Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Link about quality of life thru food choices
    jis4judy posted:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/21/us-better-diet-idUSBRE9AK1C120131121

I found this interesting
    Hugs Judy
    SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
    life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

totallywiggedout responded:
    That's a good article Judy. As I read it, I thought about my grandparents and how they ate in their later years. By far, you have a better diet style than I remember any of them eating , even before they had hit their 70s. Cripes, I can remember my maternal grandfather eating bread and milk with sugar, like cereal....for dinner. Because that's what they ate to survive during the depression and he just grew to like it. But 4 slices of white bread, sugar and whole milk, obviously has its drawbacks.
    I think your generation is perhaps only the first or possibly the second one that has had the knowledge of and access to a healthier lifestyle. Prior to that, ALL pasta was white and whole grain or brown rice wasn't readily available. White bread, can anyone say WONDER(?), was the bread of choice once it came out because it was the first to hit the market and BE marketed as "healthy" because of it's added vitamins. But it was still white bread.

People know more now about why we need to eat this and not that. They also know that just because it's advertised as "healthy" , it's ok to question it and not just follow blindly along with sheeplike faith.
    Noone in my grandparent's generation would ever even think about questioning what the government passed as healthy food choices. Now, we are mostly all aware that there are recalls almost as soon as the first person gets sick... anywhere in the world. We are looking at things more skeptically and becoming AWARE of what we put into our bodies. It is our choice, it always has been. But with more information available, there's more power in our consumerism.

thanks for sharing that article, Judy.

huggs
    k
    Kim SW 253 CW 192.2 GW 135

Willpower defines Realm --- Toba Beta

You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

abnersmom responded:
    Very interesting, Judy. I want to do everything I can to be mentally and physically active as I age. This article reinforces the importance of a healthy diet. Thanks.
    Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

jis4judy replied to abnersmom's response:
    Yes Debbie I think it is supporting our discoveries on this board . we know we feel better when we eat healthy and move more . so a study confirms it ..
    Hugs Judy
    SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
    life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

Spotlight: Member Stories

(Wow, could have sworn I saved my story already.) Here goes...I'll be 49 later this year (2013), and I've been overweight since about age 7 or...More

Helpful Tips

Eating potato salad without feeling guilty
    The other night I bought a container of potato salad for dinner and instead of having a big pile of it on my plate, I filled half of my ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.