Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
tbird88 posted:
Hi Group, I am six weeks into my recent weight loss challenge and looking for support and ideas to conquer this enormous waistline. I have been on several diets in the past and even had gastric bypass but have regained most of the weight back. Imagine that I had a gastric bypass and have regained most of the weight back!What's wrong with my picture! Well here I am....I am doing very well so far on my diet and I am exercising 4-5x/week. I have lost 15 lbs. I just really need to converse with others that are endeavoring a weight loss challenge too. And I hope that it can be an interchange of encouragement and support. Thanks for listening.
SW 267 CW 252 GW 160

Tia
FirstPrevious12NextLast

jis4judy responded:
Hi Tbird welcome aboard
most of us know diets don't work unless you keep doing them . most people think diet for a few months then go back to old eating habits well that's just going to make you gain the weight right back . the key is eating as healthy as possible and doing it for the rest of your life .. eliminate processed foods focus on high nutrition foods mostly from vegies and fruits add in some protein whole grains fat free dairy drink water and tea you can even have nuts in moderation Just make changes to your eating habits that you can live with forever this way maintaining is built in I removed 98 pounds back in 2003 I have been maintaining since maintaining is doing the same thing I did while removing weight and have an occasional indulgence not every day
this worked for me I became healthier as I went along
so join us and maybe we can help you to stay motivated I call my journey Judys Nutrition Quest
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

tbird88 replied to jis4judy's response:
Thank you Judy. Congratulations on maintaining your weight loss since 2003 that is so encouraging to hear that you have kept the weight off. My problem is I lose weight but do not maintain it! I appreciate your nutrition information and I will follow your advice. I like your journey name, Judys Nutrition Quest. It is so much more than just dieting that keeps the weight off.

Tia

SW 267 CW 252

bigred53 replied to tbird88's response:
Hi Tia and welcome. Listen to Judy. A weight loss journey is for the rest of your life. I've lost a lot of weight in the past and maintained for about five years. The way I maintained was to stay on my 'diet' during the week then I would have a few indulgences on the weekend. I did exercise every day too.

Like Judy says eat whole natural foods and stay away from packaged. Unless it's a bag of frozen vegetables.

We're a pretty lively group and we often talk about things other than weight loss. I think you'll like it here.

Btw congratulations on your progress so far.

Michelle

mog1026 replied to bigred53's response:
Welcome! This is a mutual motivation society
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 212.2 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

totallywiggedout responded:
Welcome aboard, Tia. Glad you decided to join our group rather than some other , lesser IMHO, group. lol
You made the right choice! Congratulations!

You already know the drill. The ins and outs of what is good for you and what isn't . You know this. So I won't bother to tell you about that.

What you may not know is that Judy isn't the only one on here that has lost a hundred and kept it off for at least a year. There are several ladies here that are in maintenance and keep coming back in to check up on and encourage the group. They say it helps to keep themselves accountable, and I believe it. Because accountability to ourselves and our health isn't just saying the words, it's continuing to strive for personal excellence.
No one can do it for us. We do it for ourselves. Because we are worth the effort.
YOU are worth the effort.
Believe in yourself and love yourself enough to do this for you and only you.

Also, Log into our community, and check out our "resources" tab up at the left of page. You will find our recipes, many of which we have either made up ourselves or have tried and deemed good enough to eat, with the added bonuses of being healthy and quick to fix.

You will also find links to some really good exercises , all free, that we have found to be very fun and easy enough for anyone that comes along, no matter their size or their physical condition. You may initially have to conform them to your abilities but they are all, truly , do-able.

Remember, don't reach for soda pop and juices, drink water. At least 64 oz of it a day is recommended. So drink up.

kim
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs per month till goal of 135 attained

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

tbird88 replied to bigred53's response:
Is low calorie , low fat packaged foods ok? I like that you treat yourself on the weekend. I am a bit afraid at this stage of the game to even try an indulgence I am afraid I will lose it altogether. Should I treat myself. I want to lose this weight so bad....I just wish it would hurry up and drop off.

Btw congratulations on maintaining your weight loss!

Tia

tbird88 replied to mog1026's response:
Thank you and I hope I can be a good motivation to others.

tbird88 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you Kim for the encouraging words. I went to Zumba this morning at the gym and I thought about how good it felt to workout and as I looked at myself in the mirror I thought I am doing this for myself. I appreciate when you say "YOU are worth the effort" that is so true. Congratulations on your weight loss!

Tia

Tia I hope you're don't disillusion you but that weight loss was over 30 years ago. I gained it all back and more. I'm working on it again slowly but surely.

