Skip to content
Hey All!
thelovelyjd posted:
Hi Group,

I've got a lot more than 50-100 lbs to lose, but the word on the dieting community street is that this is the most happening (and supportive/encouraging) group on the interwebs.

Not to be redundant... but here is my introduction from the other group (100+ lbs to lose).

I'm sure there are/will be lots of newcomers to the boards with resolutions and such still going strong. I've been somewhat successful in weight loss in the past (lost around 85 lbs in just over 6 months) but gained it all back after some emotional/life setbacks.

I'm currently the heaviest I've ever been, and since I'm also the oldest I've ever been, it is really affecting my life. I've always been big, but this is just ridiculous and I know it.

I'm an attorney and have a full time non-legal job as well. I work all the time and as such, I ate out a lot. By the time I get home in the evenings I was too tired to care about what I was eating. My crazy schedule also led to a lot of late nights, early mornings, and little sleep. I've committed to changing all of that in the future. I can't make any money at all if I'm dead. I also felt like I had earned some hard living... I graduated recently, became licensed, and started to practice on my own. I rewarded myself with cookies and ice cream like I was a dog learning new tricks.

So, that being said, I'm around 400 pounds at the moment. I was around 375 when I started my prior weight loss experience and ended up around 285. I was quite happy at 285, but realizing that number is 115 pounds away is a cruel realization.

My initial goal is to get to 345 in the next five months. To up the ante and increase motivation, I've purchased a gift certificate for two float-tank sessions (the tanks have a 350 weight limit) intended to help reduce stress and detox a bit.

I broke my leg and tore my knee up about 7 months ago, so physical activities are still really, really rough. I'm starting very small-- parking further away, taking one flight of stairs, walking around the building at lunch, and doing water aerobics once a week. I also plan to go to a few Zumba classes and my goal is to complete at least 25 minutes of the class in the first two weeks. Baby steps. I know that my knee/leg can't take a full hour of Zumba yet, but hopefully soon.

Anyways.... that is me. Glad to be here... would love to meet others starting on their journey.

kalimiller responded:
Welcome!! This community is more active than the 100 group - and we welcome everyone here.

Probably one of the most important things to do when trying to lose weight is eating better.

You don't have to start changing everything right away. And if you do, you are likely to fail. Just tough love there.

Take a week or so and determine what your eating is like. Do you eat out once a week? Three times? Everyday? Do you eat any fruits and veggies? Do you drink a lot of soda? Tons of creamer in your coffee?

Once you know what your eating habits are like, you can try and adjust to be healthier. Eat out once or twice less a week. Make better eating out choices. Get grilled chicken rather than fried. Add an apple and carrot sticks to your lunch. They are fast and no prep required (other than washing them). Start with small changes.
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 186

jis4judy responded:
Hi JD
welcome aboard Like Kali said getting the food right is 90% of the weight loss journey as you remove weight you might feel better about moving more less strain on the body when the weight drops

I agree that looking closely at your eating habits and making changes you can live with for life because that what it will take if you want to maintain at your goal weight .. It is also better to
focus on losing 5 or 10 pounds at a time, it is too discouraging to look at 100 pounds or more as your goal . just make the 5 pound goals reach it then make another 5 pound goal they all add up in the end

I am not just starting I am in the process of maintaining
been maintaining almost 11 Years
It is a life style change that is needed to remove weight and be healthier
I just had a great thought since you are a lawyer you can argue with your self when you are having a slip . I call it self talk but you may have the opportunity to argue a good case for your health
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Welcome aboard! Start with food, that's the best way to get started. Eat real foods. No boxed or canned stuff.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

rachael2011 responded:
Hi. By your post, you sound really busy! I think planning your food may be a good place to start for you. Make a menu for yourself and buy some quick, healthy foods for yourself so you aren't tempted by the poor choices when you come home after a lung day. Precook and wrap up some chicken breasts so when you come home you only need to microwave them. When you are cutting uo salad stuff for yourself, cut up some extra baggies of the veggies so you can just grab them the next time. Hard boil some eggs and maybe have some cottage cheese/ yogurts on hand. Know what you are going to have when you get home.

