Skip to content
Got bad news from Dr, work 3rd shift, Need support & help
sluggo45692 posted:
Hello Everyone,
Here's my story and my problem.
I'm a 50 yo man and have always been big. I work 3rd shift and have a very sedentary job. I'm 50 plus pounds over weight. I'm not going to say I have tried every diet or tried to hard to loose the weight. I'd be lying. I have always been healthy and take very few meds. Gout & blood pressure.
Well the doctor told me my fasting sugar was 130. I'm thinking it's from me taking my meds before the test, but more test are coming.
I know what I'm suppost to do, but it's been hard. This is my 2nd round of 3rd shift and I gained 40 lbs over 5 years on the first round. I've already gained 20 after 1 year. There are nights that I can't get enough to eat.
I have 20 years of medical background and 6 years of food service background. Again, I know what I'm suppost to do, but could use some support at night.
I'm thinking if I can communicate with others like me, I can get it through my thick head to do what I'm suppost to.
I'm 294 lbs and 5'10''. I can cook about anything and know my biggest problem is portion control. If I'm thinking about diet plans and helping in food prep ideas for others, I think I can change some of my habits. One of my greatest loves is cooking. I'm also a person who likes to help and fix things. (Michelle & Roh knows from our other communities)
I will take any help and will give as good advise as I can to any who ask.

Good Luck
FirstPrevious12NextLast

bigred53 responded:
Welcome Sloggo! We need some testosterone around here! This is a wonderful group and I hope you'll stay. I come here daily as it helps me stay focused.

I hope you've been reading some of the past posts. That really helped me at first. I don't use any of the online food logging sites but I've been 'dieting' off and on most of my life - mostly off.

I'm also type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed just over eight years ago. I suggest you check out the diabetes community too. I learned a lot over there too.

I had high blood pressure too. I finally lost enough weight and I've been off those meds since last August with my doctor's blessing.

I know about having a sedentary job. For me the key is to have healthy food and snacks available.

Come back here whenever you can my friend. You'll get a lot of help from others who are on this journey to better health.

Michelle

jis4judy responded:
Hi sluggo welcome aboard
My hubby worked the graveyard shift for many years he also gained
I put him on a plan to lose and it worked
I made him lunches to take to work with instructions to only eat what I give him ... I packed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some cut up vegies bell peppers carrots and celery
and he drank black coffee

we would have a large meal around noon when I cooked a protein like chicken or pork a sweet potato reg potato or
brn rice and a green vegie a side salad

he would go to bed around 2 pm sleep till 10:30

you just have to make a plan that fits the work schedule
maybe since it is sedentary work you could do some sporadic exercise like squats jumping jacks .

try to look at your eating habits and make healthy changes

you do have to take that first step to get this started wishing doesn't work you have to put what you know to work for you be aware that it is a life style change that is needed not a diet ...that ends make changes that you are willing to do the rest of your life
Hugs Judy
SW 247 CW 150ish maintaining

Remember the Gold is not in the prize it's in the Journey
life may not be the Party we expected but while we are here we may as well dance

rohvannyn responded:
Welcome! You have reached about the friendliest, most helpful group of life-transformers I've ever met. They have been tremendously encouraging and helpful to me. I'm happy to have you here! I have some blood sugar issues and I can tell you that at the stage you are, it's very likely you can control or reverse your symptoms with diet. I'm a believer in lots of protein and limiting starches and sugars, that always helps me.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' - Y

Post reboot starting weight: 192.4 Goal: 140

rachael2011 replied to bigred53's response:
Welcome, Sluggo! I wish you luck with your third shift routine. I tried it a couple times and had a very hard time adjusting. Are you able to take mini breaks where you work...like go for a brisk walk around your building at break time or do you have to stay in the same area. Do you have internet access where you can do chair exercises on you tube or stretches? I have heard that weight loss is 80% how you eat and 20% exercise, but some scheduled movement might put you in a healthier frame of mind while you are at work. Again, good luck!
Rachael...under construction.

SW 325 CW 315.4 Short term goal-275 Goal weight- unsure

totallywiggedout responded:
Hi Sluggo, welcome over on this board.
I did 3rd shift for about 2 years. Although mine was busy factory work, I was the QC inspector for our product, there was still enough time to mess up my natural rhythm enough for me to gain 30 lbs too. It's not uncommon for that shift, but it does suck.

Like Rachael, I wonder what your actual shift looks like. If you eat at your desk, or if you have a cafeteria that you go to.... if you eat out of the machines or bring your stuff..... if you have a company fridge and mw available... that sort of thing. Let us know, it would help us make suggestions.

I'm probably the latest "bird" in this community. I am on Central time in Louisiana and pretty much stay up till at least 1:30 or 2 am every night. I check in quite a bit to read the posts, although I've been naughty about posting myself, so if you need some nighttime help/commisseration/butt kicking , I can make an effort to be here. Just give a "holler".

As for food prep. Do it on Sunday. Get all your raw veggies cut up and ziplocked for the week.
Also, chop an entire bag of onions, and about 8 green peppers at a time. Ziplock and freeze them for quick add ins to meals.

