Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
THE VERY VERY SAD RADIATOR STORY
mog1026 posted:
Once upon a time there was a very very sad radiator.....no, no that's another story. So this one goes like this,,,,in 1996 my house caught on fire. The house was built in 1910 and it was heated by a lot of wonderful old original radiators in all the rooms and hallways. There was even one in the attic. They gave off moist heat which was very good for the skin and furniture in the winter. All in all there were over 30 of these very heavy cast iron beauties. Some of them were very long. They clanged in the night and we all loved the sound. When the house was being restored and repainted, it was decided that the best way to get the soot and brown goo, that is left everywhere after a fire, off the radiators was to sand blast it off. So a boatload of very strong men spent several days disconnecting them and transporting them down to the driveway behind the house. When they were all outside everyone went home for the day, and I went back to my rented house where the insurance company had put us up. The next morning bright and early the workers arrived to begin the sandblasting and to their astonishment every radiator was GONE. Not a single one left! And together they weighed several thousand pounds! My neighbors had heard nothing in the night, not even the one whose house faced the driveway exit. It would have taken many men and multiple trucks to transport them in the dead of night. The workers the previous days were local men who were long time well regarded employees. The radiators in the driveway could not be seen from the street and the street is a narrow residential road. The police were flummoxed. The radiators were never found. Do you have a solution to this mystery? I think I do. The week before, an inspector from the famous mega bank who owned our mortgage came to visit to see how work was progressing. He was professionally dressed in a suit, very chatty and admired our house and its beautiful radiators and told me how a friend of his restored old houses and would love antique radiators like ours. I laughed and said we really needed them come the winter months. The police tracked him down and questioned him, but could prove nothing. I've never stopped missing them because they couldn't be replaced. It was a sad, sad part of our fire experience and proof that sometimes, people can be very very BAD!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 216.4. GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy responded:
wow that had to be the steal of the century .
what a loss that was and indeed that's the saddest radiator story I ever heard ...
So how did you fix that ? did you buy other radiators ? or change the heating system ?
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

mog1026 replied to jis4judy's response:
We had no choice. ((SOB))! There were no other radiators like these to be had. They weren't made anymore and could only have been gotten by salvage and then how would we have found the right sizes even if we could have afforded them. The insurance company made the decision to make the heating a forced air system, so holes were cut in the floors and ceilings, aluminum vents installed, and dry dry air spewed out all winter long. I often wonder where they are now, if they have been split up, and if they miss us as much as we miss them.

Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy replied to mog1026's response:
what a change you had to deal with that is sad .
I have forced hot air in this house.. I had radiators like yours in my old house , so I know what you mean about the adjustment
we sold our old house radiators included
That bank;s inspector must have just told his friend where he could find them that is so sad ,,

Hugs Judy

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

bigred53 replied to jis4judy's response:
Oh Kathy I'm wiping the tears as I type. You know that whoever took them will pay in the end. Karma's a b***h.

I kinda thought you were going to be your usual silly self (I so enjoy her) and tell us you had burned your behind on one when you were a child.

What is sad is that there are so many bad people out there. I'm so worried that my sister is going to be taken advantage of during the rebuild of her house. We both wish our brothers could be here to supervise.

No more sad stories ok? Just happy or funny ones.

Michelle

mog1026 replied to bigred53's response:
It's not SAD, Michelle! It's RADIATORS! xxoo

Milton, Paradise Lost

bigred53 replied to mog1026's response:
But they were your radiators! And you said you and your family liked them. I know it's not like they were a living thing but I'm sure they had personality and character. I'm pissed that someone had the nerve to steal from you.

When my sister's house burned someone immediately came and boarded up the windows. The next day they came and put up a chain link fence with gates and chain locks. Too bad you didn't have that at your house. The crime rate here is probably a lot higher than where you are. I should know since I work for a state law enforcement agency.

I've been putting together my daily baggie of the vitamins and supplements I take. I do a couple of weeks worth at a time. Then I know what I need to buy for the next time I do this. Yippee! I for sure need to get ginger, glucosamine and chondroitin, milk thistle and maybe a couple of other things. I'd better live until I'm at least 142...lol.

Xoxox

Michelle

ladylavender responded:
A very sad story indeed! Very frustrating! ((Kathy))
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

rachael2011 responded:
Thanks for sharing your radiator story, Kathy. A gripping tale of love and loss! Hugs, Rachael
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 295.4 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

mog1026 replied to rachael2011's response:
Hahaha Rachael! I like that as a subtitle!

Milton, Paradise Lost

rohvannyn replied to mog1026's response:
Wow. Pretty terrible what people can get away with when they work for a megabank and wear a nice suit, and act chatty and friendly! Meanwhile people who never did anything, but maybe have tattoos or funny hair, get falsely accused of things they have too much honor to do. That's why I think twice before believing someone who wears a suit and is too friendly. It's not just a tragedy, it's theft, and a pretty bad crime! And one that even affects the health of your family. I'm really sorry you had to go through that.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' --Y

blondie454u responded:
Just WOW!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

totallywiggedout responded:
'Sob'
I never had them. But my old elementary school did. I didn't appreciate them the way you did yours but I suppose there's always an element that relishes the look and feel of antiquities such as your beloved radiators.

Here Kathy. In case you ever decide to replace that dry furnace.

https://www.castrads.com/sale/

You may have to pay dearly for shipping but it may be worth it, for old times' sake.

huggs
k
gw 135

If you can't do something willingly and joyfully, then don't do it. If you give up drinking, don't go moaning about it; go back on the bottle. Do. As. Thou. Wilt.--- Peter O'Toole

jis4judy replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hey Kim did that storm raging through Texas get to your area I know you are close to them
it came east but went out to sea before it got here
Hugs Judy

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hahaha Kim! Unfortunate name dontcha think? Leave it to the Brits to have a supply of outdated heating equipment! Don't they still just put a coin in the heater? It's a great source, but can you imagine the shipping costs? LOL!

Milton, Paradise Lost

Spotlight: Member Stories

Very busy single mother of 2 boys 16 and 11. Pl us I am owned by my 2 "fur kids" Rocky and Simi. Tired of being overweight and hating myself...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar's effect on your body.
An hour and a half long but worth it. I will watch this multiple times until I know it by heart. Sugar leads to the immediate formation of ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.