Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
150+ To Lose...Daunting, but not impossible
msvenom2014 posted:
So, despite the New Years cliché's aplenty, I had a bit of a realization in regards to my weight and the level it had spiraled out of control. Yes, I always knew I was overweight and excessively so, but it took dress shopping for something to wear for the holidays that really made me come face to face with my uphill battle.

My boyfriend took me to a nice store where I always find pretty things, but many of which I struggle to even find close to my size. I found this stunning dress that I loved, and yet it only went to a size 16. So, I settled for a nice, comfy feeling dress that was also pretty and went to try it on.

That damn set of mirrors killed it for me. Every angle just looked bad and shapeless. A year ago, I at least was a bit more shapely and had a defined waist. After a stressful year of financial struggles, emotional eating and the occasional binge, I had easily packed on a good 50 lbs on top of my already excessive weight.

I am now 315, the worst I've ever gotten. Although I don't focus as much on the number, I do want to touch base with it time to time to be able to have another measure of progress over time. I say this, because I'm ready to make the changes I need do.

I struggle with poor circulation, constant back and leg pain and a myriad of other health issues that can mainly be linked to my poor care of self. I'm tired of being winded and sore and swollen. I miss having my high heels and feeling sexy in whatever I wear. Right now, I feel like a worn tire.

So, rather than slate it as something to mark as a resolution, I see it as a lifestyle change that has to happen NOW.

I'll be honest: I'm overwhelmed, intimidated and hoping that I don't buckle as I've done dozens of times before. The end goal seems so lofty, but if I remember to take baby steps more than seeing it as a huge leap, I'll fare better in the end.

So, your support is welcome and appreciated. I'm glad to have found this forum full of people who can relate to my journey and inspire me along the way.

jis4judy responded:
Hi MS welcome aboard this board is kinda slow because of the holidays . But we are al in this together and a we all know our nasty eating habits rarely go away but rather hide in the back of our minds waiting for a weak moment
It is best to plan every meal ahead and eat a rainbow of fruits and vegies lean meats nuts in moderation fat free dairy whole grains .
You might start by looking at what you buy and change some of those purchases to healthy choices
and don;t buy anything that screams diet those things in packages are just poison posing as food ..
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard! You've come to the right the place! Judy has given you some great advice. You also have to have daily motivation to keep doing this. Motivation is like bathing you need it daily. Stick around and read our post you'll get lots of help and ideas. Merry Christmas!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

msvenom2014 replied to jis4judy's response:
Thank you, Judy. I appreciate the warm welcome and great advice. I certainly love that I've finally found an appropriate resource with people that can relate!

msvenom2014 replied to blondie454u's response:
Thanks Amber! Merry Christmas to you too!

justmejust responded:
Glad you are here. Never give up. Do it in small goals, 5 pounds at a time. Listen to Judy and Amber. They reached their goals and impart success strategies that worked!
Laura
Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

ausgram responded:
Welcome MS. Judy is right, this board is very slow right now, but it will pick up.
Amber got a good, no excellent point: Motivation is like bathing, you need it every day. Not only that but you need to do like Rachael said to: NEVER give up. I have been trying to watch my weight for many a year. You can't just let it go or you will keep gaining, get sick and suffer the consequences for it. I seen my friend get so big he got diabetes and had a toe cut off, a leg up to his knee cut off and finally it got him and he died. That's a bad bad disease and it mainly comes from being overweight. So come on and join in our group and lose that weight. YOU CAN DO IT!!
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -185; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

justmejust replied to msvenom2014's response:
Stick to whole one ingredient foods from nature like an orange, a walnut, a red pepper, leaves of fresh spinach, whole rolled oats, brown rice, canned plain black or red beans, etc. These foods are healing, they fill you up, they make cravings go away, they make our body healthy, and they make us feel better, they take away cravings for unhealthy 'food', which isn't really food because it harms our bodies instead of sustaining our health and natural healthy state.choose foods that come directly from the earth naturally. Also choose lean meats and fish like salmon, chicken, beef, egg, plain or Greek yogurt, skim or reduced fat milk for calcium.
Laura
Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

Spotlight: Member Stories

im 20 and at 215! i was 120 only a few years ago, i feel like i cant lose weight i dont even know how i let myself get so big i just want to stop bein...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.