We all hear you on the out of control eating, and I have some suggestions about that.
Protein, protein and protein.

Boil up a dozen hard boiled eggs at a time, more if you eat 2-3 at a sitting

Cut up a couple bricks of hard cheese into 1" squares

Precook boneless/skinless chicken breasts and lean/trimmed pork loin to toss with salads or into soups

Roasted/seasoned chickpeas are great snacks and high protein

then there's the veggies....

Prebake 5-6 med sweet potatoes (in skin) and eat cold , diced into stuff, whirled into smoothies or scooped out of skin and used in soups w/ unsweetened almond milk

Grill several types of veggies then keep on hand for quick faux stir frys when reheated with your precooked pork or chicken

Brown rice is filling , just keep it to suggested portion sizes.

Which brings me to your "portion control" problem.
Purchase sectioned "toddler" plates. Walmart has the perfect ones. They come in 3 packs from recycled milk jugs. The small sections for meat , grains or fruit and the large one for salad. Then wrap it up and take it with you. Take 2 , for you night at work, with different meal setups so you don't get bored..

hope this helps some. Stay with us and let us know how you are doing.

huggs
kim
Reboot weight April 7, 2014... 198
Goal 6-9 lbs loss per month, goal 135

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

sluggo45692 responded:
Thank you all for the welcome.

I had 2 days off since I wrote my post. It's tough. I had a long talk to my wife and we both have decided to take our weight and diets a lot more seriously.

Since I was told last tuesday about my results I have dropped 6 lbs. The hardest problem I have is the hunger during my 4-6 hours after dinner. This was from the schedule change from working 10pm to 6 am to being off and trying to sleep a little with my wife. We eat dinner at around 6pm, the I'm up until 1-2 am. I fixed it with watermelon snack or a bowl of non sugary cereal.

I haven't exercised much yet, but my portion control is top priority right now. I have to control that or no exercise w/o will work. I have to get some weight off, so my ankles and back can support the exercise. One step at a time, one day at a time. This is harder than quitting smoking. I still have to eat.

Tonight is a large salad (no meat light dressing), cottage cheese w/tomato, 2 corn dogs (I know not good for you) and 2 bananas. I'm going to eat around 2am. Go home this morning and have a bowl of oats and a large glass of milk.

Normally would I would munch on little items all night. I don't go to the wheel of death ever (vending machines), don't drink soda (once a week maybe), and really try not to eat candy.

I'm just a big eater on meals and I love sandwichs, Meat and starchs have been the consistancy of our meals. That's changing, because we are planning meals and sticking to them. Wenesday will be taco salad with more salad that tacos. I have got to bring down my Triglycerides.

Thanks again for the welcome and support.

Good Luck

totallywiggedout replied to sluggo45692's response:
sluggo, grats on the 6lb loss so far. You are doing great.
As for the "no exercise" right now, no sweat. I understand completely. I did the same thing , myself.
I knew that if I tried to tackle the smaller portions/better eating choices and also had to go from "slug" to "jackrabbit" , I'd get overwhelmed and quit before I'd even started. It's best totake it one step at a time. It makes the changes easier to take and they tend to stick better and become habits.

keep at it.

huggs
kim

You must learn a new way to think before you can master a new way to be. ---- Marianne Williamson

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

bigred53 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Way to go Sluggo!!! Changing the way you eat is one of the most difficult things to do for all of us. I agree with the others - get the food part down and then worry about exercising. A lot of times, for me anyway, it comes down to one day at a time and one meal at a time.

I recently stopped drinking full sugar soda and using creamer in the coffee I make. I still get an iced coffee with sugar free vanilla from McD's every morning on the way to work. I've also decided to stop eating so much peanut butter. I got some Dove dark chocolate pieces last night as a substitute and for the sweet craving I usually get after lunch.

A real must is drinking plenty of water. Kim says all the time that our bodies can't tell the difference between hunger and thirst. So if you think you're hungry drink a big glass of water and wait 20 minutes or so. Then if you still feel hungry have a little something and be sure to include a protein with a carb.

Sluggo, if I can lose weight anybody can. I once weighed almost 350 pounds and now I'm probably around 230. It has taken me a long time (years) but during that time I have been creating good habits. Weight loss is not a race - remember who won? The tortoise, who was slow but steady.

Keep coming back. We're here to help, listen to vents and cheer victories!!

Michelle

rohvannyn replied to sluggo45692's response:
Great job understanding what your obstacles are and thinking of ways around them. Also, 6 pounds is an awesome start to your journey! Portion control is my downfall too, I think.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' -QGJ

'Try not. Only do.' - Y

Post reboot starting weight: 192.4 Goal: 140

sluggo45692 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you all for the support.
Couple of questions:
What's the rainbow challenge?
Is everyone weighting every day?

