Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Emotional Eating Disorder
keepthefaith217 posted:
Is there anyone else looking to overcome emotional eating? Allowing food to control your emotions, is worst than someone controlling you. Why? You can get rid of the person. You live with your emotions every second, of every minute, of every hour, of everyday, of every month and every year. It is like a roller coaster, the ride never ends. Ups and downs. Your hurting, food instantly enters your subconscious mind. Then, your conscious mind kicks in, and the war begins. You know d deep down within your soul you should absolutely not gouge out on a banana split, you do it anyway. Wow !!! That was delicious !!! Now, whatever was bothering you, is now all better. Overcoming emotional eating is a challenge, more so when you are doing it alone. I am asking if there are any men and women who struggle with this kind of disorder, to please reply to my post. LET'S WIN THIS CHALLENGE TOGETHER !!!!!! My current weight is 215.4. And my goal weight is 140 pounds. My weight loss journey began with WebMD on Sunday, April 27th when I weighed in. Monday, April 28th, I started my healthy eating lifestyle to weight loss. I live in Walden, NY 12586. Looking forward to meeting you.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mog1026 responded:
Hi! I think you'll find that every person here is a victim of emotional eating. We didn't get to this weight by eating with our brains! I think you need to get a trigger that wakes you up from the food coma and gives you some determination to change. And then you need to change your diet to eliminate processed food and sugar and begin eating nutritious meals full of fruits and veggies and lean meat and fish. It's tough the first few days but then it gets easier as the junk leaves your system and the cravings stop. Good luck. Start reading the old posts, there's tons of info. You'll find lots of support here!
Kathy SW 235.1 CW 209.2 GW 165

Greedily she ingorg'd without restraint,
And knew not eating Death
Milton, Paradise Lost

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi ktf, Welcome to "the community"!
As Kathy pointed out, each and every one of us is an emotional eater to one degree or other.

Eating disorders are very hard to manage, mainly because we can't avoid food like we could avoid drugs or alcohol . Food is necessary to fuel our bodies.
But we can manage what we binge on. If you know that your binges always consist of sweets followed (of course) by salties...
be prepared by purchasing fresh fruits and an air pop popcorn maker. Have the items out and visable or in the fridge at eye level, so that they are the ones you see when the out of control impulse hits and you are on auto pilot going into feeding frenzy.
Baby carrots, pre washed and cut celery, peeled/ sliced turnips, radishes, cherry tomatoes, slice sweet peppers...etc. Keep em all out and not down in the veggie drawers.
Even if you use a low cal or ff dipper, you'll still be getting less calories, fats, sugars and sodium than you would with a truly unhealthy binge.

"But that's not what I want when I'm lonely or hurt, or sad..."
True. You want to gorge on donuts, icecream, cake, brownies , cookies , Ho Ho's and King Dongs.
But if you don't buy them, you won't have those options.

NEVER go through the drive through. If , by God , you are planning on eating that whole 24 pc bucket of chicken and 2 sides, Do it Inside. In front of God and everybody.

You would never in a million years do that, right? Then why do you do it at home?
Doesn't what YOU think, about you eating that much, count as much as what others would think?
It sure should!

Click on my member photo, the scuba girl... lol..... read my opening statement. That's the opinion you should adopt for yourself. We all should accept that we are worth every effort to help ourselves overcome our obesity.

huggs
kim
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs per month till goal of 135 attained

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

jis4judy responded:
Hi KTF welcome aboard emotional eating is what got me obese and a plan to stop emotional eating involves looking closely at your eating habits and make changes like keeping the trigger foods out of the house you also have to find a different way to deal with the emotions feel them instead of stuffing them down with food Maybe take a walk to calm your self that's my daily thing to keep me on plan It also helps to post here when you do well or fall on your face we all have those experiences. Focus some effort to eat as healthy as you can because the better choices will keep you healthy and help your body heal itself..
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn replied to jis4judy's response:
Welcome! Here's another perspective to possibly help. When I am about to emotionally eat, I often use the false logic of "I had to go through all of (fill in the blank) so I DESERVE this now." If you can change your thought process by thinking differently every chance you get, it may help. Instead, think "I had to go through all of this, but this junk food will make me feel cruddy. I DESERVE good health and to feel good. So I'll take a walk, or listen to music, or drink some water, or eat my favorite salad instead."
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' - Y