I have a lot to lose too (over 125lbs) and for me planning makes the difference between what I consider a good nutrition day and a bad one a lot of the time.

Good luck and welcome!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 285.2 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

mefirstforever responded:
Welcome,
You certainly have a lot of ambition with all that exercise. That said, I think that the body need to adjust to all the new activities and it takes time. Variety is the best and you seem to have it. It keeps the body guessing.

About New tricks, you should clean out the house of all I mean all the cookies Ice cream, candies, chips and all that is not part of your new healthy life style. You have to change your eating habits, and fresh products no processed food as much as possible. This will give you new energy to do all that exercice.

New rewards, a good book or a movie would be nice.

My daughter is also an attorney and she has this crazy life. To avoid gaining weight she has a strict rule. Fish 3 times week meat 2 times a week and one day a week no meat.
She also goes to exercises classes and jogs. You must nourish this body properly in order to be able to live this hectic life style.

I'm glad you are part of this group; there is always someone to talk to or to vent.
H
Helene GW 140 CW 198.6 SW 224
Every day is a gift do your best, be kind especially to yourself and smile.

abnersmom responded:
Welcome! I'm with Amber - start with food- log everything you eat and drink somewhere (online or in a diary). Best way to open your eyes to what you are consuming - at least it is for me!!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

thelovelyjd replied to jis4judy's response:
Thank you for the advice! I have taken a very close look at my eating habits which are great during the day and then get terrible after 5:00 pm. I am focusing on planning for the evenings!

I definitely argue with myself all the time. My office mate thinks I'm crazy half the time.

thelovelyjd replied to rachael2011's response:
Busy is my middle name, but I'm hoping to use the busy to my advantage.

I started by buying a small refrigerator for my office. It is much easier now to prepare foods that require refrigeration rather than opting for the more tempting processed items.

Excellent suggestions on the foods... Sadly, I have a sensitivity to eggs and dairy products. I'm learning to enjoy the coconut milk based yogurts, but eggs are a definite no-no for me.

Thanks again for the wisdom and welcome!

kalimiller replied to thelovelyjd's response:
Eggs were suggested becuase they have high protein content and can keep you fuller longer.

You could try peanut butter with apples or celery sticks.

I would suggest cheese as another option for snacks, but no dairy.

Anyways, point it, go for snacks/foods that have protein in them. They keep you fuller longer. That's why when you eat a bag of chips you feel hungry again 5, 10 minutes later
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 186

rohvannyn replied to kalimiller's response:
Lean meat is another possibility. Chicken breast, lean pork if you like it, jerky (be careful of the salt), fish. Also nuts.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

ausgram replied to abnersmom's response:
I'm with these 2 girls too. I have to log in my food or I keep eating. Once I see I've reached or get close my calorie limit I am very careful of what I eat after that.
Be consistent is the key too. If you start letting down a few days, you will say, "Oh the heck with this." then you won't lose for sure. This is a never ending watch. So be aware.
We are here for you. All these regular girls that come here very often always have something to help you along. So come join our group of encouragers.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -185; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

mog1026 replied to ausgram's response:
Very glad to have you here JD! It's nice to hear we have some street cred . Losing/gaining/ losing again can be a lonely and difficult process and the support here is a wonderful thing.
Kathy SW 235.1 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

abnersmom replied to mog1026's response:
"Street cred" Kathy, you crack me up sometimes! Right on, or whatever you hipsters are saying these days. LOL!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

shelsangel replied to kalimiller's response:
Welcome aboard. You will find that the ladies on here have a lot of helpfull information. All you have to do is ask a question and one of them will know the answer or will find it for you. Enjoy HUGGS Jean
Everything happens for a reason. HUGGS, Jean
SW 301.2 CW 282.0 GW 165 could change after I reach it :-)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well lets see, i am 38 years old and at my heaaviest i was 284. I have struggles with weight since i was 6. well i didnt try to lose weight then but i...More

Helpful Tips

Getting the most out of oatmeal
As an oatmeal fan, I was surprised to find that instant oatmeal didn't stick with me the way rolled oats did. When I switched back to ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.