My start weight was 294 lbs. My goal is 220. The last time I was below 200 was 1981. It was after boot camp. All the dieticians, doctors, and trainers I have worked with have told me once a week weight is what to do. First thing after you get up and rest room visit on a specific day of the week. Starting loss is 5-10 lbs in the first 2 weeks, then 1-2 lbs a week.
Starving is not a good method of lossing weight, but being hungry is.
Being on 3rd shift has thrown off my internal clock for meals. I get up in the afternoon (around 3pm). I'm not hungry, but by 5, my stomach is screaming.

This is my plan. The family schedules are bad and we may eat from 5 to 7:30 pm. I try to hold out until we can enjoy a meal together. Got to have that family time.

I have to be at work by 10 pm. I try to eat around 1:30 to 2 am. I also try to keep this on one of my days off.

Off at 6 am, 1 hr drive, then I try to eat a light meal and try be up a hour before going to bed. My worst time for eating is this one. I love breakfest foods. Fried meats and eggs with taters & cheeses. It's hard to eat a bowl of oats or cereal with juice.
This is also my biggest craving time. I can eat 2-3 bowls of cereal, then crave meat. I could never be vegetarian and don't want to try.

This is me in a nut shell. I'm going to start the WebMD 7 minute work out after my 1st 10 lbs.

Michelle,
I'm glad your cutting sodas, but watch those "diet" one. They can be worse for you than real sugar. I can't stand the flavor of diet anything (after taste gag) and with kidney stones tea and dark cola are out. I limit myself to one coffee per day and use 1/2 & 1/2. Powdered creamers are full of other things I don't want in my system.

Kim & Roh,
My portion control is still intact. I have 2 burritos tonight with 2 oz of meat each and a lot of veggies. 1/2 oz of cheese and 1/2 tbsp of sour cream on each. I eat them slowly and made the 2nd one after I had eaten the first on. That way I stretched out my eating time and was full after the I finished the 2nd one. Normally I premake 2 and eat another one after I finish the first 2. To drink was ice water.

My wife only had one burrito where she normally eats 2 and had watermelon instead. I really love this woman. My ex wouldn't even try to work with me. When I stopped smoking, the ex was P.O.'d because I wouldn't buy cigarettes. I figured if I'm not smoking, then I'm not buying them. She had to get them herself. I won't even buy them for my mom or dad and I won't buy my dad booze. My wife understands that. So if We eat healthy, then we have a greater chance to succeed.
Hope everyone meets their goals for today.

Good Luck

totallywiggedout replied to sluggo45692's response:
Hey Sluggo, told u i'm up late..lol
Judy's Rainbow challenge is her daily reminder to us totry to eat as many colors in the rainbow as we can every day.
The more colorful the foods the higher nutrient values,and so if we eat to feed our bodies what they need we will have less opportunity or desire to stuff ourselves with crap.
You like potatoes. To get higher nutrients, switch to sweet potatoes. You get orange from the rainbow.
Spice them with sage ,salt and pepper and they r great fried in PAM and served w/ turkey bacon and eggs.
Add red onion, green pepper and mushrooms and you r well on your way to eating your rainbow for the day.

Huggs
Kim

Judy gone 6/1-6/11

bigred53 replied to totallywiggedout's response:
Hi there Sluggo!! You're off to a great start imo!!

I'll have maybe one or two diet sodas a week and sometimes none at all. I 'do' a lot of water mostly.

Btw watermelon is good for kidney stones and so is citrus. Squeeze some lemon/lime/orange juice in your water.

I love potatoes too, especially the red ones which don't seem to spike my blood sugar like the russets do. Sweet potatoes or yams are really very good and much healthier. I like mine nuked with little salt and pepper. I need to have them more often.

It is difficult to change the habits of a lifetime to a new and healthier way of eating. One step at a time and one day at a time. After a while you'll get kind of sick if you eat something you used to eat.

Michelle

ausgram responded:
Ok, I want to put in my 2 cents too. First thing you have to look at is your age. Your not a spring chicken anymore. You have to learn that you can't eat or do things like you use to and the older you get the more you have to cut back and be more active. I wish someone told me that when I was 50. maybe I would have listened, maybe not, but I hope you do and not have to fight this gaining and maybe getting diabetes. Stay on this WebMD help and you may make it. But you have to be determined too. Good luck buddy.
AusGram -SW - 194; CW -185; GW -150

Don't live life comparing yourself to everyone else.
God has created you to be you and you are free to be you.

kalimiller responded:
Welcome

I have a sedentary job as well - I'm at a desk all day. I think what has helped me the most is to have water always available for myself. If I run out I get up and refill. Having water helps a lot when I get munchy. I also try to have set times that I will eat at work. I eat breakfast before I come to work. I eat a snack about three hours after I've been here. I have lunch 2-3 hours later. Then it's about 3 hours until I go home and can snack again. I personally think that smaller meals more often helps - but that's just what helps me the most.

Glad to have you here!
-Kali

Starting weight: 198 Current weight: 191

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 47, have a beautiful daughter who is disabled, I'm disabled, love my pets, at present very depressed about everything but still believe Go...More

Helpful Tips

cinnamon
I am diabetic and a sure way to loose weight fast is cut the carbs, exercise, and take a third of a T-spoon of cinnamon after every meal ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.