Skip to content
BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS April 7, Monday
parakeet210 posted:
Sorry i'm so late again. Been on work phone and have been having trouble with internet! GRRRR

We should all be eating a higher protein lo glycemic diet. Helps ward off diabetes while maintaining good cells in our body.

Below is a picture of some lo glycemic foods

Yum Yum.........................

I actually bought my first spaghetti squash last week and will prepare it some time this week.

Tomatoes (spagh sauce) and acorn squash (spagh squash). I've never had it before so i'm looking forward to it.

My weight 262
thoroughly disgusted with myself tho glad to see u women are staying the course!!
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 264.0. GW. 170 CW 258.8
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mog1026 responded:
Hi Tweety! I'm curious to hear how you like the spaghetti squash. I know Rachael likes it a lot. I guess you bake it, then shred it and add the sauce. It sounds like a strange combo to me because I couldn't imagine doing that with butternut or acorn squash! You are using spaghetti squash, right Tweety?

I had a good Monday to Monday last week because I lost 1.8 pounds. I always figure my week that way because I started this year on a Monday. Today was my usual 0.2. This coming week I want to be all about 212...saying hello AND goodbye to it. . This CAN be done.

The Plan is up in the air. Maybe soup for lunch, beef for dinner.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 213.2. GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

parakeet210 responded:
keep in mind that what you put on or in your veggies makes a huge difference with the calories. We like ours saut?ed in light evoo and I also put red onion and sometimes half baby tomatoes in it.

my brkfst: 2 pieces protein toast w/ 1.5 tsp honey and cinnamon
2 cuppa with 1/21/2

next????

tweety 'keet'

kalimiller responded:
Hey guys! I don't have internet at home yet, so I'll just be posting weekdays

Breakfast for me was two pumpkin spice muffins that DH made for me.
I have a baggie of grapes for a snack. Then I think tuna and crackers for lunch.

My weight has been around 190-191 the last few days. I started doing a monthly ab challenge and I'm making my DH do it with me. Day three is today. Yesterday we did day two and were both dead after 20 sit ups. Lol. It's progress though!
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 191

mog1026 replied to kalimiller's response:
That is GREAT Kali! A teeny more ab work and this kind of eating and you'll be in the 180's. Won't THAT feel great! Wowie, between the stairs and this you are really doing it

Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy responded:
Good afternoon Ladies
I was quite bust this morning I was the computer tech for hubby on his old windows xp just got it fixed before the updates stop tomorrow.

Breakfast was

oatmeal cooked in FF milk with honey added strawberries and banana and a couple of chocolate morsels also has a small 3 sections of orange 1 cup black coffee

Dinner
pork chop with onions
5.2 oz baked potato
2 T sour cream ff
1 1/2 C cooked spinach
side salad with mixed greens 1/4 Bell pepper 1 slice red onion 1 radish 2 slice cuke 4 black olives
1/2 roma tomato 1 T each red wine vinegar WB robusto dressing

Calories so far 868

no walk no exercise other than household chores
forgot to weigh in too

Wednesday I have an appointment to see the eye doc

I hope you all are doing good
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

bigred53 replied to jis4judy's response:
Hello ladies!!

The way I was taught to cook spaghetti squash is to cut it in half lenght wise, scrape out the seeds then put it cut side down in a baking pan with a little bit of water on the botton and nuke it for about eight minutes or so. Let it cool enough to handle then scrape the 'spaghetti' out and put your marinara sauce on it. I like it with a little butter and salt and pepper. It is a very mild tasting squash.

Kathy I like the idea of burning the boats! A good analogy. I've got some boats I sure need to burn - like my addiction to soda and Mexican food. Those tortillas are NOT good for me!!

It was a fast food weekend for me - bean and cheese burritos and tacos for the most part. I did have something half way decent for dinner last night - a chicken tostada salad - the tortilla was whole wheat and char-grilled to make it crispy. Very tasty but then I like burned toast. My dear grandmother always seemed to burn the toast so if you wanted toast you learned to like it...lol.

