Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
One last shot before weight loss surgery
sunlitcbreeze posted:
Ok so here I go, I'm a 47 year old Female with a multitude of issues. First, I have been disabled for 15 years with psoriatic arthritis in my spine as well as fibromyalgia and diabetes. I have many allergies which include shellfish and other seafood. Every time I look for diets they consist of shellfish/seafood. I believe I eat the right things, just to much of it. I have cut out soda and juices and all I drink is water. I do not drink alcohol, no smoking, but unfortunately junk food is my down fall. I have taken steps to remove it from my home but with 2 kids that are very picky eaters its difficult to remove it all. Motivation and support are my biggest problems. I think they go hand in hand unfortunately. I just went back to the Y and got a membership again because I gave it up after 10 years of not using it. (Just the kids programs) I have spent years downing weight loss surgery for one reason or another usually because if I gave in It would be like losing the control I thought I could "do it on my own" or "admitting I was weak" for not being able to do it myself...

I am scheduled for the seminar for next week. I have spent almost a year researching and I think it may be time. I guess I'm looking for a little support.

Thank You.

SW245 CW225 GW130.

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Sunlit, welcome to our community.
I started out at 253 a couple of years ago, so I know exactly where you are coming from I've got arthritis from having my left hip crushed in a car accident and some disk degeneration because of the weight and the way I was walking since my accident.
I was a 2x 2liter pepsi a day drinker, and backed that up with daily candy bars or krispy kremes.
Hell, if I can do it. You can. lol
I'm not at goal yet but I was heavy/obese most of my life. It'll take some time to work it out and I'm still learning.

I know you said that you've been researching the surgery for about a year. If that is so, you know that it's not 100% foolproof and you only lose about 25% of your body weight... that's average.

here is a link to our only other blogging member that has had the surgery. So far, it has worked for her, but I urge you to read her entire list of postings. She, too, started out just needing moral support for her decision.
Please take the time to enlighten yourself with her very in depth log of her journey with this.

http://exchanges.webmd.com/dieting-club-50-100-lbs-exchange/search?query=PinkIsNancy&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

Stick with us. It's interesting to see how new members work with their new lifestyles. Share your experiences and let us help you along the way.

huggs
kim
gw 135

If you can't do something willingly and joyfully, then don't do it. If you give up drinking, don't go moaning about it; go back on the bottle. Do. As. Thou. Wilt.--- Peter O'Toole

jis4judy responded:
Hi sunlit
welcome aboard weight loss surgery is not the easy road some think it is ...if you don;t control your eating habits it will also fail ...
most people think dieting is the answer but it isn't a life style change of habits that you live with for life not much different from the life after surgery ... You look very close at your eating habits and get rid of junk eat to nourish your body and believe me your kids would be better off without the junk as well
a good plan would include
whole grains lean meats fruits and vegies low fat or fat free dairy nuts and seeds in moderation
once you have these as your basics than you pay more attention to portion size
It is a matter of learning what is helpful to your body and avoiding things that destroy it

I make a rule that there is a green vegie every day
and eating a rainbow of fruits and vegies can help to move your body into better health
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

blondie454u responded:
Welcome! You've gotten some great advice on this topic and I agree with Judy and Kim.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

justmejust responded:
Welcome, I'm glad you are here! I have two coworkers that had gastric bypass weight loss surgery. One is around 30 the other is around 50, she just had hers last week. It seems to becoming more popular in our city. I see regular ads about the procedure at a local hospital.

Laura
Laura
Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi In the beginning I wasn't trying to lose weight I was increasing my fruits vegies and reducing sweets to improve my vision that took a bad turn...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.