Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Water fight!
rohvannyn posted:
Maybe this will give some of you a laugh. It's a surprisingly intense discussion about... when to drink water.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/food-and-cooking-exchange/tip/80/6

Personally, I say drink as much as you like just make sure you aren't drowning, and it's clean!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

mog1026 responded:
I bet some of those folks in West Virginia would like some of that water and they wouldn't care when they drank it! These are funny posts
Kathy SW 235.1 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

rohvannyn replied to mog1026's response:
So true!

I just didn't get why there was not just one person, but several people in that community that were absolutely convinced that not drinking water during a meal was a really, really good idea and essential to health. Maybe too much water would dilute the stomach acid? That's the only thing I can think of.

I still think that drinking as much water as you want, whenever you want, is absolutely fine. Am I missing something here? Or is it perhaps cultural? The folks who were advocating that seemed to have English as a second language.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

jis4judy replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hi Roh when I was a kid it was forbidden to drink anything with meals I believe this was done so we children wouldn;t fill up on liquids and not eat the dinner .. I was a skinny kid back then and they were trying to get me to eat more ..
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn replied to jis4judy's response:
Ah! Well, these days most of us would do quite well to fill up on liquids, so that makes sense. When you were younger, weren't people rather in love with fattening kids up? Like the Gerber baby and all that? These days parents would be proud to have skinny kids!
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

ladylavender responded:
Hey, Roh. I was taught to be careful about drinking during meals because liquid is absorbed first before food is digested, and if we drink a lot during a meal, the food is just sitting in the stomach, which isn't as healthy. I am not always successful, but that was what I was taught. Hope this helps.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

rohvannyn replied to ladylavender's response:
Well, hey! That's good to think about too. What was bugging me about the other thread is that people were being very dogmatic withouit giving any reasons whatsoever for their opinions.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

parakeet210 replied to rohvannyn's response:
I have been known to drink to much water.. My doctor lets me drink 60 oz per day but no more. The reason is actually from kaiser permanente ...their stance is along with my docs is that u can pee out electrolites and essential things the body needs if u flush out w to much water
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 264.0. GW. 170 CW 255.4

ladylavender replied to parakeet210's response:
An easy way to tell if you are getting enough water is by the color of your urine. It should be very pale.

If you are exercising and if you are overweight, IMHO, I would be leery of that 60-oz. advice, unless there are other health issues they may be addressing. Our bodies are mostly water (what, 60-something%?), and our brains especially need water to work properly, not to mention our other organs and to help the consistency of the blood flow itself. When we don't get enough water, one result is blood cells moving more sluggishly throughout the whole vascular system and having a harder time moving through the small capillaries or compromised vasculature due to a buildup of plaque inside blood vessels. Just sayin'

Gotta run...headed to surgeon's office for yet another pair of x-rays of my wrist.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

parakeet210 replied to ladylavender's response:
Heya Abby,

I probably drink more thann 60 oz. cuz of my dry mouth due to
meds I take. I'm not sure if ur saying to drink more or less??
Hope the xrays turn out ok
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 264.0. GW. 170 CW 255.4

ladylavender replied to parakeet210's response:
LOL - more, definitely more. I will start a new thread for my update. Sigh.

-Abby

rohvannyn replied to ladylavender's response:
The best guideline I've heard so far is about an ounce of water per two pounds of body weight. I don't know how accurate it is but it's esasy to remember as a guideline.
Roh

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

ladylavender replied to rohvannyn's response:
I think I have heard that, too.

-Abby

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 15 years old and currently 190 lbs. I am 5 feet 2 inches and I know that in order for me to be in a healthy weight range I have to lose 60 pounds...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.