Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
trying new things
findingtheway posted:
So this is all new to me. I don't mean trying to lose weight but reaching out to others for support. I am a keep to myself type person. I am 30, I weigh 240lbs, I'm 5'2 and while I have spent many hours researching the best ways to lose weight, I struggle with it. I am a firm believer in exercise and balanced diet. I think those are the only true ways to maintain a healthy weight. I don't believe in diet pills or crash/fad diets. I love vegetables and fruits and fish and the feeling I get after a good work out. But I can't find the will to keep going. I have four amazing children that I love so much it hurts. I am aware of the risk my weight is posing to our lives. Not only is it a bad example for them but it's also dangerous for me. I don't want to end up fighting for my life because I'm fat. My daughter is also overweight and that is something that weighs on me so heavily, I can barely face it sometimes. That's why I'm trying this community effort now. I have all the technical knowledge to get going and make a change but something is standing in my way. I hate to hide behind an excuse of depression, but I know that stress and negativity can have a harsh effect on people and maybe that's something I need a little help dealing with. So tell me, how do I lose 100lbs?

bigred53 responded:
Hello and welcome! This is a wonderful site and I'm happy you found us.

It's kind of late but I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses tomorrow. I'm on my way to bed but I'll tell you more in the morning - unless you're an east coaster then it will probably be your afternoon. ..lol. I'm in Southern California.

Please come back every day if you can.

Michelle

jis4judy responded:
Hi Find
welcome aboard from your post I think you know the steps to getting to a healthy weight eating healthy foods is the best place to start. focus on fruits and vegies lean meats and fish
fat free dairy make sure you drink water to take care of thirst
stay away from processed foods as much as possible butter is healthier than margarine use real butter but in very small amounts you can have nuts in moderation seeds too
pay attention to portions too and most importantly is making small goals like 5 pounds achieve that then go for 5 more it will all ad up to what you want 100 pounds 5 pounds at a time because thinking about the 100 is rather daunting '
get some exercise most days of the week I do 6
last but not least make the changes to your eating habits and keep them for your lifetime that way you have maintaining built in . because going on a diet to lose weight then going back to old eating habits will just make you regain possibly even more than you removed ...
we call it making a life style change it will benefit your children too to eat healthy
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy replied to jis4judy's response:
I forgot something 100% whole grain I eat these in moderation ...
and be an avid label reader when you do consider buying something in a box made by a manufacturer avoid hydrogenated oils aka trans fats high frucos corn syrup
those items are lethal
also try to avoid the fake sugars they are as bad as the real thing ...
if you have an "trigger " foods identify them and stop buying them or making them ,,
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

findingtheway replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks for the advice. It's really hard to make changes like those but I know it's the best and only sure way to be successful.

findingtheway responded:
I like healthy foods but I work at a kitchen that serves mostly fried foods and greasy burgers. (It's a sports bar and grill) I don't always get a chance to eat real meals and it's just so easy and tempting to grab a snack of chicken wings or nachos instead of salad. That being said, I don't tend to snack a lot at work. The real problem is when I'm home. After cooking at work, I do not feel like putting in a lot of effort in at home and so I find myself snacking A LOT. And those snacks aren't satisfying so I end up having more and more. I'll eat a whole box of strudel muffins (for example) just by snacking too much.
I have also heard that one of the greatest tools to use is a food diary. I know that there are a lot of apps and this site has one too. The thing is that they just don't seem practical for me. Most the sites don't have the food I eat on them even after boasting about having hundreds of thousands of foods in their database. And when I'm working or busy, I'm not gonna be able to stop what I'm doing to write it down. Besides, unless it's from a box, there's no way I can know what the nutritional value is. Yesterday I made a wrap at work that consisted of a garlic-herb tortilla, roasted chicken breast, jack cheese, mushrooms, peppers, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and homemade honey mustard. How can I track that?

totallywiggedout replied to findingtheway's response:
My turn to chime in.
Hi FTW, welcome. I'll try to make this short since you are a busy, working mom.
Start a food and fitness planner here on WebMd , Sparkpeople or wherever. I find Wmd one is easiest for me, since I blog here.
If you can't find your food, then do like i do. Make your own recipe.
Like your wrap, for example...you will log seperate items from that wrap then "bundle them together" as a "frequent food", so that you can just click your frequents and get it from that list.
1. On the food and fitness planner, go to food log.
2. If you cannot find the specific tortilla you used, then get the info from that package and add it under "quickly add your own food" from top rt of page.... now this is just for the tortilla not the whole wrap
--then log it under lunch or wherever. and save, NOT save as frequent
3. then type in your lettuce, that's in the auto list, and how much you put in it, then under lunch again, not save as frequent but save....
4. then the same with each Individual element of the wrap...
5. Finally when all things are listed seperately, then at the bottom of "lunch" should appear a "save as frequent meal" tab. Click that, name it and SAVE it.

VOILA! you have just made up a frequent meal , that the logging computer has graciously added up the nutrients and calories for, that you can just use at will from now on.

you can do this for any recipe that you use. Just plug in individual items from the recipe then save as frequent.

huggs
kim
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs per month till goal of 135 attained

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

parakeet210 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Welcome! We're glad u found us!!
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 264.0. GW. 170 CW 258.8

mog1026 replied to parakeet210's response:
Ooopsy! I'm hearing a song called "EXCUSES". I think a food diary is the most important tool you have. As Dr. Phil says...How can you change what you don't acknowledge? Sure it's a hassle to look up the various components of a meal, but it's more of a hassle to be FAT! I'm 5'2" and FAT also, so I know how it feels. Lousy! And you still have the body of a young person. It gets harder to carry the pounds as you age, trust me. So google your food if its not in a database and add what calorie count you find. It gets easier and faster as you go along and use short cuts as Kim explained. Good Luck. Be tenacious. Don't Quit!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 212 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

bigred53 replied to mog1026's response:
Hi again FTW!! Here's my advice - get all of the junk food out of your home and don't/refuse to buy any more. You don't need it, your kids don't need it and neither does your hubby.