I AM going to do better this week!!! Healthier dinners and no weekend junk!! I've got my usual today, tomorrow and Thursday. I'm taking the day off Wednesday to go with my sister while she has a colonoscopy and then Friday is what I call my beauty day - I get to sleep in a bit and then I get my hair and nails done. I'm going to 'reverse frost' my hair and then let it grow out natural. I'm curious to see what it will look like. If I don't like it I can always color it again.

That's my excitelent so far...lol. Have a wonderful, healthy day!

Michelle

ladylavender replied to bigred53's response:
Michelle, you beat me to the punch - that's how I cook spaghetti squash. It IS a very mild squash, and it tastes good just knowing you are replacing pasta with a veggie, LOL. I like it.

Keet, what I learned from an extensive course on warding off or helping diabetes is definitely the low-glycemic veggies and all, but raising fiber intake versus protein keeps blood sugars more even and keeps me fuller longer. Americans in general eat too much animal protein, and high-protein diets can actually throw a person into diabetes in the long run. Diabetes type 2 is one of the "Western" diseases that is avoidable, but also largely fixable depending on how much damage has been done and what one is willing to do to be healthier.

Just passing along what I have learned. That's a very simple version. In the class, we were taught what happens in the body depending on what we eat.

I know we all have different backgrounds, and we will disagree at times. I'm sure some will disagree with what I wrote. I do have 150% confidence in what I have learned, though. I never want to step on toes but rather add a different perspective.

I love this group, and if I ever offend anyone, please let me know. I'm a peacemaker type of person and it is difficult for me to speak up sometimes.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

-Abby

ausgram responded:
Hi Everyone, had to rush outta here this morning. Spent the day with my daughter. Spent lots of money. I always do when I'm with her. Ha.

Weigh in this am - 185

brkfst - 1 cup cantelope, 1/2 cup joe, didn't have time to finish it.

Lunch - Gulp Went to P F Changs. Oh yummy. I had their shrimp with lobster sauce. It actually was only 520 calories. I had their brown rice instead of their white or fried. We first ordered their lettuce wrap vegetarian style, which was only 610 calories but all 3 of use each had 2 lettuce leaves. So each was only 203 cals. I also had their salad, thinking that would be a good choice. Wrong. It was bad. 700 cal. I'm glad I didn't eat it all. I'll know next time, just cause it's called a salad doesn't mean its low in cal. Darn it. But all in all I think I did pretty good. Ha.

As for the spegetti squash, yep cut in half and stick it in the microwave upside down. But for the acorn squash, cut in half and put in a small dish cover with wax paper and nuke it. I love all the squashes they make, (I mean God grows).

Kathy thanks for helping me last night. I really appreciated your help. Your a good girl.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -187; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

ausgram replied to ausgram's response:
I ment to say, don't turn the acorn squash upside down.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -187; GW -150 for now, will lower that WHEN I reach it.

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

parakeet210 replied to ladylavender's response:
ur fine abby!! I don't think u've offended anyone! and especially not me!!!

Kathy, we started the challenge march 31. so sorry been goofed up all day with dates cuz of obamacare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Abby,
so fiber is better than protein? so how many oz of meat chicken fish should you have in the course of one day? for a woman and for a man do you know? my dietician kept pushing hi protein hi fiber and low glycemic ... I didn't know it was low glycemic until a bit ago or I forgot??

I had 3 T refried beans, 3 T guac, 1 T salsa 10 miniature tostitos
alcohol

lunch was a ceaser salad minus the dressing and 1/2 tsp lo fat balsamic vinergerette
1/2 rye chicken breast, tomato and lettuce

tweety 'keet'

bigred53 replied to ladylavender's response:
Abby, you are so right about the amount of protein most Americans eat. The older I get the less protein I seem to want. I have my Greek ff yogurts and some nuts and then a 4oz can of chicken or some cottage cheese. If I have a chicken salad for dinner there is not that much chicken on it. It really doesn't bother me all that much to go without any kind of meat, chicken or fish sometimes. I'd be real happy with a Caprese salad - tomatoes, fresh mozzerela, basil and basalmic vinaigrette. That is SO good in the summer when it's hot. I like it with some thinly sliced red onion too.

