Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
SODA! My personal non-expert solution to the crack cocaine of beverages!
mog1026 posted:
I want to say something about SODA, which apparently is something like my CAKE or chocolate to some people. I keep hearing that America is addicted to soda and I have friends who drink astounding amounts of the diet stuff. It doesn't seem to matter whether its regular or diet, the experts blame it for a lot of our weight woes. Why is it such a problem to stop drinking it? Is it as addictive as cigarettes? That was really really hard to quit. As addictive as nail biting? I licked that in Eighth Grade. Well I kicked soda too back in the mid 1970's. I still gained a LOT OF WEIGHT, but I can rest easy knowing SODA hasn't been the cause. I just knew I drank a lot of it and it probably wasn't good for me. But I liked the bubbles and I liked the taste. And besides since I wasn't a fan of water, what else was there to drink back then when dinosaurs roamed the Earth? Jim Jones ruined Kool-Aid for most of us!

Well here's what I found. Club soda was cheap so there I had the bubbles. And I liked orange juice which was everywhere before pomegranate juice took over the world. So I would pour myself a glass of club soda and splash a bit of juice in to taste. It was good. It felt a little sophisticated. Not too sweet, no cloying aftertaste. And interestingly it didn't make me more thirsty after I drank it. It was VITAMIN WATER before it's time! After a while I transitioned to fizzy water alone and now I even like it plain almost all of the time. Soda? Not so much. Once or twice a year in a restaurant I might order a ginger ale, but it's never as tasty as I think it's going to be.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 212.6 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

rohvannyn responded:
Nice solution! Makes me want to brew up some low cal ginger ale. My folks only gave me soda as a treat so I never got addicted to it or used to having it. I like it but these days it's too sweet and I don't like the high fructose corn syrup. But then again, I like water. I can't blame my obesity on that then, can i? It's more to do with the fact that I eat too much and I don't exercise enough.

And good thoughts, too. I realy think some folks use the addiction excuse because they really don't want to change, but they don't want it to be their fault. It may sound mean but I personally think it's true. The problem with today's society is we spend so much time treating the symptoms, that we never do anything to fix the root cause. The root cause with excessive soda drinking, really, is that people like the taste of something sweet and aren't paying enough attention to their health. Simple as that. Same problem as I have with other things. The short term reward outweighs good sense.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' - Y

Post reboot starting weight: 192.4 Goal: 140

bigred53 replied to rohvannyn's response:
I rarely got soda as a child either and then had to beg for it. I wish I knew why I let it have such a hold on me when I know better. It's not good for any part of me - my waistline or my diabetes. I've got to totally ignore that little, sometimes big voice that says "drink me". I don't keep any at home or work so why do I have to stop and get some? I do drink plenty of water too. I am going to keep working on my drinking problem.

I love juices but with diabetes I have to be careful with it. As careful as I should be with soda. I've got to tell myself soda is poison and it's keeping me from being healthy.

I'm bending over so you all can give me a good swift kick in the butt or two or three. ...

Michelle

mog1026 replied to bigred53's response:
KICK KICK KICK KICK! I'm moving from Abby to you! Hahaha! I'm sure fruit juice is as bad as soda. Both have sugar in one form or another. But is a tablespoon of juice worse than a 12 oz can of soda? Or use a slice of lemon, perhaps? Or is there a flavoring that would work, like a drop of vanilla extract? Just an idea because I could see you were frustrated by your desire for soda

Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy replied to bigred53's response:
consider your butt kicked big red !!! healthy eating and drinking is the message . soda is not healthy even juice isn;t that good better to eat the whole fruit ..
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

bigred53 replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks Kathy and Judy. I've been talking to myself about my soda issue all day. Sometimes I can go quite awhile without wanting any. I've got to keep telling myself that soda equals poison. Sometimes I get in the mindset that I deserve it because I've been so good. Wrong way to think I know. I need to think that I deserve a smaller size pants because I've been so good.

Speaking of pants/clothes, my office partner keeps getting on my case. She asks me when I'm going to get rid of those baggy pants. I tell her when I can afford to get smaller ones. I should buy a pair a month or if I can find something good at the $6 store two pairs. ..lol. That will be my reward instead of soda. Sound like a plan?

Kathy I'd like you to know how proud I am of you and the tremendous effort you have been putting into being healthy.

I'd like to thank everyone for being here and being so open and honest about your struggles. I know that with all of you here I don't feel so alone with my struggles.

Xoxox

Michelle

jis4judy replied to bigred53's response:
That sounds good Michelle I remember I bought myself new art software for my computer as a reward for being so good and later I went with my daughter to get my nails done fingers and toes . that was kind of fun
buying new clothes is also fun and a great reward plus the new clothes can be a motivator to keep going
Hugs Judy

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

parakeet210 replied to bigred53's response:
muuuuuuuuahhhhh??? soda pop???? did I hear soda pop?? I know I drink to much diet! I do like the taste too. I had cut back to zero for many weeks and along came the old habit back

.Michelle kick kick..... when we're trying to change something we need to do it a little at a time in mho or we pull the bandaid off real quick. I prefer the first method.

the first step is awareness ...........thanks Kathy for making us aware and putting this thread up.
Roh I completely disagree with y
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 264.0. GW. 170 CW 258.8

jis4judy replied to parakeet210's response:
Roh I know had an addiction to sweets and it was my fault that I let that happen to my body .. It came from my desire to bake things I was a great baker and baked stuff 2 times a week
when I first started my Nutrition quest I had some symptoms
like imagining I was eating sweets I had to make my self do repetitive tasks to focus away from the thoughts . it was really strange getting control of that feeling I had ... I played free slots online to get my mind on something else and away from the sweets ...
Hugs Judy

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
Idk but I know that I got addicted to pop. For sure Pepsi for about 18 years. If I didn't have my 3 a day, or so, I got major migraine headaches. But I didn't like water either. When I started drinking diet pepsi, I drank less because I didn't like the taste as much, but it wasn't until I started drinking the water that I could pretty much kick the habit.
I still have a coke zero about once a week but I'm backing it up with gallons of water during that week too.

