Skip to content
Update
ladylavender posted:
I am home from wrist surgery, but the pain meds leave me slightly woozy and also very sleepy.

There is a rod now going from above my wrist all the way to part of my middle finger with about 8 screws. Kinda neat they gave me small x-ray pics to take home. I have a temporary pain pump (nerve block) and also pain pills, which are helping...long road...one day at a time. My spirits are good, proof to me that people are praying for me.

I will check back later...
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

parakeet210 responded:
hey abby,
sure glad you'r e hang in in there!! That sounds extremely painful. Glad you have the nerve block.

Good to see you here. Thanks for checking in!
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 264.0. GW. 170 CW 255.4

rachael2011 responded:
Thanks for checking in and am glad your spirits are good. . I have been thinking about you. Will continue prayers. Take care.
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 285.2 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

mog1026 replied to rachael2011's response:
Bless you Abby! xxoo (( ))
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 216.4. GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

abnersmom responded:
Praying for quick healing Abby. Keep us posted on your progress. Hugs!
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

ladylavender replied to abnersmom's response:
Thank you, everyone! Last week I thought the surgery was going to be cancelled because I had to come up with $350 up front, but within a matter of HOURS, a church family member stopped by and handed me the cash for that plus enough to pay my utility bill. It was a clear indication to me that God is with me in all this, and He wanted me to go forward with the surgery. I spoke about my quandary with only 1 member from church, but she quickly got some generous donor(s) to help her help me. It was anonymous, so I don't know how many helped. I just believe it was a "God thing."

Life will get pretty interesting over the next few months as far as figuring out financial situation, possible career change, loss of employment, etc., but that gesture to get me to surgery really helped calm my fears about all the uncertainty.

The surgeon slotted 2 hrs for the surgery, but it only took 1, and he was pleased with how it went. I see him next Friday and will find out more. Was a bit disappointed he didn't see me before discharge, but he did speak with my friend who relayed his brief comments. He did 2 carpal tunnel releases, shaved off some bone that was causing the angulation, and did the rod. I was not expecting my middle finger to be involved with the rod, but such is life. I will have partial function of that, I think, because it doesn't involve all the joints in that finger.

The nerve block med is gone now, and, per instructions, I removed the tiny (fishing wire sized) catheter by my clavicle and put a Band-Aid on, and now I just have the Percocet. I am also glad I have elbow function. Right now my forearm/hand are heavily wrapped in a splint and I have a sling, but will get a cast, probably when I go in next Friday. I can only see the tip of my middle finger, it so heavily wrapped, LOL.

The frustrating part is that, in essence, I am starting over regarding this injury as far as needing to wear a cast and regaining finger function. Grr.

Enough about all that for now.

Hugs to everyone!!
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

blondie454u replied to ladylavender's response:
Amen! God is AWESOME! I am glad you healing well. I will keep you in my prayers.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

ladylavender replied to blondie454u's response:
Thank you, Amber. I had my first followup appointment and found out the rod does NOT go through part of my middle finger but ends before the knuckle - what a relief! The x-ray pics are deceiving to the untrained eye, LOL.Also, I am in a removable splint now and not a cast - Woo-hoo! I am not supposed to remove it for at least 2 weeks, but still I am relieved. Re-starting hand therapy next week. I will be taking a pain pill before those, ha! Right now I haven't needed them since the first few days post surgery.

AND I am down 3 more lbs. I am finally past the little plateau I was on. I know I won't stay on a soup kick after winter, but, right now, preparing simple veggie soups, varying the ingredients, is working for me and manageable while I only have the use of 1 hand, with a little help from my neighbor or other friends to cut up stuff and open an occasional can for me.

I have been praying for wisdom regarding many things lately, including direction of career and am slowly making some decisions. God is good.

Thanks for listening!

-Abby

blondie454u replied to ladylavender's response:
Again Amen! Praise God for your healing and great friends.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am married to a great guy, my soul mate I believe. I am the mother to three adult children and three stepchildren. We all lived in the same house at...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar: All you need to know
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-kirkpatrick-ms-rd-ld/dangers-of-sugar_b_3658061.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.