Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need help and support
laurenr84 posted:
Hi everyone! I've never done anything like this, let alone asked people whom I've never know for help. I'm 29, will be 30 in June, 5'8 and weigh 246lbs. I've been heavy for most of my life and have struggled with it the whole time. It has really been a part of my depression along with my self-esteem. I know I wont lose 60lbs over night, but I can't imagin killing myself for a year to get where I want to be...I'm not very motivated at this point in my life for some reason. Anyways, I'm looking for support, tips, quick fixes...anything to help me get started at a fast pace I guess. I don't have a lot of money as I am a single mother of a 3yr old and currently going to school. My daughter is the biggest reason for doing this...I want to be able to keep up with her all day and not feel so tired all the time. I appreciate any and all advice. Thank you

jis4judy responded:
Hi Lauren
welcome aboard we don't recommend diets or any quick fixes the thing to consider is eating health and good for your body foods and exercise regularly as a life style change
make a plan you can live with for life that way you are not depriving your self just limiting what you choose to eat . What you need to do is look closely at your eating habits and make the needed changes this way you will maintain the weight removal automatically
just continue to eat healthy paying attention to portions and nutrition
we have a few success stories posting here that are doing this life style change it works I did it myself I have been maintaining over 10 years
I am hoping you keep posting an d become one of the success stories too /
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

parakeet210 replied to jis4judy's response:
Welcome. I echo Judys advice.
keet
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 264.0. GW. 170

totallywiggedout responded:
lauren, welcome aboard.
Sometimes healthier foods do cost a bit more. Initially, you will probably feel like you're pinching your pennies.
The thing I want to point out is, as a busy single mother and student, I'd bet dollars to donuts that you eat fast food and/or either frozen or boxed dinners a lot of the time. They are fast, easy, cheap and you presume them to be at least semi nutritious.
Unfortunately, in the long run, they are none of these things.
Boxed, frozen or fast foods have so many additives, fats, sodium, sugars ... that they lack much of anything healthy. Not enough veggies, not near enough actual protein, very little dairy..... just crap... and way too much of it since they always have larger portions than what is the suggested serving size.

Here are our links to this community's recipes and exercises discussions. They are "interior" discussions, meaning that they are from OUR members here , and have been tried out and deemed good enough to share with our friends. The exercises work for anyone, and the recipes are nutritious, easy and most take no time at all to prepare..from scratch, so you know what's in them and what you are feeding yourself and your child is good stuff.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2523

http://forums.webmd.com/3/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/forum/2753

hope these give you some ideas on how to start and stay with your journey.

huggs
kim
Kim SW 253 CW 184.6 GW 135

Willpower defines Realm --- Toba Beta

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

abnersmom responded:
Welcome, Lauren! Everyone has already given you good advice. I would just emphasize that there is no quick fix. This is a lifetime commitment to eating healthy, exercising and mindfully eating each day. We all slip from time to time on our journeys, but never give up and throw in the towel. Every day is a fresh start for us all. I've been indulging in foods that i don't usually eat lately at holiday festivities. I don't remember struggling as much with this last year or the year before - maybe I'm more popular this year LOL! Anyway, I'm not kicking myself, because I know that I still have more healthy eating days than bad. Hoping to get through the holidays with only a slight gain and then am committed to removing that after Christmas.

Join on journey; we will support you and look forward to your input as well!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard! You can't do this over night or in a few months. It is a life time commitment. You will have to eat and be healthy for life to lose the weight and keep it off. I lost 120lbs and it took me 2 and half years to do it. I have been maintaining since 2010. Yes I have slips but I get right back on track. I too was a single mom during some of my journey. There are 4 people in my family now. We are on a very tight budget. We pinch pennies in order to continue our healthy lifestyle. It's way better then paying doctors and hospitals thousands of dollars I don't have. It's better to pay little now than to pay a lot later. Nothing in life is easy. If being healthy was easy everyone would do it. Someone on here posted something similar to this: Be skinny is hard, being fat is hard, choose your hard. You probably don't realize both scenarios are hard. It takes dedication and motivation to keep being healthy. Being overweight is tiresome. You have no energy. You eventually live on meds. Constantly seeing doctors. Can't keep up with family events. I've heard people say it must be nice to be skinny! Yes it is but for a price! I wake up at 5am to run. I have to be at work at 8am. I go to the gym on my lunch hour. If I miss a day, I do it on the weekends. I plan my lunch and dinners weekly. I cook myself breakfast every morning. I don't watch tv at all except the occasional weekend to watch a movie. I hope I don't sound too harsh. I am the type just to say it like it is. Has my husband says I have no filter LOL. I am willing to help you along your journey. You can't do this alone. These wonderful people on this board help me on a daily basis.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

laurenr84 replied to blondie454u's response:
Wow, I'm really surprised at all the responses I recieved, but I believe yours hit me the most! Thank you for sharing some of your story. Yes, you tell it like it is, but I too am the same way! LOL sugar coating things just doesnt get the point across! I am going to my doctor today to see if I can start some sort of dieting plan to get me on my way, as I have no idea what I'm doing or where to start. I know that it hurts to exercise because of my extra weight and my back injury so I believe I need to start eating less and better choices as to try to lose as much as I can that way to begin, then maybe I can start a more intense workout! Again I thank everyone for the great advise and support, I will need a lot of it I think!

blondie454u replied to laurenr84's response:
Just remember the key to a good healthy diet is eating whole natural foods. Remember if it comes in box or container and says "natural" it's probably not. Read ingredients. If you don't what an ingredient is then don't buy it. Less ingredients is better. Fresh or frozen veggies and fruits with no additives. Eat lean meats such as pork, chicken, and fish. I don't eat beef and I rarely eat pork. I am working on being a vegetarian. What these farm factories do to meat is disgusting and horrible. I buy organic chicken and turkey but they too use it as a marketing tool so I still don't know what I am getting. When you buy fish make sure you're buying wild caught and not farmed raised. Try to buy as much as organic as you can. I know it can get expensive but it's worth it. Buy from local farmers if possible. I buy organic milk and yogurt and buy most of my fresh fruits and veggies organic. When buying bread make sure you buy whole grain. Make sure the first ingredient is 100% whole wheat flour. I buy ezekiel bread. It's in the frozen section usually. I buy organic PB as well. I buy my eggs from a local farmer. I am on the hunt to buy meat from a local farmer but I new to this area and I don't know who to buy from so I am working on that. I buy whole grain pasta. I am sure I will think of more as you go along but just ask anything all of us can answer any question you have.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was always skinny. Worked hard at it. Then 20 years ago, i met my husband. I've put on 70 lbs since then. I've tried different diets. I real...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.