Treat yourself with non food items. Nail polish, a new hair cut or color. Something like that. I've been having a problem with soda lately so I've decided with the help of my friends here that if I can go a month without any I can buy myself a new and smaller pair of pants. Also when I get into onederland - under 200 pounds - I get to buy myself an Anuschka purse I've been drooling over.

I don't cook much and it kind of sounds like you don't either. I could be wrong though. You really need to learn how to read labels. They sometimes put a lot of sneaky unhealthy stuff in packaged foods. I know that if you work it can be difficult to eat right. Believe it or not but I do better at work.

Here's what I eat at work. Two fat free Greek yogurts, a serving of pistachios, usually some celery, a small can of chicken and a V8. Or I'll have an apple and peanut butter instead of the chicken and celery. Sometimes I'll have a grapefruit too. Some days I'm hungrier than others. I've checked out all of the local fast food places online and I pick something under 600 calories. Then I'll read a little and get to bed. I need my beauty sleep. ..lol.

I've lost somewhere around 100 pounds but it has taken me about 8 years. I've been doing a lot better in the past year. Different medications can make it complicated and more difficult to lose weight. I've been off blood pressure meds for about nine months. I'm also diabetic - type 2 - and my blood sugar levels are better than ever. In fact I may be able to reduce my meds for that. I've still got a long way to go and I know I'll have some mis-steps here and there but I know I need to do this for myself. I'm not doing it for anyone else but me. I'm 60 years old and I'd like to be healthy in my older years.

It seems I'm learning something new about myself and what causes me to overeat just about every day. Coming here daily and knowing I'm not alone with my struggles really does help keep me focused.

Another bit of advice - make small weight loss goals, like tell yourself you're going to lose five pounds rather than looking at the whole amount. I don't have a scale at home so just about the only time I get weighed is when I go to the doctor and I'm happy as long as my weight goes down and so is my doctor. It's gone up a few times here and there and then I stop and think about what I've been doing that might have affected it. The last time I figured it was the coffee creamer I'd been going crazy with. I've been off creamer for a week now and I really don't miss it. Sometimes it's the little things that can make a big difference.

Dang it looks like I've written a book. ..lol. I hope what I've written helps you cuz it helps remind me of what I need to do too.

Tia I hope you keep coming back. When we help others we end up helping ourselves too. Become a Weight Warrior with us.

Michelle

bigred53 replied to bigred53's response:
Oops, sorry about the typos. Call me fumble fingers.

Michelle

tbird88 replied to bigred53's response:
Thank you Michelle. Your right ...I don't cook. My boyfriend cooks dinner for us. He does real well to cook healthy meals. So that helps a lot. I'm on my own for breakfast and lunch though. So I have to be real careful with my selection of foods. I take antidepressants and they cause me to gain weight and I can't not take them. So I have that as a special challenge. I appreciate all your comments and information it is encouraging to see you working so hard at your weight loss. It gives me more motivation to press on with my weight loss. I want to be a Weight Warrior. Thank you.

Tia

Tia I'm on an antidepressant too. I was on Paxil for a couple of years and it seemed it took forever to lose anything. I did some research and asked my doctor to switch me to Wellbutrin which is 'weight neutral'. I've been titrating off it for the last couple of months because I do feel so much better. Check with your doctor about the Wellbutrin.

Get your bf to make a bit extra for dinner so you can take the leftovers to work for lunch. Are you able to eat at your desk at all? I have a problem eating anything until I've been up for a good three hours so I do kind of graze while I'm at work. I think that has been helping me. I thought I was starving earlier but I'm fine now, thankfully.

I find that when I eat healthily that I'm in a better mood and my poor old body doesn't ache as much either. Judy will tell you that she had asthma most of her life and when she'd been on her journey for a while the asthma went away. She had a problem with her eyes too and her healthy eating has healed her eyes. Proper nutrition is very important. I know I don't get enough good nutrition through food so I take quite a few supplements - I have done a lot of research and my doctor is cool with it too.

A lot of weight loss is through trial and error and occasionally we have to change things around to lose as much as we want to.

Weight Warriors unite!!! Fight to be light!!

Michelle

totallywiggedout replied to bigred53's response:
Me too, Tia. I'm on Ambien. But I also take St. John's Wort and Evening Primrose to even out all the rough edges.
Better safe than sorry. I skipped my SJW a couple of days last week and that's when I wanted to go postal on my household.

lol

huggs
k
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs per month till goal of 135 attained

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

tbird88 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
I take Lithium and it is pretty strong. But I also take wellbutrin and Risperadahl. Not am I only depressed... I am bipolar too. So it is no fun if I miss my medications. I dare never miss! And Lithium especially makes me gain weight.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been struggling with my weight for about 15 years. I was doing well after having three kids and was on my way to losing all my baby weight. The...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.