Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Stressed
ladylavender posted:
Such a rough week. Always on the verge of tears, either from emotional pain or physical pain. Anticipating more Thursday as I work with my hand therapist. The cast is off, and I have a removable splint now, but that is because I am losing function of my hand, and I have to work on loosening up my tendons and all to get range of motion again. The Dr. worked on my hand Wednesday, trying to loosen it up in order to get the correct angle on an x-ray, and it reduced me to tears from the pain. Once I started, I couldn't stop. I know the pain is necessary if I want hand function again. Right now I can't even make a fist or move my thumb much at all. I'm just not looking forward to it, of course.

Thanks for listening.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

jis4judy responded:
Hi Abby the thing is this pain should be gone in a few weeks as you get stronger it should be less and less
I will send healing thoughts your way
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
Abby, I'm so sorry that you are having such a difficult time with your hand. But the thing is, if you don't get it more flexible now, it'll be even harder and more set up when you finally get the casts and splints off. Plus you will be weaker in that hand. I'm sure you don't want that.
If the pain is unbearable, take some pain meds a half hour before you work with your hand. Don't wait for the times the pt or dr have to do it. YOU have to work on it too, at home.
Take some meds, wait, then start working with a thick rubberband, like from the post office. String the band around the back of your thumb then around the back of the rest of your fingers. You'll end up with a "cup" made from your hand.
Stretch your thumb backwards away from the fingers. This is gonna hurt like a mother , but it will strengthen your grip and loosen your tendons. Do 5 or 6 stretches, 4 times a day.
Then as you get stronger, do that and get a raquet ball ball. and start squeezing that to work your grip even more.
Abby, it's important to take it upon yourself to get your hand back into shape. Take the drugs as needed, before and after workouts to get around the pain. It's not an embarrassment to have to take meds to deal with pain if you are reduced to tears from it. Even if it's just Tylenol, if it helps, use it for the time being.

huggs
k
Kim SW 253 CW 184.6 GW 135

Willpower defines Realm --- Toba Beta

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

rachael2011 responded:
Abby, I am sorry about the pain you are going through; I agree though that you need to work it and it will get easier. Take care. Hugs. Rachael
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 281.6 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

parakeet210 replied to rachael2011's response:
Hi Abby. I'm sorry you're having a rough go. I had a major hand surgery a few years back and oiiiievay.... yup its tu'ff.
I'm sending you good vibes and prayers to be able to do what you need to do. Take care.
keet
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 264.0. GW. 170

ausgram responded:
Abby, is this carpalle Tunnel operation? If it is, you will get better. My daughter had both her hands operated on, it took the pain she was having before the operation away and after it all got healed after the operation, she is happy she had it done. So hang in there. You can do it.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -185; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

ladylavender replied to ausgram's response:
Thank you, everyone. I know I have to do it, and 90% of the work is what I do at home. Aus, this is the broken wrist that happened 9/25, a very bad break with a bit of a shortened and deformed forearm now. Eventually will need a wrist replacement, but for now just waiting for fusion of all the bone fragments and the bone in which the ends are side by side not end-to-end as would normally be. Still no lifting, pulling, pushing or twisting - couldn't if I wanted to. Headed to OT shortly.

Down 30 # now and trying to keep going in that direction but had some meltdowns this week.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

mog1026 replied to ladylavender's response:
So sorry Abby for all the pain I never imagined the break was that bad. Hang in there and 30 lbs is a GREAT accomplishment!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 207.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

ladylavender replied to mog1026's response:
Thank you, thankyouverymuch! (replying in my best Elvis imitation)

-Abby

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have lost over 100 lbs 2 times in my adult life. I was thin as a child. Due to some major surgeries when I was a young teen and the inability to be ...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 26 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.