummy supper
Hugs Judy

I'm pretty sure I'm finally getting it right. Not all of the time mind you but most of the time. As long as that nasty doctor's scale keeps going down I'll be happy. It's gone down far enough for me to get off the blood pressure med.

I've got to find some new shoes too - my favorite ones keep falling off...lol. I bought some pants in a smaller size earlier this month and I tried getting them on last night and it was real close. If I had done some lunges or something like that I probably would have been able to pull them up all the way. They came up over my tummy just fine but for some reason they didn't want to cover my behind and I really don't have much of a butt. Weird. I still felt good about it because when I first got them there was way more area that they didn't cover.

I put chia seeds in my water most days. I get them from vitacost.com. They're supposed to give you energy and they're also supposed to help lower cholesterol. I'm willing to try just about anything to lower my cholesterol...lol. If standing on my head was a solution I'd try to do that...lol. Apple cider vinegar - with the mother - is supposed to help with cholesterol, sugar control and weight loss. I need to get some more.

I don't do cereal too often because most of them raise my blood sugar too much. I do really like the Kashi Go Lean Berry Crunch and try to control myself.

Fresh berries are a bit too expencive for me most of the time. If they are $2.00 for a little plastic container I'll get some otherwise it's frozen or none. The blackberries and raspberries were exceptional this year. I will load up on apples and grapefruit a good amount of time. The strawberry fields are already planted around here and we should have locally grown ones before Christmas. I can hardly wait!! I want to sneak into my sister's back yard and pick some of her Meyer lemons - they are the best. Squeeze some on fruit or veggies and sprinkle with some Pico de gallo (chili powder) - so good. Mangos are especially good like that too. Oh no, I'm making myself hungry.

Michelle

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have always had a job that involved being at a computer..resulting in health related issues, the biggest one is my weight. I just retired (I think) ...More

Helpful Tips

Working Out
OMG I had a very hard time getting out of the bed this morning to go to the gym. I'm not a morning person, but this morning it was awful. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.