Skip to content
New here
cadutchgirl posted:
Hello--Im new to this site seeking help loosing weight. I am 48 years old and 10 years ago lost 75 pounds going low carb and working out a Curves. The curves location closed and my right knee failed me--long story--its been over a year since knee replacement and its doing great! I just cant seem to loose weight!! I did gain 40 pounds back so I joined a new gym-eat low carb but my middle is blowing up like a balloon--cant wear my jeans anymore! I know I know I am older and going through "the pause" but getting really discourged!! Joined here to track my intake so I can go over it with my Dr who seems to feel I eat to much...but I dont. Maybe dont always eat the best but I dont eat alot. I weight train 3 times a week and do yoga once and ab workout 3 times a week in the evenings at home. I do sit for my job but really try to get up and walk every 1 or 2 hours. I lost weight before but am stuck now so any advice??? Can I be to old now....kidding ((

jis4judy responded:
Hi Cadutchgirl
welcome aboard we have member of all ages here I am the old lady of the bunch . the biggest problem with dieting to lose weight is you eventually go off the diet not realizing your smaller body uses less calories so when you go back to old patterns the weight comes back and sometime more than we removed ...You are lucky you only repounded 40 of the 75
You might want to log allyour foods and weigh and measure them to get an accuarat calories count ' there is a god food and fitness planner on this site many of the other members use it .. I have been using fitday.com for a long time I removed almost 100 pounds over a decade ago and I am maintaining I never went on a diet just changed my eating habits to healthy foods and just keep on doing it we call this a life style change
I focus on fruits vegies whole grains fat free dairy lean meats and fish nuts in moderation I called my plan in the beginning Judy's Nutrition quest ... I know the "pause" is easier to get through when you eat healthy and stay away from sweets and fatty foods I went through hell with the "pause" I tried cooling myself of with icecream just made it worse I found out later that the hot flashes are made less if you eat health no processed foods
My plan was to get better nutrition so my body could heal itself and it worked lost weigh was a delightfull surprise
stick around we have lots of supportive members
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

cadutchgirl replied to jis4judy's response:
Thanks Judy! I just signed up to track my eating on here today and saw this comminity--glad for the support!!

tbird88 replied to cadutchgirl's response:
Welcome Cadutchgirl,

I am a newbie here too and I find it very helpful already. I get good advice and motivation here. It sounds like you have a good exercise routine. They say it is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. It sounds like you have the exercise taken care of. Well much success to you and look forward to chatting with you.
Tia SW 267 CW 250 GW 160

blondie454u responded:
Hello and welcome! This journey is a lifestyle change. You have to make changes for life! It's 80% food and 20% exercise. You can exercise all you like but until you get the eating down you're not going to have much success. A bonus to this is on the days you may not feel like working, you can say "well at least I am eating healthy today". Like today. I won't get to workout because I have weird schedule today but I am going to try my best to eat as healthy as possible.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi cadutchgirl. Welcome to our community. Even if you "only signed up to track intake" , you might find yourself dallying here more and more just to keep up with the members.
Lots goes on here, because we tend to share everything because, let's face it, everything in life can make us react with food binges.
Happy? we eat to celebrate.
Sad? we eat to console ourselves.
Just sort of blah and indifferent? we eat Because "what difference will it make".
LOL It truly is a never ending battle, and it helps to purge our souls here.

Since there are so many regular members that pop in daily, it helps to get to know people so that you can feel comfortable sharing and discussing the things that are triggering you or "enabling you" to overeat.

As Judy says, it helps to track and you are already willing to do that. It also helps to drink that water. Every day, all day. At least 64 oz per day.
Your body doesn't differentiate between hunger and thirst all that well. Hydrate and wait. If you are still hungry, then do a healthy snack with more water.

It's easy to repound. I'm at that same impasse right now, and I feel your pain about being in your late 40s. I just turned 49 myself.
The middle age spread sucks mightily and makes it extremely difficult to like ourselves . But we must. We must accept the fact that we are worth the extra effort that it does take for us to lose the weight and become healthier. For ourselves, first. Then for our loved ones.

Again, welcome aboard. I sure hope you join in on the discussions, although "lurking" is always an option, it's less fun!

kim
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs per month till goal of 135 attained

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

cadutchgirl replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you for the kind words everyone--appreciated!! I love this site and the food tracker so hoping keeping track will help--its key says Dr Oz..haha! Looking forward to learning lots from all of you!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello my name is Paige. I am 18 years old and in college. I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I had gotten down to my smallest in 11th grad...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.