Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Problems with Protein
An_254543 posted:
Hi everyone,
I had gastric sleeve surgery in March 2012 and did fine with weight loss and protein absorbtion for the first year. However, for the past 9 months I've noticed that I'm starting to have problems with protein in any form. Whether its shakes (ready made or if I make them myself) or if it's eggs or cottage cheese, I've started experiencing dumping syndrome.

Has anyone else experienced this or do you have any thoughts/feedback for me please? Any help would be appreciated because I'm starting to get worried. On average, I'm lucky if I'm consuming 20-30 grams a day now...

Thanks for your help and feedback. Very much appreciated.

jis4judy responded:
Hi we have 1 person on here that has had weight loss surgery
her name is Pink You might ask her directly the rest of us are using the old fashioned way of trimming calories and exercising
Have you asked your Doctor about this? I would think he or she might be the best place to get the information.
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn replied to jis4judy's response:
Could it be just too much at one given time? If you have like two ounces of protein at a time, do you still have the dumping? I just ask because Pink says she can only have a quarter cup of anything at one time.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi An543
I'm wondering if it's the combinations of what you are eating. If you are going to eat a protein. Just have a plain protein. Test it with boiled or broiled, unseasoned chicken breast. Don't eat anything else with it and only the alotted number of oz you are supposed to eat. Wait at least 20 min before you have any fluids too. I know you need to drink your water, but even sipping might be giving you too much air along with the food.
Since you were able to eat proteins before, there is something that you have changed along the way that is doing this.
If it persists after trying the plain protein test a couple of times, then it's time to see your dr again and have him advise you.

huggs
k
Kim SW 253 CW 184.6 GW 135

Willpower defines Realm --- Toba Beta

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been struggling with my weight for about 15 years. I was doing well after having three kids and was on my way to losing all my baby weight. The...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
61 of 76 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.