Another key, imo, is preparation, preparation, preparation. Take one of your days off and fix a bunch of healthy foods. Bake a big pan of boneless, skinless chicken breasts seasoned however you and your family prefer. Cut up a bunch of celery and put it in baggies, the same with carrots. Raw turnips are pretty tasty to snack on. Keep plenty of fruit around that your kids like. Make a big pot of soup and divide it up and freeze it, Only buy whole grain bread and cereals. Keep plenty of various kinds of vegetables around - fresh or frozen. Don't make special dinners or treats for your family. Make whatever healthy dinner and if they don't like it then tough. They'll survive and pretty soon learn to like healthy foods. As a family take a nice walk after dinne. Get yourself and the kids outside and as active as possible. Turn off the computer and TV. And water for everyone - no soda, koolaide, juices, etc.

I'm not saying it's going to be easy but with planning you can do it. Take some fat free Greek yogurt to work and cut up veggies to snack on. I used to cook in a restaurant many years ago and where I worked there were plenty of healthy things I could eat. You have to make up your mind that you are going to do whatever it takes to get yourself and your family healthy.

Come here as often as you can for advice, encouragment and just plain old venting and we will try to guide you.

Michelle

californiakayla responded:
"I have all the technical knowledge to get going and make a change but something is standing in my way. I hate to hide behind an excuse of depression,"

This is not an excuse"026 there are volumes of hardcore evidence as to depression, and education in food, being the main culprits behind obesity.

My doctor said that if you are having difficulty getting going, it is time to see a psychologist (making the appointment this week myself) to discuss meds/alternative therapy, to help take the edge off and make the "get-up-and-go" possible.

Your writing about the children just shred me; that is my biggest fear. If you can set an example and essentially forcefully impose a healthy lifestyle within the household, many positive things will happen!

You can do this, I believe in you. This is also the first time I've reached out so surround myself with a positive culture that is health oriented"026 support, from what I'm hearing, makes all the difference.

mog1026 replied to mog1026's response:
I just want to clarify something. When I referred to excuses, I was NOT talking about the original post's explanation of depression as a factor in obesity. Depression is a serious condition and I would imagine that most people who are 100 lbs above a healthy weight are dealing with it to some degree or another. Whether the weight or the depression came first will vary from person to person. But regardless, it's still there like a black cloud at times.

I DID mean to say that the complexities of keeping a food diary are worth overcoming. It's a "no excuses" issue in my book. It's work, but it has been essential to the folks here who have succeeded. Stick around and you will meet the people who have lost 100 lbs and kept it off. They show up and give us hope.
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 212 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

bigred53 replied to mog1026's response:
I'm going to butt in and talk a bit about meds for depression. They can be very helpful, however, many of them cause weight gain. I was on Paxil for a couple of years and was losing maybe 10 pounds a year. Then I did some more research and discovered Wellbutrin which is considered 'weight neutral'. I've been taking that close to two years and the weight has been coming off much faster and easier. Of course throughout that time I have also made other changes.

Reward yourself with things that you want not food. When I get to onderland (under 200 pounds) I'm going to buy myself an Anuschka purse (pretty expensive but beautiful). Another thing I'm doing is if I can go a month without full sugar soda - as in Pepsi - I can buy myself a new pair of smaller pants. I'm on day 2 of that particular quest...lol. I recently gave up coffee creamer - it wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I still use artificial sweetner and someday I'm going to wean myself off that too.

Don't make too many changes all at once or you can get discouraged. One of the regulars here says something like 'baby steps to a new lifestyle.' One step at a time and one day at a time.

Good luck to us all!!

Michelle

I need to be better about writing things down. I usually post what I eat on here. Helps to keep me honest and focused.

blondie454u responded:
You've gotten some great advice! Welcome aboard!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

findingtheway replied to bigred53's response:
Wow, I didn't realize how much of an impact joining an online community can have on me. Each of you taking the time to help me either with advice or encouragement means a lot to me. bigred53 , your suggestions are great and make it sound easier than I thought to get in control of what my family is eating. And californiakayla , your encouragement regarding my kids health concerns brought a tear to my eyes (literally). Thank you so much. I will definitely try out these different tactics. mog1026 , I do understand what you are saying about making excuses. It's a pet peeve of mine, but I'm not immune to it either. Thank you for making me face the truth on that one.

"Don't make too many changes all at once or you can get discouraged. One of the regulars here says something like 'baby steps to a new lifestyle.' One step at a time and one day at a time."-bigred53

"You have to make up your mind that you are going to do whatever it takes to get yourself and your family healthy." -bigred53

" If you can set an example and essentially forcefully impose a healthy lifestyle within the household, many positive things will happen!"-californiakayla

These are some quotes that really stand out to me and make me feel like I can absolutely do this and how. Thank you all.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello. I am happy to find this group! Over the last 10 years, I have allowed the pounds to creep up slowly. Now I find myself 57 pounds overweight! I...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.