I don't drink straight juices at all. I usually only add what I need for my fruit/veggie blender concoctions and even then, I try to use half water or unsweetened green tea.

huggs
k
gw 135

If you can't do something willingly and joyfully, then don't do it. If you give up drinking, don't go moaning about it; go back on the bottle. Do. As. Thou. Wilt.--- Peter O'Toole

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Michelle, Pants for pop, Pants for pop! Now that's a great trade besides you've lost so much weight you must look like you're wearing pantaloons by now. And you don't want to be dropping your drawers at inopportune times! Time to go Shopping! And NOT at the 7-Eleven!

Milton, Paradise Lost

rohvannyn replied to parakeet210's response:
Keet, I don't mind that you completely disagree with me, but I'd appreciate knowing why and what about.

I suspect I know what, so correct me if I got the wrong thing: I'm not denying that some folks have an addiction to sugar. I just think that a lot of other people may also be using the idea of addiction as a reason why it's okay for them not to change. I'm not specifically saying that anyone here is doing that. I just know that from my personal experience, I have both done this, and seen people do this a lot. "Oh, I am addicted to this. That means I'm helpless. That means I can make a halfhearted attempt to stop, fail, throw my hands up in despair, and then go on doing exactly what I wanted to do in the first place, secure in the knowledge that I tried."

I HAVE DONE THIS. I have SEEN this done. That's why I say it happens. Once again, not pointing fingers at anyone, just bringing up something that might get in the way of success.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' - Y

Post reboot starting weight: 192.4 Goal: 140

bigred53 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh, even though I didn't address what you said about using 'addiction' as an excuse to continue the behavior I agree with you wholeheartedly. IMO you are one smart woman and over time you have given me many valid points to ponder. I always appreciate a different perspective.

I've finally given up the coffee creamer so now I need to work my way to giving up coffee entirely. I know I will feel better without the caffine no matter what "they" say about coffee being full of antioxidents. BFD. I know I can get my antioxicents elsewhere in a much more satisfying way.

I do believe that HFC is as addicting or even moreso than caffine. So, getting off the caffine merry-go-round will be a process. I have no desire to get horrible headaches and other digestive problems from stopping cold turkey.

I have been seriously lecturing myself about the Pepsi problem. I can say that I am going to try much harder to stay away from the evil stuff. It really is empty calories and has no real purpose in my life.

Thank you Kathy for giving me my new mantra - PANTS FOR PEPSI!! PANTS FOR PEPSI!! I could also do like Judy did with her ice cream. If I can do well for a month then I can have some. I think I'd rather have new, smaller pants though.

I did treat myself with a non-food or drink item. I got a hot pink Hello Kitty purse!! It is gorgeous!! And nice and big. You all would be SO jealous. It was only $60. Much better than the $300 Anushka purse I fell in love with. I'll get that one when I win the lotto...lol. Or when I get into onederland! About 40 more pounds to go. Whooppee!!

Hugs and kisses to all!!

Michelle

totallywiggedout replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh, I agree with the "easy way out" theory. You are right that if you find that you have addictive personality, then it's easy to only give yourself half the chance/half the effort to kick bad lifestyle habits and choices. It's a built in escape hatch.
Same with copping out and saying , "Oh, I have a glandular problem" or "I'm just big boned" for excusing obesity. Truly , this only fits about 3% of the population, and it still doesn't excuse huge intakes of bad food choices.

An alcoholic, tobacco users, drug abuse, overeating.... all from addictive personalities, yes. But also from the HABIT formed by continually doing the same thing , all day, every day.
Break the habit by just a little bit and the addiction alters. CONTINUE to break the habit and around 35-60 days out, you find that you are less addicted. You may have cravings, but they are usually brought on by stress or from finding yourself in the same "reminder setting" (like an after sex cigerette, lol)

so, I concur.

huggs
k
gw 135

If you can't do something willingly and joyfully, then don't do it. If you give up drinking, don't go moaning about it; go back on the bottle. Do. As. Thou. Wilt.--- Peter O'Toole

mog1026 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I think we all are using two different definitions of addiction. There's addiction and then there's ADDICTION! True ADDICTION is in a class all by itself swirling around drugs and alcohol.....maybe cigarettes in a very mild form.. When we talk about addiction here, we're referring to a craving for something that makes us content and happy, but lets face it none of us are sweating and getting the shakes from giving up a larabar or a glass of coke. Still and all, these are pleasurable habits that can be very hard to break even if they're doable when we put our minds to it.

Milton, Paradise Lost

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've always been bigger than other girls. I was an 8 pound baby and my weight never stopped increasing. I think genetics are partially to blame bu...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.