Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Newbie: 344.8 starting point. Hello there!
californiakayla posted:
Hi there,

I'm Kayla-- nice to meet you all.

Very much looking forward to participating in this support group, because I've realized I need to surround myself with a healthy culture in order to be successful at permanent and sustainable weight loss.

Currently, my stats are 5'10", 344.8 pounds, in a woman's size 24W pant. About two years ago, I auditioned for "The Biggest Loser," and made healthful changes to lifestyle after deciding not to go through the with unsafe and drastic weight loss contractual obligations after making it in to the final 50 candidates; really frightening, scripted stuff is at play there, and I didn't want to subject myself to a nationally syndicated meat market.

Over the course of a year, I worked my body into the 200-club and was running a "5k a Day." Life threw a serious curveball-or-three at me, and in less than ten months, I've completely reverted back to my old habits of take-away food for nearly every meal (so expensive!), and little to no physical activity, resulting in a sixty pound weight gain in this short time period; mathematically working out to about 2 pounds per week.

I'm making an appointment with a psychologist, because it is clear that the eating habits reflect an underlying condition as the binge eating is admittedly uncontrollable. My current day-to-day work/life balance is absolute insanity, and I need an outlet to discuss healthier behaviors, or I'm at serious risk for cardiovascular coronary disorders in the very near future: two full-time jobs (one of which is high profile in the performing arts), and studying in the medical field… has created an exceptionally high-strung/over scheduled daily book literally 24/7.

Essentially it comes down to several very important points:
  • I'm in my mid-twenties: need to have my weight under control as soon as humanly possible, or else I will see dire consequences as I age. So far? Aside from psychological issues, the weight, thankfully, has had very little effect on my physical state, but with the last ten months of weight gain, it is apparent that my frame is under too much stress. My legs are really the worse for wear right now. At the dentist last Thursday, I was mortified when the hygienist took my blood pressure and said, "Wow, your BP is incredible considering how big you are!" Backhanded compliments… hurt.
  • In being apart of the medical field, and likewise the performing arts, it is critical to have weight under control just from the image perspective. To be honest (albeit painful to admit), being heavy in the medical world as well as PA is hugely taboo; very much frowned upon. I don't want my peers in post-grad to silently judge anymore. I just want to be respected for good research, not seen as "the smart Fat Girl."
  • I really would love to have a family in the next ten years, and I absolutely don't want to be the morbidly obese mom; I want to put the framework in place *now* in order to have a healthful future. Not only for my own well-being, but of that for a family. My worst nightmare are future children having to go through what I did as an obese child-- and I am determined to do whatever it takes to avoid this.

So that's the backstory! Giving myself 24 solid months to do this at even and healthful pace and then hopefully will be a maintenance point; starting today I'm going to bring that food diary back into my daily life and force at least twenty minutes of cardio activity until I'm back in the habit of a) awareness of my consumption, and b) the "working out" culture. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; you get fit in the gym… any health professional will spell it out. Eating habits; clean, healthy, eating habits, are essential to maintaing weight. No fad diets. Just being accountable for what you put in your mouth and incorporating some movement, 80/20.

Looking forward to interacting with you all here,

All best,
K

mog1026 responded:
That's a very thoughtful introduction. You just have to corral that good brain of yours and make it work for you, not against you. It seems you have all the external knowledge you need, I hope the doctor can help you resolve whatever is causing you to sabotage yourself. You're not alone. We all do it and that's how we got here. Welcome
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 212 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

jis4judy responded:
Hi Kayla welcome aboard in reading your intro I get the message that you know what to do it is just the getting started that is the problem .You know what to eat and what not to eat I do know that keeping the trigger foods out of the house helps a lot ..being in your 20s is a bonus your body is young and can respond well to healthy eating and staying on the healthy plan after the weight removal you basically have to keep doing the healthy lifestyle in order to maintain ..
I hope the doc visit can shed some light on whats holding you back .. Maybe you need a slower pace and maybe change 1 thing at a time look closely at your eating habits and make some changes you can live with forever once those are new habits change something else ..
for instance I started giving up sugar I didn;t buy fake sugar I just got used to eating less and less of it , now I use honey in my yogurts instead of sugar this all takes time and effort
in the beginning I was buying already sweetened yogurt then switched to plain fat free yogurt added my own fresh fruit to it with honey It took me a while to make the changes but I am still working on my journey I call it Judys Nutrition Quest I hope some of this helps
Hugs Judy :
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

californiakayla replied to mog1026's response:
Kathy, thank youI I loved this so much:

You just have to corral that good brain of yours and make it work for you, not against you.

