Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sick and what to eat
beautifulbuffalo posted:
I have been sick for 6 days. I can't eat and when I try to drink I get nauseated. I'm feeling a little better today but feeling wiped out. I go see the Dr. tomorrow. I feel now is a good time to get my diet back on track. What foods can I start out with that won't make me throw up. I'm going to get out for a little while as I haven't been out of the house for 6 days. Thought I would go to the gym and do a little exercising slowly. Any advice out there.
BB Jayne

totallywiggedout responded:
BB, I strongly suggest that you either skip the gym or just do some light stretching. The fact that you haven't had much to eat or drink for the last week won't help you have a decent workout. You'll end up burning muscle since your body has no food calories to burn.
Get back into having light stuff on your stomach first. Nutrition is more important than exercise when you are or have been sick.
Just like in the hospital. If you have been ill, start out with clear liquids. Broths, jello, water, light juices and 7up, for a full day, just to see how your stomach can handle it.
The second day, work in some dry toast, or oatmeal, without fats like butter or milk. Scrambled eggs for lunch and maybe some crackers with all fruit preserves... just a few. Dinner, tomato soup and a small piece of cheese.
Once you get through these two days, you should be able to head into heavier , but still non greasy fare.

hope you are feeling better.

huggs
k
gw 135

If you can't do something willingly and joyfully, then don't do it. If you give up drinking, don't go moaning about it; go back on the bottle. Do. As. Thou. Wilt.--- Peter O'Toole

blondie454u responded:
I hope you get to feeling better!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

jis4judy responded:
Ditto what Kim said you can;t go wrong with her advice
hope you feel better soon Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn responded:
Hi there, BB! Ginger tea can help nausea (boil a little ginger and honey in water) and so can peppermint tea. Unsweetened, because it doesn't need sweetner, and neither tea is caffeinated so both would be easy on your stomach. You may want to consider some electrolytes if you have been vomiting a lot. Hope you feel better soon. Kim is right, don't worry about exercising other than light stretching if you are still not getting much in the way of calories.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

bigred53 replied to rohvannyn's response:
BB if you feel like going to the store or if someone will go for you Canada Dry sugar free Ginger Ale is very good too.

Just an FYI, stock up on canned chicken, or vegetable broth for the next time. I know when I'm sick like that my stomach responds well to yogurt and cottage cheese. Then there's always that childhood staple - Campbell's chicken noodle soup.

Remember to keep as hydrated as you can too.

Hope you feel back to your usual self real soon!!

Michelle

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm from Malaysia and have just joined this group. I was a big baby (13.25lbs) and have never been small. But now that I'm in 54 with 5 pr...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.