As a type 2 diabetic I know what and what not to eat, however, like most people I am weak - not all the time thank goodness or my blood sugar readings would show it. It can be difficult to maintain any kind of lifestyle change. Losing weight has sure helped my diabetes and blood pressure.

Abby, you have never offended me. Nobody can agree with everybody all of the time but we can be kind and caring and civilized about anything we personally might disagree with someone about. I love learning different things and seeing old things from a different perspective. I don't ever want to be stuck in too much of a rut. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be afraid to add your perspective to a thread. I think most everyne here is very open minded.

I love this group too.

BTW. today is my first day of having coffee without creamer. I've gradually been cutting down on the creamer so my coffee wasn't so bed. I still have to use sweetener. Maybe someday I can get rid of that too. To me black coffee is like straight whiskey. Now I like a whiskey sour but a shot of whiskey no way Jose - well maybe if it was Southern Comfort...lol.

Michelle

mog1026 replied to ausgram's response:
Lots of interesting info today ladies...I never thought to cook squash in a microwave. I always use the oven but how quick that would be. Thanks! Here's one in return. My daughter just called to tell me to try this super easy way to cook eggplant. Just get a little one, the size of a baked potato. Put it as is on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 until it is roasted looking, she said definitely less than an hour when I asked. Then split it and the skin pops off. Add salt and pepper and its delicious. Can't get much easier than that!

Abby, I never heard that about dietary protein and diabetes. How much is too much?

You're welcome Aussie. I loved hearing from you.

Milton, Paradise Lost

mog1026 replied to mog1026's response:
Food of the day

Breakfast - clementine, 1 1/2 cup dry cereal

Lunch - 6 oz no mayo chicken salad, snow pea pods, orange pepper slices, apple

Dinner - 3 1/2 oz chicken breast, 2 cups cooked squash, 2 T cranberries, red onion slice, 1/3 endive head, cup arugula, 2 celery stalks, 2 1/2 T ranch dressing

This was really filling today.

Milton, Paradise Lost

bigred53 replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy I read somewhere that older women (and be include myself) need less than five ounces of protein a day. There are 28.5 grams per ounce so that would be about 140 grams per day. I also read that romaine lettuce is one fourth protein. Go figure. Also the original reason that American Indians called beans, corn and squash their holy trinity is because together they made a complete protein. Just like beans and rice in the Mexican culture. Together they're a complete protein. Quinoa is the only grain/seed that has a complete protein and omega 3's.

I will sometimes make a dish with zucchini or Mexican squash, a can of corn and tomatoes cooked together seasoned with garlic and salt. Not much liquid. Then when it's done put some cheese on top - whatever kind you like. I like cheddar or Jack cheese. My sister salivates when I fix that. If it was just me I'd put some onions and chili in there too but she doesn't like them.

Another thing you can do with quinoa is make a salad using tomatoes, red or green onions, bell peppers, cukes, some fresh cilantro or basil or parsley - whatever you like - garlic powder of course and lemon or lime juice. I can't cook anything without Lawrey's seasoning salt but then salt is not a problem for me.

I thought I'd give you some ideas for meatless meals. You could also put a can of pinto beans with the squash mixture for more protein.

I find that when it gets hot I don't want much meat but I know I do need some protein here and there. It was in the 90's today and I am not a happy camper. ..lol.

Garbanzo beans are full of protein and I love them in salads. That's why hummus is so good for you.

Well my dears it's time for this old broad to get to bed. More tomorrow.

Michelle

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been unemployed for the past 2 1\2 years after the plant closed and I've gained over 180 pounds, in part, due to some health problems and...More

Helpful Tips

Sugar: All you need to know
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kristin-kirkpatrick-ms-rd-ld/dangers-of-sugar_b_3658061.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.