Have never heard/read it written like that before, it is so SO true.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

totallywiggedout responded:
Welcome , Kayla. Congratulations about taking the bull by the horns and deciding once again to get yourself healthier.

The Biggest Loser, huh? I always knew it was scripted and I suppose it all has to be written out in a contract, since they drive you to exertion and challenge you with almost inhuman tasks with seemingly subhuman treatment. And, you're supposed to LIKE it, lol.

As for "healthy minded" health professionals, I always wonder about obese drs who preach weightloss and am forever shaking my head when I see nurses, doctors , interns and .... firefighters catching their smoke breaks.
Hypocrisy at its best, that's for sure.

By looking at your intro. you certainly know the drill. I have seen that quite a few of our younger girls who , in spite of their being heavy, are in good physical condition. If this is you, perhaps the couch to 5k program would be helpful. If you used to be a runner, it may be just the key to getting you back into top form. A few of our members have done it and gone on to attain goal weight and build much healthier, happier lives because of it.
If you don't want to jump right in with both feet just yet, sign into our community and check out the Resources tab at left of page. There are some really useful ideas, exercises and recipes that we have tried and deemed good enough to share.

WebMd has a food and fitness planner that makes old time "journaling" seem prehistoric. There are other online planners too, Sparkpeople, Livestrong, etc All are free and make the meal logging so much easier that it literally becomes a piece of cake.

You already know that your pre-prepared meals are a bad idea. So take a Sunday, or whatever day off you have, and preassemble your next weeks (or months) meals.
Buy and prepare from fresh. You control the sodium, the fats, the total nutrition. It may be a pain in the butt, but as you get smaller , your butt and the pain will too!

again, glad you have joined us. Let us know if you need anything and blog daily to your heart's content. We are open to just about any discussion topic. If it's weighing heavily on your mind, spit it out. It'll help the scale in the morning!

huggs
kim
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs per month till goal of 135 attained

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

californiakayla replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Kim and Judy,

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes"026 much appreciated.

I'll take a look at this food and fitness planner right away!

blondie454u responded:
Welcome!
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

smashley87 responded:
Hi Kayla! You have a great mindset and good for you for noticing your pitfalls. A bit of advice...... stay consistent, make weekly, monthly and yearly goals for yourself and write them down in a planner. I am also mid-twenties and have recently lost 50lbs. Although my highest weight was only 201lbs, I also got there through over-eating, but mainly because of depression over a medical issue. I work full time and go to school full time so I can understand how exhausted you feel. It's all about making it a lifestyle and if one day you mess up, it's okay! Pick yourself up the next day and don't give up! It's all about the present and the future! Good luck in your journey! P.s. I highly suggest using instagram to document your journey, it's great to share with others and find motivation in others!

californiakayla replied to smashley87's response:
Thank you, thank you! There is a whole field of studies going on about the impact of social networking on weight loss (accountability thing)"026 excellent advice-- especially since I use all of it already.

rachael2011 responded:
Hi Kayla. It's nice to meet you. Rachael
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 295.4 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

totallywiggedout replied to rachael2011's response:
HI Rachael!!!! {{{waves}}}

huggs
k
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs per month till goal of 135 attained

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

justmejust responded:
Welcome Kayla!
Laura
Baby steps, to a healthy lifestyle change. When you change your thoughts you will then change your weight. Getting healthy is about progress, not perfection.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've struggled with my weight since I was a child. I have lost and gained over the years and had a few times in my life where I maintained a good ...More

Helpful Tips

Tuesday Tips: Claiming Your Life Back
Today is Tuesday Tips Day where we can all share our best solutions or workarounds for certain dieting challenges. This week our topic is ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.