Post reboot starting weight: 192.4 Goal: 140

keepthefaith217 replied to mog1026's response:
Thanks for your reply. After rereading my post, it sounded at the time I was the only one experiencing this disorder. I do apologize. Currently, I live with my daughter and grandson. He is 13. He likes chips and dip, I don't. I love ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, and an occasional dark chocolate candy bar. The 1st two, I do not buy anymore, at all. If I want ice cream, I get in my car and go to Toppings, a frozen yogurt place, 20 minutes from my home. When my life is running smoothly, my emotional eating takes a vacation. Only when I am upset, that, the emotional eating kicks in. I just began the weight loss program with this website on Monday 4/28/14. I might say it has helped me. I take the time to write down what I eat and then log them in. It's something I look forward to and know the outcome will be rewarding. Having the support is better than the craving....thanks again.

keepthefaith217 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Thank you so much for your input and your ideas. I went grocery shopping last night and bought some fruit and veggies, as well as meat and chicken. My daughter and her boyfriend have now jumped on the band wagon to eating healthier and to quit smoking. Quit smoking is a blessing in itself. I quit 25 years ago and do not miss it one bit. I am not as bad as I sound on my post. Thanks again

keepthefaith217 replied to jis4judy's response:
Thank you Judy for your reply and support. Since, I started this weight loss program to better my health and reach my goal weight has been a blessing already. I have really focused on keeping a journal on what I eat, then, log it in on this website. I have to drink more water, and exercise. My daughter has a hard time drinking the water. Do you have any suggestions for her in that area? Her and her boyfriend have jumped on the bandwagon to a more nutritional lifestyle. They want to quit smoking as well. I quit 25 years ago, and do not miss it, at all. Thanks again, Judy.

keepthefaith217 replied to rohvannyn's response:
You are so right on changing the thought process. I wrote down what you said and have it in my journal already. Thank you so very much for your support.

jis4judy replied to keepthefaith217's response:
Hi Faith
sometimes I have a difficult time with drinking enough water too If I add a slice of lemon to it that seems to help some of the other member used Crystal light in the water to flavor it I am not fond of the processed stuff so I use a slice of lemon instead
Hugs Judy

life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

jis4judy responded:
Oh BTW Faith congrats on the giving up smoking I never smoked
although I was a receiver of second hand smoke for many years You and your family will benefit from that change
Hugs Judy

blondie454u responded:
Emotional eating is caused by the endorphins you get after eating something you crave. It's the same endorphins that you get from using drugs or alcohol. Guess what? You can get those same endorphins from exercise. Most people don't get them because they look at exercise as boring or more work. Exercise is so much more than that. It releases stress, it keeps your hormones balanced, it builds muscle, and etc. If you exercise outside you get vitamin D from the sun. Going back to building muscle, more muscle you build up the more calories you burn. I'm not talking about getting all bulked up. A little toning will go a long way if you stick with it. You could google exercise and see all the benefits.
Amber CW 135-139 maintaining, SW 250. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 1Cor. 13:7

parakeet210 replied to blondie454u's response:
yes to everyone who has shown support. Welcome!!
This moment is your life, choose to live it. Grab all the gusto you can!!!

tweety 'keet'

SW 262.2. GW. 170 CW 259.6

Thanks Judy...I almost 4 lemons last evening. They were huge, never saw lemons that big. Left them there. I will be sure to get some tomorrow....thanks again.

My daughter gave up smoking when she was pregnant with her son. About 2 months after she gave birth, she went back to it. Last year, she tried again, and bought Blu, the fake cigarette. She stayed with it for 4 months, then, went back to smoking. I was never a chain smoker, but, every time I got a cold, it went straight to bronchitis. I remember being in a dance club one night after I had stopped for six months, and during the night began to cough as if I was smoking all night. My daughter and her boyfriend smoke out on our deck. Her son doesn't like the smell either. Peace & Joy to you, Diane

Spotlight: Member Stories

I just saw the group for the first time today. Hello, three years ago I was a size 24, now I am an 8 and have one size to go. I had a hard time with s...More

Helpful Tips

Diet Club Newcomer Tips
In the past we had a Diet Club FAQ: we frequently referred newcomers to it-because it had some great tips, ideas for getting started, and ... More
Was this Helpful?
63 of 78 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.