Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hello, I am new!
blasche81 posted:
Hello,

My name is Nicole and I live in Germany. I am desperate to lose weight and regain my life. At 125kg I am very obese. I have been ignoring my health problems for a long time. However, I am finding doing everyday activities a struggle. Just walking up the stairs is difficult.

I own every diet book available but I just cannot stick to any for longer than a week. I don't enjoy exercising either. I recognise you have to help your self, I just cannot motivate myself.

Any help is appreciated!

blondie454u responded:
Hello! Welcome aboard. You have to keep in mind this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. About 80% is diet and 20% is exercise. You need to focus on your eating habits first. Stay away from process foods. Trigger foods throw away and don't buy any more. Eat whole foods. Make 1 to 2 changes at a time.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

rachael2011 responded:
I just wanted to add my "welcome". I agree that by starting with just a few changes at once, you will make great strides. Rachael
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 285.2 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

jis4judy responded:
Hi Nicole welcome aboard
diets only work when you stay on them better to make changes to your eating habits you are willing to keep
if you eat well most of the time and slip up occasionally I plan my slips
Like Amber said keep to the healthy eating 80% at least of the time it will be easier to maintain as you attain the projected goal weight
Join in on any discussion we love having newbies
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

bigred53 replied to jis4judy's response:
Hi Nicole!! Welcome aboard! Just curious but are your from Germany or originally from the U.S. I wondered mainly because I have no idea how grocery stores are arranged in Europe. Here almost every grocery store is arranged in a similar way - all of the best, natural foods are on the perimeter of the store - fruits and vegetables on one side, meats and dairy products in the back and some cheeses and lunch meats (hotdogs and such) on the oposite side from the fruits and veggies. Somewhere in the middle aisles will be bread, cereal, canned fruit, veggies, soups and juice. Stay out of the middle aisles as much as possible. The store where I shop has the candy one side of an aisle and the bottled water on the other side - I try not to look at the candy...lol. Try to tell yourself that convenience foods are a no-no.

I don't cook very often anymore so my staples for work are fat free Greek yogurt, apples, celery, canned chicken, almonds and pistachios. Occasionally I will get some Kashi brand cereal but I try to limit how much of that I eat as I am Type 2 diabetic.

I have lost over 100 pounds in the last eight years. I'm not in a race but I keep learning about myself and things/emotions that trigger my overeating. I probably still have about 80 pounds to go. Heck if I ever get under 200 pounds I will be very, very happy. Occasionally I will have what I call a 'freakout' and go on a binge. I will get rid of the leftovers. Chips of all kinds call my name and I try very hard not to give into their siren call and buy them.

The most important thing IMO is to be sensible - don't try to starve yourself. Learn to know if you are really hungry or not. Drink plenty of water. Talk to yourself.

None of us are perfect and we all have our good days and our bad days but we all keep trying to be as healthy as we can. You don't have to give up everything all of the time. I still occasionally have a non-diet soda - Pepsi is my favorite - maybe once or twice a month. I wish somebody would make sugar-free and fat free vanilla coffee creamer...lol.

You can do this!!! As long as you keep coming here we will offer advice and a shoulder to cry on if you're having a bad day. We will also give you a swift kick in the butt if we feel you need it but it will be done with love

Michelle

blasche81 replied to bigred53's response:
Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies! It is inspiring to hear from real people with problems like mine. It seems I am bombarded by so many products and spin doctors promising a quick cure. I have to admit I have wasted a lot of money on these things over the years. But what they all fail to do is to help you with your underlying psychological problems such as depression and anxiety.

I come from Australia and I have very recently moved to Germany to be closer to my husband's family. I have a 5 year old daughter who speaks fluent German. However, I am a work in progress! Its amazing how quickly children learn.

Having suffered from clinical depression for many years, I understand how difficult it can be to do the simplest tasks. I have finally reconciled myself to the fact I will always need medication like water. I feel it is time to commit myself to making a change. I just don't know how.

I just had an appointment with a biatric surgeon to discuss stomach bypass surgery. He said I have a bmi of 40 which makes me a suitable candidate however, I have to get approval from the psychologist first. I did not get approved. The doctor said I was depressed. I was devastated! Why does depression mean you are not suitable???

I have tried Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig too. I just found them too expensive and did not give you the one on one help I needed.

Thank you!

abnersmom replied to blasche81's response:
Welcome! If you can make some small changes in your food intake (something that you can live with, but that will make an impact on calorie intake, for example, giving up chips for me) and get some success with that. It might help you to stay motivated. Too many changes too soon is overwhelming in my opinion.

Good luck.
Debbie SW 265 CW 150 maintaining - You only live once, so live right. Healthy. Fit. Be active.

bigred53 replied to blasche81's response:
Blasche, take it on step at a time, one day at a time. Don't worry about being perfect, just do the best you can.

I have been clinically depressed in the past so I know how difficult it can be to try to get out of the pit and back into the light. I still have a tendency towards being depressed but not as bad as I was. I do take a small dose of an antidepressant daily which helps to maintain my focus. I also take a tranquilized when needed.

My recommendation is to get the junk food out of your home and don't buy any more. Your sweet daughter may want some but she certainly doesn't need it and learning healthy eating habits while she is young will only be to her benefit in the future.

Talk to your husband and ask him to help you with your quest/journey to a healthier lifestyle. Ask him to take a walk with you in the evenings unless it is too cold. Sometimes our biggest obsticles can be family members - mine have been on occasion.

Don't make too many changes all at once. Don't expect to lose a lot of weight quickly. As I said earlier I have steadily lost a bit over 100 pounds in the last eight years. As a result I've been able to get off the blood pressure medication and as a diabetic my blood suger is in better control than ever and I am hoping to be able to get to a lower dose of medication for that.

Start with adding more vegetables to your diet except for the starchy ones. Watch out for the 'white' stuff - bread, rice, pasta and the good old potatoes. Use a smaller plate/bowl for your meals. Mentally divide your plate into quarters - 1/4 for meat/protein, 1/4 for a starch and 1/2 for a green vegetable such as broccoli, spinach, kale. If you feel you need it add a small dinner salad but be careful with the dressing.

IMO one of the most important things you can do is to keep coming back here daily - to get ideas and encouragement. To be able to voice your fears and frustrations and even your stumbles and your victories. We are all going through the same thing, even the maintainers. We are all works in progress and trying to changes ourselves for the better.

Keep trying!!! We are here to support you!!!

Michelle

ladylavender replied to bigred53's response:
There is wonderful advice here. I, too, have battled depression most of my life and meds plus lifestyle changes help me. Motivation is a huge hurdle when depressed, and I am just speculating but that could be a reason bariatric surgery was denied, but that's okay. I hope that doesn't discourage you but instead use it to keep looking at lifestyle changes...and like others have said, keep coming back. This is a great group who freely give encouragement and excellent tips.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 50 something ;) and although I have been struggling with my weight most of my life, the past couple of years have been really bad. I had to ha...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.